China big block chevy

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Newold1
Guru
Guru
Re: China big block chevy

Post by Newold1 »

Obviously he could purchase a new or used fabricated pan such as those made by Stef's, Hamburger, Moroso, Canton or others and modify it very easily to fit the additional width of that front billet cap.
A standard 4 bolt block front cap is not that much larger than these billet 4 bolt caps and I am not sure if a Chevelle big block oil pan fits over standard 4 bolt front caps. Good question for our Chevelle experts?
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
Notalent

Post by Notalent »

These blocks have been around for a while and are proven in the Industrial world. An aftermarket pan would def be needed, the pan that Generac looks similar to what a 10qt offshore Marine pan would, see the link.

http://advancedsalesgroup.com/industrial-engines/
ATK HIGH PERFORMANCE ENGINES

WWW.HIGH-PERFORMANCE-ENGINES.COM

CUSTOM BUILT STREET/STRIP & RACING ENGINES!
Zmechanic
Pro
Pro

Post by Zmechanic »

Notalent wrote:These blocks have been around for a while and are proven in the Industrial world. An aftermarket pan would def be needed, the pan that Generac looks similar to what a 10qt offshore Marine pan would, see the link.

http://advancedsalesgroup.com/industrial-engines/
In a talk Dick Maskins did about cylinder finish he once mentioned getting an industrial compacted graphite GM block with a hardness that was higher than they'd ever seen. Once they figured out to hone it to a proper Rvk and Rpk for the rings to seal right, it became their best motor... :-k Not sure if this pre or post the Big M blocks..

Might actually prove to be a great racing block. Shame about the stripped main. Is it the inner bolt hole or the splayed bolt hole?
Notalent

Post by Notalent »

The blocks we had as samples were in perfect shape. Using a portable hardness tester calibrated for cast iron we found these in the 168 to 176 Rockwell B if I recall...its been a while.
ATK HIGH PERFORMANCE ENGINES

WWW.HIGH-PERFORMANCE-ENGINES.COM

CUSTOM BUILT STREET/STRIP & RACING ENGINES!
machinedave
Guru
Guru

Post by machinedave »

Zmechanic wrote:
Notalent wrote:
Might actually prove to be a great racing block. Shame about the stripped main. Is it the inner bolt hole or the splayed bolt hole?
It is the outer splayed bolt. It looks like a regular BBC outer 4 bolt main cap bolt that was shortened in a lathe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IDT-572

Post by IDT-572 »

Here is the specs on the turbo 150 kw unit we have.

I have a call into Generac for a cost of a replacement block.

The number of cylinders being 6 is a miss print.

MG150 | 9.0L | 150 kW
INDUSTRIAL SPARK-IGNITED GENERATOR SET
EPA Certified Stationary Emergency
SPEC SHEET
4 of 6
General
Make Generac
Cylinder # 6
Type V
Displacement - L (Cu In) 8.9 (540)
Bore - mm (in) 114.23 (4.49)
Stroke - mm (in) 107.15 (4.25)
Compression Ratio 10.5:1
Intake Air Method Turbocharged/Aftercooled
Number of Main Bearings 5
Connecting Rods Forged
Cylinder Head Cast Iron
Cylinder Liners No
Ignition High Energy
Piston Type Aluminum Alloy
Crankshaft Type Forged Steel
Lifter Type Hydraulic Roller
Intake Valve Material Steel Alloy
Exhaust Valve Material Stainless Steel
Hardened Valve Seats Yes
Engine Governing
Governor Electronic
Frequency Regulation (Steady State) ±0.25%
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

I noticed in the spec. that the 150KW that the engine is also turbocharged and after cooled so obviously the larger KW unit needs more power than the 70-100KW gensets that are just N/As.
A 540 inch big block with a top rpm of 1800rpms and a turbo must be making some pretty good torque. Guess that is why they chose a forged crankshaft and billet steel 4 bolt main caps.
At 1800rpms continuous load it's interesting it stays together with 10.5 to 1 compression, iron heads and a turbo?
That slightly damaged main bolt does not look like a difficult repair. I am guessing the turned down bolt is bottoming out slightly and that popped of part of the bottom thread.
A good set of ARP studs and a thread re-tap should solve that problem.
My guess will be that a replacement block from Generac will be priced at about $3000 min and about $7-$8K for a short block, maybe more. The Gmperformance bare block is selling about $2200 I think so does not seem like a cost saving block to chase as a part.
If ATK has any information on what company is casting and machining this block, I as others here are really curious to know. :?: :?:
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Casper393W wrote:My point being...Large Corporations found out that they good get around paying a living wage to people by investing money into Washington and creating "Free trade agreements" when this took place it was both Republicans and Democrats who made the deal with the devil.... Once good paying jobs started to leave company's who were left here in the US started "Lean Manufacturing" to try and compete with their competition. You go to any major country outside the US.... You will find hardly any US made Autos because the trade deals are corrupt! In Korea we only sell 12 cars a year there! We as a people must demand more from our Government! Both sides of the aisle must get their head out of their reareands and FOR ONCE DO WHAT IS RIGHT for the people!

I'm proud of my UNION! Why because it is made up of Men and Women who think its not too much to have a Good Paying Job, Benefits, and self respect on the shop floor! Union workers aren't a bunch of goons, like the media try to portray us..... Just Average Joe's who still believe in the American Dream!

I will be the first person to tell you! If a company treats their employees like they should...you don't need a union.... But when you make say $25 per hr and wants to treat you like a dog take benefits away from you

12 cars a year? Where do you get your info? Russian intelligence? In 2014, GM alone sold more than 40,000 cars in Korea. After 2016,the tariffs will be removed, so even more cars will be sold.

Come on, dude. Quit with the fear-mongering bullshit and present some actual facts.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
BluePrint Engines

Post by BluePrint Engines »

Just wanted to jump on here and confirm that BluePrint blocks are cast and machined in the US.
We looked at foundries in China for our block castings and couldn’t find one that we felt comfortable with.

100% disclosure we do some of our aluminum cylinder heads in China.

I am not saying the Generac block is Good or Bad but unless they have changed foundries, I am 100% sure those blocks are cast in China.

If anyone has any additional questions on the BluePrint blocks let me know.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

If its true about the Generac block being cast in China that really disappoints me greatly. My reasoning is that Generac has for at least 7 years now had record sales and profits here in the US on its generator business. Where did almost all that business come from? Right here in the US where people just like myself purchased expensive whole house standby generators and many retail, commercial and industrial customers did the same to help protect and supply our homes and businesses thru so many weather disasters and emergency power outages. My personal opinion and feeling is that companies like Generac that derive almost all there core business right here in the US and don't have any competition from foreign overseas or Chinese competition should make a real strong effort to keep the jobs for their parts and labor right here where almost all their income comes from. There will be excuses coming out that "well Onan, Kohler and the others here in the US are doing it so we have to do it! My feeling, that's a bullshit excuse by all of them that are participating in this jobs flight decisions as a cover for the real reason, profit at any cost, me, me me short sided attitude of their managements.

The other thing that is bothering me is that if this block is indeed cast in China, did Generac send them a GM block or core with which they could make an EXACT knock-off copy, because I have studied the pictures of this block pretty carefully and the casting features, sizes and machining are almost indistinguishable from the GM block. Chinese knockoff copies of all of many of our investments and hard work are a CRIME! That raises another disturbing possibility, Is GMPerformance having all their iron performance blocks cast in China!! Most of these entities do not want us the users to know this because most of us will be PISSED if they are! I am not a protectionist crazy or zealot trying to bash on US companies that outsource there products overseas, we can't stop the global economic changes that will go on now and in the future, but they can invest and be more supportive of efforts to re-purpose the workers that lose these jobs here in the US. They and we owe it to our workforce to see that they get additional education and training in technology, methodology, engineering and innovation training and techniques so we can provide the economy and jobs our workers need to be globally competitive and viable in the future. I don't think there are enough of our fleeing US manufacturers that are doing this!

