Pertronic ignition

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Tuner
Guru
Guru
Re: Pertronic ignition

Post by Tuner »

Interspersed among the useful things in this thread there is no shortage of useless trash talk by people who don't have the least idea what they are talking about.
Racerrick
Expert
Expert

Post by Racerrick »

Pertronic have their place but to trying and turn them passed 6500? Crane hi6 or msd etc... much better.
jcisworthy
HotPass
HotPass

Post by jcisworthy »

jcisworthy wrote:On another Pertronix note. My friend works at a machine shop and is into 351C Ford engines. An engine he built using a Pertronix I unit pulled fine every time but for some reason, I do not recall why, he hooked up a regular Napa factory replacement coil instead of the MSD dyno coil and the engine picked up 10-15 hp according to him. I do not remember the exact number. I do not know why nor did he?
I asked my friend to refresh me on this. He said they were running an MDS blaster coil off the dyno cell and for the heck of it he tried the stock Napa coil he was going to use in the car and it picked up 15hp. He made two more pulls and it repeated the number.

Everyone there was amazed by it and he said if he didn't see it with his own eyes would have a hard time believing it.
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

There are a lot of strange things happening with modules these days especially with different coils, chev HEI type modules especially.

Recently I was on the chassis dyno with a ford chinese HEI looking distributor, it started acting like ignition break down so I sent them down the street to napa to get an ac-delco module. Napa didn't have anything but the STANDARD brand, thought that would be OK. Power came back up to before and we thought all was well. It failed completely about 15 minutes later. I installed a 20 yr old GM module and coil and all was fine the rest of the test session and AFAIK it is still fine. I have heard ALOT of problems going on with replacement coils and modules in the last few years and not single brands, but all dime store replacements. :(

I still have to rig up my test station but am going to load test a few coil and module combinations to see if I can get to the bottom of this issue as I have one aftermarket distributor manufacturer that needs help and has ~40% failure rate when they are driving a coil. Obviously unacceptable.
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
ZEOHSIX
Pro
Pro

Post by ZEOHSIX »

In-Tech wrote:There are a lot of strange things happening with modules these days especially with different coils, chev HEI type modules especially.

Recently I was on the chassis dyno with a ford chinese HEI looking distributor, it started acting like ignition break down so I sent them down the street to napa to get an ac-delco module. Napa didn't have anything but the STANDARD brand, thought that would be OK. Power came back up to before and we thought all was well. It failed completely about 15 minutes later. I installed a 20 yr old GM module and coil and all was fine the rest of the test session and AFAIK it is still fine. I have heard ALOT of problems going on with replacement coils and modules in the last few years and not single brands, but all dime store replacements. :(

I still have to rig up my test station but am going to load test a few coil and module combinations to see if I can get to the bottom of this issue as I have one aftermarket distributor manufacturer that needs help and has ~40% failure rate when they are driving a coil. Obviously unacceptable.
Standard Bluestreek ignition products at a NAPA store? I worked for NAPA many many years ago but, know for a fact the Echlin Corporation (ACCEL) is the only premium ignition/electrical product line they stock (they have a cheaper line of electrical but, I still think Echlin is involved in the manufacture) Standard makes decent products but Echlin was always the BEST where you might find aluminum contacts in a Standadrd distributor cap....Echlins were ALWAYS brass which is a far better conductor and has a far longer service life than aluminum contacts. One exception....you might find a Echlin distributor cap with aluminum contacts if it were some obscure foreign car with a strange ignition system,....Echlin would rebox OEM quality parts and resell them rather than spend the $$$ to tool up for producing something that wouldn't sell very many units.

I just use a Pertronix Ignitor2/3 and their 0.32 Ohm ignition coil they recommend for those particular modules....you can't run the low impedance coil on the older Pertronix module, it won't carry the current load nor can you run the older modules at a full 12VDC battery voltage. Many people get confused by the different module grades Pertronix sells and mix the wrong parts or feed them full voltages when they shouldn't.