chevy short block

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

chevy art
Pro
Pro
chevy short block

Post by chevy art »

have a sbc short block, 350 cubes, 4 bolt main. can anyone tell me the year and horsepower of this short block, number vo199800, and cast number 3970010. thanks art
user-612937456

Re: chevy short block

Post by user-612937456 »

Horsepower numbers don't mean nothing without the original cylinder heads camshaft exhaust carburetor and intake on it. More important it does it have Dish Pistons or flat tops, and is in a cast crank for a steel crank? The code is elusive on the sights with a code list but I come up with
1969 VO 350 CI m/t, 3 spd - HP255 4
See if the date casting is a 1969 it will be located on the rear of the block on the drivers side flange that the bellhousing bolts to? It will look like 8 21 69 for example
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Look for the long alpha/numeric string on the little pad that is above the pass top water pump bolt IF it hasn't been decked and they are gone!

The letters at the end decode the engines OEM Hp application as well as maybe tranny, carb, smog, etc...

Like a '67 302, Z-28 engine decodes to "MO" sort of deal!!

Might look over on NastyZ28, Mortec, and Chevtech for this info, I forget?

OR post the letters back if you can and I will try to decode it for you. I have a couple of books that list this sort of info is all.

pdq67
chevy art
Pro
Pro

Post by chevy art »

thanks gvs. that is the info i didnt know how to get. the vin # you used does tell the horsepower and so now i know its was just a plain jane engine. all the 350 blocks from 68 up into the 70s were all just about the same and were either 2 bolt or 4 bolt maIns. they were used on cars and trucks. alot of the trucks, even with low horsepower had forged steel cranks. cant tell that without taking the crank out. and check the front snout area. ive been messing with these blocks since the 60's, but i just have a hard time getting the vin number codes from the internet sites. casting numbers are easy. thanks again, art
chevy art
Pro
Pro

Post by chevy art »

thanks pdq. . i think i have the correct info from other members post. whAT DO YOU THINK. ART
user-612937456

Post by user-612937456 »

The forged crank can be identified by the flywheel flange on the outside perimeter edge you should be able to identify the wide forging mark or cast cranks are identified by the sharp casting line.
chevy art
Pro
Pro

Post by chevy art »

thanks again gvx. im gonna check what i have. i only use the early blocks and sometimes the forged cranks can be used. art
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Again if you can...

Look for the long alpha/numeric string on the little pad that is above the pass top water pump bolt IF it hasn't been decked and they are gone!

Post the letters at the end of it back if you can and I will try to decode it for you.

pdq67