Hey Generac, What Say YOU??

Here goes my shit storm again, Sorry,but guys I am sorry, we've got to pay more careful attention to what's going on in our BACKYARDS, the WEEDS are out of control!! :x :x
IDT-572

Post by IDT-572 »

If you send out a spec bid on generators below 150 kw Generac will come in low every time.

I had one job that Eaton's generators won the bid, and after I got it and got ready to install it, the unit under the sheet metal was a Generac.

I don't know of any other American made generator under 150 kw that can compete with them.
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

GARY C wrote:
Newold1 wrote:pdq67
I hear what you're saying about new technologies and casting or (pressure casting) aluminum blocks and yes the US manufacturers like GM, Ford and Chrysler must stay up to date, efficient and provide state of the art product, that's a given.
My pain and the pain of those who loose their jobs is "Why can't GM make those investments, training and job opportunities here in the Good Old USA, remember this is the people and nation whose buying made them the automotive manufacturing giants they are today! These manufacturers all talk and brag about customer loyalty, what happened to employer loyalty?? :( Shot dead in the board room!
Unions and Taxes!
Labor cost alone is $40.00 more per hour than the foreign auto makers here and the foreign auto makers get tax break intensives to bring their companies here, for some reason the Gov can see the benefit to draw others here but can't see the benefit to keeping them here.

If you recall it was the big three facing bankruptcy during the down turn but it did not hurt the others.
The foreign automakers build cars here because the US is to them what Mexico and China are to us!

Average German line worker is $60-70/hour, Japan not far behind. Labor in the US is incredibly cheap compared to there, American workers work for peanuts and it is amazing the crap we put up with, why we are even expected to pay for our own healthcare instead of having it a government function like every (other) first world country on the planet. We say Chinese workers work for slave wages, Germans say Americans work for slave wages. And there is a strong propaganda machine in place in the US by the ruling elites (Fox News, et. al.) to make the oppressed believe that it is BETTER this way!
psychomotors
Pro
Pro

Post by psychomotors »

Please take to "union" talk to the appropriate area? I have worked both and will keep my opinions to myself. I want to learn "engine" related stuff in the engine section. Not trying to step on toes or be hateful, just sayin. :|
Everyone appreciates your honesty , until you're honest with them , then you're an @$$hole.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

I agree, let's just get back to discussing China bigblocks!

BlueprintEngines:

Thank you for enlightening us here on Speedtalk. You were very nice to let us know where your big blocks are cast and machined and you were honest in letting us know your cylinder head aluminum castings are cast in China. Are we to assume they are machined and assembled in your facility in Iowa?

Also if you know, could you confirm to us here on Speedtalk where the GMPerformance big blocks are cast? I think it would be helpful here if all of us on Speedtalk new that answer.

My reasons for asking the questions about China cast big blocks is that obviously the Chinese are getting better at their casting methods as demonstrated by the Generac block, but I know in iron castings, steel castings and forgings their have been some real issues with metals composition, purity and hardness issues on a lot of Chinese casting and forging imports. I have been told that China also imports and reuses a lot of recycled iron and steel in their smelting and there have been various grades of iron and steel that have been imported in products into the US where there were remelts with cross contamination and where testing has proved that the various grades and strengths claimed have not been correct or good.

These high performance engine and racing parts are expensive and buyers here need to know what they are really buying and whether it meets good industry standards. JMO
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

Newold1 wrote: My reasons for asking the questions about China cast big blocks is that obviously the Chinese are getting better at their casting methods as demonstrated by the Generac block, but I know in iron castings, steel castings and forgings their have been some real issues with metals composition, purity and hardness issues on a lot of Chinese casting and forging imports. I have been told that China also imports and reuses a lot of recycled iron and steel in their smelting
What's interesting about scrap content is that higher quality steels usually have a much higher scrap content vs lower grades... How does that make sense? You're starting with material that's already steel instead of a raw material.