Singh Groove Test Engine – the Real Power Moves

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

David Vizard
Guru
Guru
Re: Singh Groove Test Engine – the Real Power Moves

Post by David Vizard »

RevTheory wrote:I said I thought he'd at least sneak up on 350 hp. Don't I at least get a ribbon? Probably not... :lol:
NO - but as a special treat the next time I am in your area you can buy me a rum & coke!!!!!!
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

David Vizard wrote:
RevTheory wrote:I said I thought he'd at least sneak up on 350 hp. Don't I at least get a ribbon? Probably not... :lol:
NO - but as a special treat the next time I am in your area you can buy me a rum & coke!!!!!!
DV
I'll have the sangria at the ready!
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

gvx wrote:
gvx wrote:360 HP/ 372 TQ
if you guess was wayoff 358hp/378tq I would guess I am a big time looser also lol :roll:
Ah, but your score was in reference to EMC numbers, while David's was using Terry's dyno, so his score is 358/378 vs. actual 351/366 or off by 19.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
user-612937456

Post by user-612937456 »

Well I'm clear as mud now LOL Sounds like to me a guy named Bubba down at the local truckers CB shop. What to say the way it works out with him is he has 2 different watt meters he buys radios with the first meter any resales radios with a second meter I don't know if this is what you're referring to here but it is a really cool story LOL
psychomotors
Pro
Pro

Post by psychomotors »

MadBill wrote:Working from the EMC dyno calibration with which most members are more familiar (thus 362 HP, 375 lb-ft.), the rankings I come up with are:

1st: Casper with 358/375 for 4.

2nd: gvx with 360/372 for a score of 5.

3rd: tie between Midnight and Gary, both with 365/380, for scores of 8.

5th: psy with 375/375 for a score of 13.

Given the slightly vague terms of the original challenge, I think the stand-up move for David is to award both Walter and Casper autographed copies of his book! \:D/

Well done all!
Always the bridesmaid and never the bride :lol:
Everyone appreciates your honesty , until you're honest with them , then you're an @$$hole.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Well it seems we are not done yet with this 306. The next engine to go on the dyno was late so one more test is being done and it's a real quicky. Terry is going to try some spacers.

We have had the Performer manifolds respond to more plenum but that was on engines with more power. Still it'as worth a try here so lets see what it does.
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
Casper393W
Pro
Pro

Post by Casper393W »

I want to say thanks to David for giving me a signed copy of his "Chevy Big Blocks...How to build Max Performance on a budget".... Now I'm a Diehard Ford Man! I have all of his other books and thought what the heck... Guess what I learned even more by this book! Things I can apply in other builds... So Thanks again.... I look forward to the next guess game!
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

David Vizard wrote:Well it seems we are not done yet with this 306. The next engine to go on the dyno was late so one more test is being done and it's a real quicky. Terry is going to try some spacers.

We have had the Performer manifolds respond to more plenum but that was on engines with more power. Still it'as worth a try here so lets see what it does.
DV
Do you have any height limit in mind ... 1/2" or 1" or 2" ?

Jomar performance products has a 1" spacer meant for a 2 plane manifold called the "Equalizer" p/n 5029 and it works well most of the time.
JOMAR also has a "Powercone" which is normally for a single plane manifold but, seems to also work well on most dual plane manifolds There are several different "Powercone" spacers depending upon carb throttle bore size. 1 9/16" - 1 11/16" - 1 3/4".
I think they even have a 1" bore for a restrictor 390 carb.

(248) 322-3080 -- http://www.jomarperformance.com
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Walter,

Thanks for the spacer info here. I passed this on to Terry and he said he would round up whatever he could for a test this coming Friday (tomorrow). If we fail at that do you have any more specific info that I could use in my book as this looks like it could be 'easy power' if the appropriate spacer was selected.
Thanks
DV
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Screenshot_2016-08-25-17-13-45.png
I ground a spacer similar to this for my "Max torque 355 on 87 octane" old work truck engine. I started with a 1" four hole that I tapered but left the plenums fully divided. Worked well with 900cfm throttle body injection. Thanks, Charlie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Charlie,
Thanks for that tip. next time I have a build that looks like what I suspect yours was then I will give that a try.

Tomorrow we will see where we went with our spacer test. Could be that our motor is not staving of air in the carb department so gains may be minimal - still we'll see - after all that's what we have a dyno for.

DV
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

David Vizard wrote:Walter,

Thanks for the spacer info here. I passed this on to Terry and he said he would round up whatever he could for a test this coming Friday (tomorrow). If we fail at that do you have any more specific info that I could use in my book as this looks like it could be 'easy power' if the appropriate spacer was selected.
Thanks
DV
I have rarely found times when a spacer was NOT worth some torque or horsepower or both.

The issue becomes "which" spacer, as almost every combination usually requires something different.
I have 2 large boxes of all kinds of spacers and just keep changing them, at whatever height is wanted, till I get one that is superior.
Then buy one like it for that customers engine.

I have a few which JOMAR makes for me but, won't make them in mass because they are not "sexy" looking and people wanting a spacer, buy a lot on what they look like so, the LOOKS of it seems most important to merchandising.
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

I have one that sometimes can work well on a dual plane. The spacer started out as a 1 inch four hole but it is now a three hole with one side is cut out into an oval. I put it on the intake with the two hole side over the deep plane and the oval hole over the top plane. I've seen it be quite good once in a while especially if the intake is a really low one and the carburetor isn't particularly great.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

DaveMcLain wrote:I have one that sometimes can work well on a dual plane. The spacer started out as a 1 inch four hole but it is now a three hole with one side is cut out into an oval. I put it on the intake with the two hole side over the deep plane and the oval hole over the top plane. I've seen it be quite good once in a while especially if the intake is a really low one and the carburetor isn't particularly great.
That pretty much explains the Jomar "Equalizer" spacer.
It tends to more equalize the velocities coming from the bottom of the carb bores to the manifold floor.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Looks like some good input from Dave and Walter here.

We acted upon advise given and tried a variety of spacers. The results were a little indifferent but not to far off what might have been expected. At best we picked up a couple of lbs-ft and a couple of hp. I suspect the reason for such a small gain was that the engine was not limited by the 650 CFM QFT carb but the cylinder heads and the short cam (268 deg.).

In the past we have seen a spacer on an 8.2 decked block motor in the 500 hp range make better than 10 lbs-ft and 12 hp so we know that spacers can be effective. the bottom line is that the engine actually has to need one before it does anything.

We may have just one more test on this motor which if successful will be of real interest to almost every ST poster.
Will keep you guys up to speed on this.
DV