Moderator: Team

wyrmrider
Guru
Guru
Re: Chrysler 440/512ci cylinder head

Post by wyrmrider »

yup Indy, you already have the manifold
full cage etc already?
Do those Indy's have raised ports on the exhaust plan your headers that's why I asked about rack and pinon etc but you are way ahead of me
budget the rockers you can find all the parts surplus if you search hard
Is your bottom end going to be strong enough
Elmar Þór

Post by Elmar Þór »

Hi, are these good ? Nice flow numbers :)

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/prod ... rtid=27687

Elmar
andyf
Guru
Guru

Post by andyf »

Well if you want to go faster then you'll need more power. 700 hp should get you to mid-9's and 800 hp would get you to low 9's. Figure out how fast you want to go and check to see how fat your wallet is and then make a decision.

There are plenty of Mopar heads available so 700 hp, 800 hp or 900 hp is no problem. I will say that a production 440 block is not going to last long at 800 hp. They'll usually crack the main webs in a season of racing. So unless you have a large supply of engine blocks you should either accept the fact that you are limited to mid 9's, or just suck it up now and buy a good block.

The most cost effective approach would be to pull the Stage VI heads off over the winter and send them out for professional porting. You shouldn't have any problem getting those heads to flow well enough to make 700 hp. If you want to make more than 700 hp then I'd suggest digging deep into the wallet and buying a race block. Otherwise you'll be putting the whole investment at risk. Driving over the crankshaft at 130 mph could tear up the car as well as destroy the entire engine.
Andy F.
AR Engineering
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

andyf wrote:
The most cost effective approach would be to pull the Stage VI heads off over the winter and send them out for professional porting. You shouldn't have any problem getting those heads to flow well enough to make 700 hp. If you want to make more than 700 hp then I'd suggest digging deep into the wallet and buying a race block. Otherwise you'll be putting the whole investment at risk. Driving over the crankshaft at 130 mph could tear up the car as well as destroy the entire engine.
Horsepower is really not a good measure of the block integrity.
However, TORQUE is. A smaller engine revved higher will allow the block to last longer at the same horsepower levels.

Let's not forget that driving over the crank and all that oil may kill YOU.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
andyf
Guru
Guru

Post by andyf »

The OP says he has a 512 inch 440 which most likely is a 0.060 over production block with a 1/2 inch stroker crank (4.25 stroke). In which case the engine is basically maxed out. Cylinder walls will be thin at 0.060 over and the long stroke puts a lot of stress on the block. Those engines can last a long time in a street car but not so long in a race car.
Andy F.
AR Engineering
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

Go over the flow numbers on the Hughes site and at stan weiss site
you will see that the Hemi Head conversion flows more for less dollars and you do not have to rev them as high as an Indy or whatever to make great power
I would not bore a 440 block any more than .030 for this build, center counterweights
I have driven over a crank (and rods and pistons and most of the block and cam-- took out a tire no fun and I was just making a warm up pass
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

If we are talking 2" ID headers they are too big and the motor will forfeit mid range torque, like right where that 5k converter stalls!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

agree on the headers- rookie mistake going to big If you already have high buck headers you could make step headers out of them
Pipe Max could tell you how big and how long to make the first step, and as straight off the head as possible
you can always blow smoke out the exhaust port and see which way the initial should run- or use water
miniv8
Expert
Expert

Post by miniv8 »

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I built the front exit headers out of the set allready in the car, they were an old superstock unit I think, but would'nt fit when this shortblock was put in as the deck is taller and the headers would hit everywhere.

For a 512ci engine I would'nt have imagined the 2" headers being too big... so thank's!
Magnús Aðalvíkingur Finnbjörnsson
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Headers are like Cam's , unless the motor spends most of its run time in the last 500 rpm of its hp power band then you are better off with a tad too small of a tube off of the Exh ports then too large !
As long as the tube is 1/16" larger around the perimeter ,then the exit of the Exh flange all will be fine, a good merge collector in the header is what to focus on as that can add to a greater level of VE big time and across a much wider rpm range!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
IDT-572

Post by IDT-572 »

Indy 440-1 cnc heads, I did a 540 inch engine for a friend and had them on the flow bench and they were 380 intake 250 exhaust. Small runner and good air speed.
andyf
Guru
Guru

Post by andyf »

miniv8 wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I built the front exit headers out of the set allready in the car, they were an old superstock unit I think, but would'nt fit when this shortblock was put in as the deck is taller and the headers would hit everywhere.

For a 512ci engine I would'nt have imagined the 2" headers being too big... so thank's!
You can pick up a copy of PipeMax and run the numbers for your engine and then you'll know what size the headers should be. I bet that 2" is just about perfect for a 512 inch bracket race type of engine. Power peak should be around 6500 rpm with MW ports so 2" pipe that is about 32 inches long with a 3.5 inch collector is probably going to work pretty well.
Andy F.
AR Engineering
gregsdart

Post by gregsdart »

The posted ET and mph says to me this car has the converter and gears to use a big head like a 440-1. A move to a 400 block is also almost a must do. If you go to a 400 block now, you have parts you can sell to offset the cost of going 400. If you run the 440 with bigger heads, probably not.
1965 dodge Dart, 549 cu in wedge, 8.60 at 156 mph best. 2905 lbs, soon, 8.40s!
Lenni AMC

Post by Lenni AMC »

NOS :mrgreen:
Elmar Þór

Post by Elmar Þór »

Satt Lenni, bara gasa þetta til tunglsins :)