NOS slicks

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

cgarb
Guru
Guru

NOS slicks

Post by cgarb »

I ran across a set of slicks for sale that are brand new never been mounted but are 8 years old. They have been stored indoors and don't appear to be anything wrong with them. I can get them for less than half of a new set. Worth a try or not a good idea?
lefty o
Guru
Guru
Re: NOS slicks

Post by lefty o »

not worth it.
roc
Expert
Expert

Post by roc »

I wouldn't discard the deal right away... it all depends on your budget and your goals as a racer. If you run a winning operation and have deep pockets, let it go for sure.

While I'm an unexperienced racer, I have a small personal experience with old slicks, they were about 10 year old, but looked new (mounted, came with the car that I bought as a roller). As I was setting the car up for a shakedown pass, way more experienced racers were telling me: "these old slicks won't bite!" The pit was gravel, so it's common to see sticky slicks with small gravel stock on them, but my slicks stayed pretty clear as I moved in the pit area. I was running out of time, and based on all that, I decided to leave the wheelie bar in the trailer...

... and this is what happened: https://youtu.be/eySjAE0jjRo
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

they may hoook, or may not, more important they are nearing the end of their safe useful life.
Old as Dirt
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Old as Dirt »

throw a little prep on them.. they'll hook up... mixture of trans fluid and acetone will do wonders..
rally
Expert
Expert

Post by rally »

Toss them, buy new and know exactly what you have. Safety first.
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

I was told by a Goodyear rep, after 6 months from production drag slicks start breaking down. I buy a new set in the spring and sell the old ones about the same time. Seems to be lots of guys wanting 1/2 priced meat.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
Caprimaniac
Guru
Guru

Post by Caprimaniac »

In the good old days.... Rubber tyres were stored in a damp, dark basement for some time. And when waking them up from the sleep and mounted on the Bicycle rims, they worked better than fresh rubber tyres. That is the saying.....
How to turn GURU in an instant.....
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Unless they where bagged and sealed up indoors I would not waste my time in finding out if they where good or not!
Maybe you have money and time to burn?
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Kbails

Post by Kbails »

i would thoroughly inspect them befor anything if they have a shiny look to them most likely all the oils in the rubber have dissipated. when this happens the tire losses its elasticity and becomes very hard/almost brittle. in the tire business anything over 5 years on the shelf we cut the beads and scrap them regardless of condition. if your looking for a set of tires to cruise around town and make the car look basass run them. but if your chasing et's/bracket racing or just hitting the track for fun i would save up and buy new ones you will be happy
Long Island, NY
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

I put a very low offer on them to not take too big of a chance on them and the offer was rejected. So I will let them either get held onto until they become antique and the value on 25 year old brand new slicks come up or someone else wants to take a chance.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

great for nostalgia full pass smokey runs or burn down contests
Touring we'd line up against our competition after showing the 98% bottle when topping off
light em up and smoke out the crowd on tire and nitro, tower would announce some outrageous speed and et and everyone cheered us down the return run
sometimes 2 out of 3
then off to dinner with out hated rivals
Sajomatic

Post by Sajomatic »

Kbails wrote:i would thoroughly inspect them befor anything if they have a shiny look to them most likely all the oils in the rubber have dissipated. when this happens the tire losses its elasticity and becomes very hard/almost brittle. in the tire business anything over 5 years on the shelf we cut the beads and scrap them regardless of condition. if your looking for a set of tires to cruise around town and make the car look basass run them. but if your chasing et's/bracket racing or just hitting the track for fun i would save up and buy new ones you will be happy
Here in Kansas the law states 4 years.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Caprimaniac wrote:In the good old days.... Rubber tyres were stored in a damp, dark basement for some time. And when waking them up from the sleep and mounted on the Bicycle rims, they worked better than fresh rubber tyres. That is the saying.....
I am guessing this was the case before accelerants were used to hasten cross-linking of the rubber.
DTechnicalNote-Vulcanization-Dec10.pdf
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg