LSx heads vs Gen I SBC heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

pdq67
Guru
Guru
LSx heads vs Gen I SBC heads

Post by pdq67 »

What aftermarket Gen I SBC head will equal the power production of a L-92 LSx head?

We all know that the LSx engine's power production is in it's modern designed head is why I ask.

And are there any 18 or 15 degree Gen I heads that don't need shaft rocker setups?

pdq67

PS., off my topic here, but what is the most powerful head for a 302"/5.0 Ford small block?

I guess I am wondering why Ford never made a larger intake port Chevy, "double-hump", type head for the little engine?
Racerrick
Expert
Expert
Re: LSx heads vs Gen I SBC heads

Post by Racerrick »

Ford made a monster port head for the 302 head with a 2.25 intake valve AKA Boss 302 Those heads when max ported they flow 400cfm, next the 351n/352n will out power any GM gen1 sbc factory iron head so much so most tracks have banned them, next the gt40 or gt40p which are stock on mustangs and explorer/mountainers they flow similar to a double hump.
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

The most power i have seen out of gm factory L92/Ls3 square ports have been in the 500-550 wheel hp area on 400-427" motors. Thats damn good imo on factory castings and hyd roller street cams under 240 deg duration at .050". Under 7000 rpm too

A good 23 deg head can make those numbers on similar cubes however. Flow bench might not match but numbers dont mean much, the power numbers do. A good port profile 227-245 ish cc 23 deg sbc head would get you there but most likely need higher compression and rpm to get there. Not really sure. Not many people seem to build big cube sbc stuff with hyd rollers and big heads with efi intakes

Most 15-18 deg stuff seems to be tailored to high comp big cube stuff or very high rpm lower cube stuff with huge port sizes and valves and tiny cc chambers.
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

pdq67 wrote:What aftermarket Gen I SBC head will equal the power production of a L-92 LSx head?
Including aftermarket it comes down to how fast do you want to spend.

Multiple state-of-the-art heads for gen 1 SBC's. As good as anything you can get for any engine. Pricey stuff. But, many versions can take you north of 400 CFM. Some 450-460. You can get heads to do what ever you want.