IDK about MME or MTBE
no airport nearby- is that why no LL?
BradH
Guru
Guru
Re: "Best" Race Fuel options to blend w/ 93 E10

Post by BradH »

In no particular order...

I already know how to do the math, probably for at least 25 years. Hell, I already gave the blending ratios for each race fuel I listed.

No close airport, and the ones in the area are very strict about who they sell to.

I don't have any local sources that sell the 100 unleaded from a pump by the gallon. All of the fuels I mentioned are sold in 5-gallon cans and cost about $60, give or take. At $10+ per gallon and an 18-gallon fuel tank, running it straight isn't realistic. I don't know at this point if I can get it much cheaper from a pump at a local track.

I'd still like to know if the issue with blending leaded fuel with an alcohol-blend unleaded applies to ethanol, as well as methanol, in order to rule out the 110 leaded.

No, my fuel system is not set up with a return line to allow "auto blending" the two different fuels.

EDIT: Sunoco MO2X... leaded race fuel with... ethanol
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

Yeah, I'd read that thread. Sunoco also uses MMT in their 260.GT Plus, along with about 14% ethanol, so the whole thing about metal compounds with alcohol is very unclear to me at this point.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

What's wrong with using, "good/fresh", E85 that, "tests", 85 percent ethanol? Just buy a test kit is all to verify that it is 85 percent ethanol.

E85t should have an octane rating of 104 to maybe 105 or so, so it is a good fuel. And it has been said that dedicated blown engine guys have ran the stuff up as high as 17 to 1 CR, but I have no experience in this?

Can you buy bulk E98+ or whatever the Gov. requires be blended into pump gasoline from a local bulk fuels distribution tank farm?

We have one south of town on Hwy 63 so know bulk plants are around.

Plus, Missouri has several ethanol producing plants around. I have had field trips through two of them in the past. The plant personnel told us that freshly made E98+ is denatured with unleaded gasoline to keep people from stealing it and selling it as, "moonshine", so go from there.

pdq67
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

E85 not available at the pumps where I am.

In case it wasn't clear, this is a street/strip car that is driven to.tracks ranging from about 70 to 110 miles away.
ijames
Expert
Expert

Post by ijames »

Tetraethyl lead is listed as insoluble in water and soluble in nonpolar solvents, so it will be more soluble in ethanol than in methanol but I can't say how much more soluble. I found one reference online that listed it as soluble in ethanol but with no quantitative data (but from experience that usually means at least 10% which is way more than needed here) and no mention of methanol. Given that pump gas is 10% ethanol and 90% pretty non-polar gasoline that should dissolve TEL pretty well, and given the small amounts of TEL used in race gas (under 1%), I really don't think that there would be any solubility issues mixing some leaded race gas with 93 octane E10 pump gas. I know several people who have routinely added C16 to 93 octane pump gas in their turbo regals and ran "lots more boost" with no obvious problems, but there's no telling what final octane they achieved. It sounds to me like your best solution is to use the highest octane leaded race gas you can, so you get the lowest final price per gallon. I do think you need to come up with a good way to do the mixing that is sealed so you don't lose a lot of fuel vapor in the process, both for fire safety and to prevent octane loss. I'm also in the DC area (Maryland near Baltimore); send me an email if you want to compare notes about race gas and E85 availability.
Carl Ijames, chemist not engine builder
carl ddott ijames aatt verizon ddott net
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Does anyone have a way of checking pump gas for its amount of ethanol? My understanding through VP Fuels and other sources is that pump gas manufactures are getting their octane numbers using ethanol, meaning that 93 would have a higher % of ethanol than 87 making 87 better for blending.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

GARY C wrote:Does anyone have a way of checking pump gas for its amount of ethanol? My understanding through VP Fuels and other sources is that pump gas manufactures are getting their octane numbers using ethanol, meaning that 93 would have a higher % of ethanol than 87 making 87 better for blending.
go to a marine dealer and buy a Mallory ethanol tester and you can read the % directly
Old School
Pro
Pro

Post by Old School »

Getting back to your original question. This response is from someone that has no training in fuel chemistry, and no chemistry except for high school nearly five decades ago, so I will make a stab and then everyone cam poke holes in my reasoning.

I would use the 110. It will take less for blending thus more economical. The 110 has no oxygen so the air/fuel ratio will be dependent on the 93 and not both fuels. The lack of oxygen may produce a little less power that may be found with tuning but power was not in the original question. I feel the less Sunoco you can use the better it will "blend" and stay "blended".

It would be interesting to maybe try a blend with all three and see if there is a difference in power and driveability.
BBO Omega

Post by BBO Omega »

Have you ever thought about using a Water / Meth injection kit?
73 Omega, 468 BBO, 4.185 ICON Pistons,RR/Wenzler Heads with HS 1.7 rockers and PAC 1220X Springs,J&S 5-main Halo with Billet Caps, .590I .580E 242I 256E HR Cam, 1000hp Carb,2" x 3 1/2" headers,Coan 2900rpm Conv.,TH400,3.73 12 bolt,11.32/118
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

BBO Omega wrote:Have you ever thought about using a Water / Meth injection kit?
I've looked into that briefly, but not enough to get a "warm & fuzzy" that's what I want to do.
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

pamotorman wrote: go to a marine dealer and buy a Mallory ethanol tester and you can read the % directly
I think I want one of those, too.