2 heads better than 1 - power porting E7TE iron.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

David Vizard
Guru
Guru
Re: 2 heads better than 1 - power porting E7TE iron.

Post by David Vizard »

mag2555 wrote:It was a set of C6FE ( i dug my flow records out ) with a 1.94 " that I got 244 cfm @ .700" out of,but it not have gone a tad more had I had a sonic tester back then.
Mr. Mag2555 sir,
Help me out here if you would please. I just looked through my list of Ford head casting #'s and it does not have the C6FE on it. Do you have a shot of this head especially from the chamber side???
Thanks
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Here's a shot David.
IMG_0042.JPG
As long ago as i did these I recall some folks saying there where C5OZ in a early version , and C7ZZ in later castings for what it's worth!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

mag2555 wrote:Here's a shot David.
IMG_0042.JPG
As long ago as i did these I recall some folks saying there where C5OZ in a early version , and C7ZZ in later castings for what it's worth!
Thanks but what chamber form did it have?

DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Screenshot_2016-12-13-14-20-20.png
Found this on ford muscle forum. I have no idea if it is truthfull or not. No luck finding chamber pictures. Thanks, Charlie
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
EthylCat
Pro
Pro

Post by EthylCat »

I might have to call my father on this C6FE thing. He bought a 289 "Industrial" engine (Air cleaner to pan- Fan to Trans tail shaft- $200 American) from TVR Griffith back in the day for his 63 Austin Healy 3000. I wonder if those heads are on it.

Interesting stuff.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

David,
I don't know if you put this head in your book but, my favorite cast iron regular production casting is a E6SE head used in 1986 only. I use them for all the "O.E.M. production cast Iron head, flat top piston", short track entry level, 2 barrel carb engines.

The chamber is heart shaped with a mask around about 1/3 of the intake valve edge; which can easily be machined away. The valves and combustion chamber are about .100" deeper to keep their volume at around 64cc's like the E7's, The valves themselves are .100" shorter which make them almost the same length as a small block Chevrolet and the best part is they can easily be milled .090" and not intrude upon the intake valve seat which makes for about a 50cc combustion chamber after milling.

I have not ported any, other than larger valves, (1.94" x 1.500"), to meet whatever rules written by the mostly Chevrolet group because, porting is illegal in those classes but, they work quite well for their intent.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

Walter R. Malik wrote:David,
I don't know if you put this head in your book but, my favorite cast iron regular production casting is a E6SE head used in 1986 only. I use them for all the "O.E.M. production cast Iron head, flat top piston", short track entry level, 2 barrel carb engines.

The chamber is heart shaped with a mask around about 1/3 of the intake valve edge; which can easily be machined away. The valves and combustion chamber are about .100" deeper to keep their volume at around 64cc's like the E7's, The valves themselves are .100" shorter which make them almost the same length as a small block Chevrolet and the best part is they can easily be milled .090" and not intrude upon the intake valve seat which makes for about a 50cc combustion chamber after milling.

I have not ported any, other than larger valves, (1.94" x 1.500"), to meet whatever rules written by the mostly Chevrolet group because, porting is illegal in those classes but, they work quite well for their intent.
I have not seen E6SE heads Walter, are the port dimentions the same or similar to E7TE ?
Craig.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

cjperformance wrote:
Walter R. Malik wrote:David,

I have not seen E6SE heads Walter, are the port dimentions the same or similar to E7TE ?
Exactly the same size openings at the flanges.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

1213161942_HDR.jpg
After Pitot testing I wondered how thick these are. I have a deep hatred of my ultrasonic thickness gauge, it may just be batteries but the calibration would not stay. I would not bet on these numbers but I am sure these are pretty thin in spots. Unable to sonic the ssr at all due to the probe size. I really need to find a small curved probe on long probe with a better quality gauge. Thanks , Charlie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
631-816-4911
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

1213161945_HDR.jpg
Bowl shot of flowed intake.
631-816-4911
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Calypso wrote:
Sorry for the off topic question... Which series/class are they running? Have 3 buddies running 2 historic mustangs and one Falcon locally. One of the guys even has a European championship from couple of years back and later sold his winning Falcon to the states. Sounds like they might be underpowered in the 289 cars (one of them is boss302), if they go for Euro tour...
Euro series race 289 - Series is NKHTGT Appendix K racing.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Calypso wrote:
Sorry for the off topic question... Which series/class are they running? Have 3 buddies running 2 historic mustangs and one Falcon locally. One of the guys even has a European championship from couple of years back and later sold his winning Falcon to the states. Sounds like they might be underpowered in the 289 cars (one of them is boss302), if they go for Euro tour...
Euro series race 289 - Series is NKHTGT Appendix K racing.
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

mag2555 wrote:Here's a shot David.
IMG_0042.JPG
I've seen a set of those at the swap meet before. The top does look just like an HP 289 head with the cast in spring seats. The ones I saw were ported by Valley Head Service and they had the crescent shaped passages under the intake ports welded shut. The ports looked different with those very large exhaust ports like in your picture.
jpankey
Pro
Pro

Post by jpankey »

in my mind this age old question was answered years ago with a different brand chevy double hump heads do they run better on a street built 327ci or a street built 406ci ? Answer always is 406 ci
one mans magic is another mans engineering--robert heinlein I think I need some magic ,the engineering is not getting through real world testing. quote Jpankey
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Yes, if you need the power band to start 24% lower rpm wise and top out 24% sonner than the 327!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!