R2C Airflow Director

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

slick5x61
R2C Airflow Director

Post by slick5x61 »

Does anyone know of a performance difference between the R2C 1 inch, compared to the 2 inch open model ? I e-mailed them directly and was told the height difference was made for clearance issues. Won`t say whether one is better or worse than the other. Going on a drag car,388 sbc,na. Sealed hood scoop with 5 inch k and n filter. 5000 -7600 rpm. thanks.
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Re: R2C Airflow Director

Post by bigjoe1 »

What is it ?

JOE SHERMAN RACING
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

bigjoe1 wrote:What is it ?

JOE SHERMAN RACING

It's an air cleaner base.

I want one, but it doesn't match the top of my B4X carb.
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by bigjoe1 »

Here is a true story from the good old days-- I was working at Edelbrock back in around 1970-- Moroso comes out with an air cleaner and the claim a horsepower increase, SO, we try it out on the dyno, and low and behold-- IT DOES MADE MORE HORSEPOWER-- It would beat anything we tried it with by 5 to 8 HP. It turns out it was the shape of the base that sits on the carburetor. It even beat a 200 dollar spun alu NASCAR air learner base. NO LIE !

JOE SHERMAN RACING
slick5x61

Post by slick5x61 »

The R2C air Director is very similar to a K & N snub stack, except it is made for a new style Holley 4150. It comes in 2 version 1 and 2 inch models. The K & N is made for the old style Holley , square primary because of the choke plate.
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

bigjoe1 wrote:Here is a true story from the good old days-- I was working at Edelbrock back in around 1970-- Moroso comes out with an air cleaner and the claim a horsepower increase, SO, we try it out on the dyno, and low and behold-- IT DOES MADE MORE HORSEPOWER-- It would beat anything we tried it with by 5 to 8 HP. It turns out it was the shape of the base that sits on the carburetor. It even beat a 200 dollar spun alu NASCAR air learner base. NO LIE !

JOE SHERMAN RACING

Did you happen to go to the R2C web site and look at their base? Like I said, it doesn't exactly fit my main body.
induction apprentice
Expert
Expert

Post by induction apprentice »

I had virtually the same result as joe. What I found was some air cleaner bases are stamped with a sharp corner. Others have a nice fat radius transitioning into the top of the carb. Those K&N stub stacks that fit the older holleys were even more effective.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Many of the spun drop bases block airflow from the bottom inch or more of the filter. Many of the stamped ones are messed up, as induction says. A couple are close copies of the Chev L-88/Z-28 design and work really well.
Your eyes should tell you which of these is which: https://www.google.ca/search?q=l+88+air ... 45&bih=885
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

To add to what Madbill said, R2C has a wider race filter for that purpose http://www.r2cperformance.com/r2c-clear ... r-lid.aspx

Street/Drag filter on R2C base http://www.r2cperformance.com/14-inch-h ... lters.aspx
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!