Cryo

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

MikeD
Cryo

Post by MikeD »

I've been do a little research on the subject and would like to get others take on it. Seems there are different variations on the process. Dry cryo or Wet Cryo . Dry then wet. Cryo then bring up to room temperature or Cryo then heat. Not sure which is best if there even is a best method.
andyf
Guru
Guru

Re: Cryo

Post by andyf »

It is a fairly well developed process for taking money out of your pocket and putting it into their pocket. Those results are well documented. Any other results, we'll as the man says, your mileage may vary.
Andy F.
AR Engineering
MikeD

Post by MikeD »

Winberg and Bryant are using it for their cranks so their must be something to it. I'm trying to find out which variation of the process is best.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

He, He!!

Talk to your local, "rubber-tired Bull", and ask him if you can drop a crank in his cryo, "sperm bank", tank??

He, He!!

pdq67
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

MikeD wrote:I've been do a little research on the subject and would like to get others take on it. Seems there are different variations on the process. Dry cryo or Wet Cryo . Dry then wet. Cryo then bring up to room temperature or Cryo then heat. Not sure which is best if there even is a best method.
I think you have the correct approach in that it is a very large and complex topic.

https://www.cryogenicsociety.org/ might be a good contact for you to direct your studies.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
MikeD

Post by MikeD »

Kevin, thank you. Agreed. From what I've seen their is:
Dry-No direct exposure to liquid nitrogen
Wet-direct exposure to liquid nitrogen
-then if so at what temp? Minus 300 seems to be best so it doesn't shock the metal. But does direct exposure really make a difference??
Some companies claim that the shape of the chamber makes a difference?
One vendor I spoke to said their may be some "cosmetic" rust. I wont be using him...

Tough to find an unbiased answer...
kirkwoodken
Guru
Guru

Post by kirkwoodken »

Just freezing something does not add to improving its mechanical properties. Some steels are greatly improved with cryo. VASCO Supreme (T-15 high speed steel) is improved greatly with cold stabilizing, makes it loss prone to physical shock damage. Some gear steels show good improvements. But there are other grades where improvements are minimal or nonexistant. This type of information was easily obtained from tool steel companies a few years ago. Today, I don't know.
"Life is too short to not run a solid roller cam."
"Anything is possible, if you don't know what you're talking about."
I am NOT an Expert, and DEFINITELY NOT a GURU.
Kirkwoodken
Olefud
Pro
Pro

Post by Olefud »

My take is that cryo is a form of heat treatment. It can do some good in limited cases –perhaps the most universal benefit is stress relief. Liquid nitrogen can contract the workpiece too fast generating harmful strains. Vapor is gentler.
6 cylinder puller
Pro
Pro

Post by 6 cylinder puller »

Now don't hold me to this as I was not there but was told the story from the guy who had the engine built, but two 383 Chevy strokers were built at the same time both had the same everything other than one had its parts and block cryogenically treated, I don't know which process it was treated with just that when both engines were assembled with spark plugs removed the noncryo engine took 24 pounds of tq to turn with a tq wrench and the cryogenically took 14 pounds of tq. Truthfully I think he worked for a large machine shop and his parts were cryoed with there machined parts to fill the freezer.
fdicrasto
Expert
Expert

Post by fdicrasto »

For what its worth, my machinist was very surprised when boring and decking my old bbc bowtie block that the machining chips and dust was much cleaner then any other bbc blocks he had done. His shop does a lot of marine race stuff and he has the experience to back up his statement. I mentioned the fact that the block had been cryoed and we both concluded that something was going on with that process that seemed positive. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.
twl
Expert
Expert

Post by twl »

Something is DEFINITELY going on with cryo.

Whether it will do what someone specifically wants for their own application may vary.

We use it to help the stability of our vintage crudely cast cylinder barrels, so the stay straight and round during the wildly varying temperature variations our aircooled singles see. We also use cryo treated valve springs, and I suspect most others here do too, even if they don't realize it.

It is very commonly used in competition rifle barrels to help reduce unwanted movement from heat, and to extend barrel life by reducing wear. This is practically standard practice for top grade rifle barrels.

So yes, it does something useful for certain applications. Whether it makes any more power for you, or makes your engine stronger or more reliable depends on how you use it.