Determining ignition timing for modern combustion chambers

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

mk e
Guru
Guru

Re: Determining ignition timing for modern combustion chambe

Post by mk e »

MadBill wrote:Can't go far wrong pulling out a little more spark than necessary (at least at first) rather than a little less...
I think that is the right answer to get started.

On the few I've done with engine originally spec for 87 octane and going up to 91 octane I ended up pulling out nothing until 5 psi, then like 1 degree at 6 psi, 2 at 7, 3.5 at 8, 5 at 9 and 7 at 10psi.....something like that. The air gets a LOT hotter as boost goes up, with an eaton roots I was seeing IAT of 260+ at 10 psi but bacisally no change under 3 psi. This was on an engine that liked about 32 degees naturally aspirated....if yours likes more timing it will probably want more timing pulled out.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

I ran across a new tuning toy.
It connects to the OBDII port and send MAP, MAF, ignition timing and torque readings to my cell phone.

Its hard to use since I almost crash the vehicle watching the display.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

David Redszus wrote:I ran across a new tuning toy.
It connects to the OBDII port and send MAP, MAF, ignition timing and torque readings to my cell phone.

Yeah these things are dangerous addictions.
Amilcar
Pro
Pro

Post by Amilcar »

You better find some knowledgeable guy, who introduce you to the datalogging tech world.
I know one ....... :lol: :lol: :wink:
Xnke
Pro
Pro

Post by Xnke »

I use a laptop with a USB-to-ALDL cable, and datalogging software called TunerPro RT. It also allows me to modify the contents of the computer-but it only works for OBDI GM/Ford cars for the full feature for sure. There are many other makes supported but I don't know how limited they are-basically if someone has written the ADX file (datastream interpreter) file, it's supported.

OBD2 logging works with it, but I don't know how well supported the OBD2 computers are for re-programming. All the edits can be done but reflashing the ECM's may need a 3rd party program. I know the ECM that I'm using for this truck project requires a 3rd party program, and the LT1 cars also need it. (Although EEhack is will do the LT1 cars all-in-one now!)
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

You're about 15 years late.