pre-lube new engine

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

chevy art
Pro
Pro
pre-lube new engine

Post by chevy art »

could someone explain the proper procedure to prelube a new small block chevy. i had engine guilt a few years ago and the builder prelubed it. i have just rotated it avery so often to move valve springs. ready to start the new engine AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE EXACT CORRECT PROCEDURE TO PRELUBE THIS ENGINE. I HAVE A GOOD DRILL AND THE CORRECT TOOL TO DO THE PRELUBE. THANKS ART
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Re: pre-lube new engine

Post by steve cowan »

art,

first if you are using a flat tappet cam,i would mark the pushrods near the rocker to make sure they are all spinning when engine is turned over
i would of done this during the build but you are sayin that you had the engine built by somebody else
this is to verify the lifter will rotate in the bore or you could have a cam failure on start up
i know the question is how to prime the oiling system but this might of helped you
i am guessing the engine is in the car-better next time to pre-lube and check lifter rotation on engine stand
i am not trying to offend you and i dont actually know what you have done art just trying to help
anyway back to the priming
using a oil priming tool on a drill or i personally prefer an old distributor with a bolt welded on top of shaft and using a speed brace and socket by hand
i have found the drill chuck can spin on the priming tool and drop metal frags
rocker covers off spin up your drill and check you have oil at the rockers
rotate the engine at 90-180 deg intervals and spin drill
you should get oil to all rockers and also check oil pressure on guage if it it mechanical
if you are using a electric guage i would do your best to hook a mechanical in the engine bay as i personally think this is way more accurate
once you are happy,reassemble rocker covers,fit distributor etc etc etc
good luck chevy
i hope this has helped you

steve c
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

chevy art
Pro
Pro

Post by chevy art »

thanks Steve and WRYM. engine has a solid roller. i have a real good primer tool. i used the old distributor trick years ago on a 409 chevy engine, but sold the engine before i ever got a chance to use it and thats why i dont know the proper way to pre- lube the engine. from what Steve has said and the article that Wrm recommended, i now have a good idea how to do this pre-lube. thanks again art