n2xlr8n
Expert
Expert

Re: 2.3 Lima assembly...tips?

Post by n2xlr8n »

DJ58 wrote:n2xlr8n

I sent you a PM :D
I got it; thanks for the offer.
He who is in me is greater than he who is in the world.
n2xlr8n
Expert
Expert

Post by n2xlr8n »

I'll be a guinea pig :D

I'm going to fill this little screamer, already machined and purdy, with Embeco (now Masterflow) 885.

I do agree it best to do before machining, but I'm of the opinion that it's not like these engines are at operating temp when we fill them, so given the properties of the Embeco, Ima gon do it. :D

The worst that can happen is I'll have a wimpy turd of a 4 banger- then I'll spray it to death :lol:
ap72
Guru
Guru

Post by ap72 »

n2xlr8n wrote:I'll be a guinea pig :D

I'm going to fill this little screamer, already machined and purdy, with Embeco (now Masterflow) 885.

I do agree it best to do before machining, but I'm of the opinion that it's not like these engines are at operating temp when we fill them, so given the properties of the Embeco, Ima gon do it. :D

The worst that can happen is I'll have a wimpy turd of a 4 banger- then I'll spray it to death :lol:

Given how short the fill is I doubt you'll see much movement. Doesn't hurt to have the mains and head torqued while it cures though.
LOL, according to the post count I'm an "expert." The only thing I'm an expert at is asking questions.
n2xlr8n
Expert
Expert

Post by n2xlr8n »

Update:

My machinist threatened to never work for me again if I filled his precisely machined block, so I took his advice.

My propensity for turning 8.80 cars into 10 sec turds made me ditch the T-5 and go with a Dynamic "Mighty Mouse" C4 from craigslist (confirmed purchase with JR) and a PTC 8", 4800-on-the-brake converter.

My aforementioned header fabricator botched the header and downpipe, so the project has stalled until I finish fitting both. He didn't offer a refund, but did offer to fix it if I boxed it all back up and send it to him. Not gonna happen, Lesson learned.

For ignition, I went with LS D585 coils and a 36:1 wheel wired into my MS3x (aka PimpX).

I'm close, but a lot of wiring, welding and tuning left to do. Once I get it dialed in, I'll let you guys know how it makes a pass. :wink:
ap72
Guru
Guru

Post by ap72 »

n2xlr8n wrote:Update:

My machinist threatened to never work for me again if I filled his precisely machined block, so I took his advice.

My propensity for turning 8.80 cars into 10 sec turds made me ditch the T-5 and go with a Dynamic "Mighty Mouse" C4 from craigslist (confirmed purchase with JR) and a PTC 8", 4800-on-the-brake converter.

My aforementioned header fabricator botched the header and downpipe, so the project has stalled until I finish fitting both. He didn't offer a refund, but did offer to fix it if I boxed it all back up and send it to him. Not gonna happen, Lesson learned.

For ignition, I went with LS D585 coils and a 36:1 wheel wired into my MS3x (aka PimpX).

I'm close, but a lot of wiring, welding and tuning left to do. Once I get it dialed in, I'll let you guys know how it makes a pass. :wink:

What main bearings did you use? Full thrust bearing?
LOL, according to the post count I'm an "expert." The only thing I'm an expert at is asking questions.
n2xlr8n
Expert
Expert

Post by n2xlr8n »

ap72 wrote:What main bearings did you use? Full thrust bearing?
Yes sir. Good old Clevite.
ap72
Guru
Guru

Post by ap72 »

n2xlr8n wrote:

The set I just installed have half a thrust bearing. It's trimetal which I prefer but I'm uneasy about the half thrust bearing. We'll see what happens.
n2xlr8n
Expert
Expert

Post by n2xlr8n »

ap72 wrote:
n2xlr8n wrote:

The set I just installed have half a thrust bearing. It's trimetal which I prefer but I'm uneasy about the half thrust bearing. We'll see what happens.
I'll check to see if I saved the box when I get back home- half thrust would make me nervous, as well. Is a later small journal 2.3?
ap72
Guru
Guru

Post by ap72 »

Yes. Small journal. Both bearing options are available depending on the brand/model you choose. We'll see how it goes. I didn't even realize it until I already had the bearings at home.
yldouright

Post by yldouright »

This is a great read. What's the recommended ECU if my end goal is a streetable 440whp with 26-28psi on 93 pump gas and a G25-550 turbo? Which sensors will I have to add/change? Can you stress the stock 36lb injectors with a higher PSI pump to mimic a high impedance effect and 60gph of flow? I've heard the auxillary shaft is iffy over 6750rpm but the rest of the engine will spin to 7500 stock, 9000 with a balance. Is this reliable info? At what rev point will oil frothing become a problem in this block?
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Whatever happened with this? Thanks!
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING