Budget pulling truck engine named (Tommy Boy)

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

randy331
Guru
Guru

Re: Budget pulling truck engine named (Tommy Boy)

Post by randy331 »

Not a lot more can be done with weights. Rules say no weight in front of bumper and there is already 700LBs of valve cover shaped lead chunks hangin on the radiator support and the bumper is poured full of concrete. It sits at 6200LBs and will need 300LBs more for next year. So gathering up more weight to try and fit in under radiator support. And no gutting, so can't just cut more out to move it up front.

He's gonna be out gunned cause they made rules that moved him up in class weight wise and engine wise.
After he bought this engine, there became a new rule of no aftermarket iron heads. Only in next class up.
So now it's finish Tommy Boy up for next class up, or start on a set of factory vortecs, or 882s etc, so Tommy Boy it is.
No cube limit, single 4500 carb and cast intake. Already 500+ cube stuff in the class, so a 355 is,... a little small. :lol:
But,...it pays $200 to win, so you do it for fun.

Randy
hereinmissoula

Post by hereinmissoula »

One of my hydraulic customers , oil field service company . 650 ci sonny's 5" bore space , 1600hp 1250 ftlb. 9200 rpm. 5" bore space, arias hemi head, fully rollerized drive train , 6200lb class champion. Clutch. Ntpa.

I've never worked on anything like this . Way above my engine building experience.

Class stuff for ntpa is out of reach of average incomes these days.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

Memorial for Nick tomorrow at the NHRA museum Pomona CA Fairgrounds- 10 AM
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

Well, decided to test the small cam (248*-258*-109*) and the bigger cam that came with the parts, instead of the 273-273 one I found in the shop.
I'm with CGT, I don't think the 2 larger cams would be much different. I think a much bigger duration change will be more informative.

I went ahead and touched the seats with a stone. They are 45* intake and ex. Only touched the 45 so not sure what the other angles are.

:D If the dyno shop owner is up for it, we're gonna test both cams, and then pull the heads and change the valve job to a steeper one. 50* intake 55* ex maybe.
I'll look at the angles some. Then test both cams with the new valve job.
Got 1.5 and 1.6 rockers to go along with the tests, but not sure we'll have time to test both rockers with both valve jobs.

Got the short block all together, heads are together, cam in with adjustable cam gear and 2 piece cover for easy cam position testing and switching. The cam can go all the way from 99* ICL to 123* ICL, but probably won't have clearance for those extremes. We'll see what can be done when the heads are on. Got over .020" positive deck height so had to order head gaskets. Don't have any .060" thick sittin here.

Hope to dyno in 2-3 weeks depending on dyno shop schedule.

Chad, how many steaks should I bring??? :D

Randy
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Small Camz vs Big Camz...sounds like science to me.
If the dyno shop owner is up for it, we're gonna test both cams, and then pull the heads and change the valve job to a steeper one. 50* intake 55* ex maybe.
I'll look at the angles some. Then test both cams with the new valve job.
Got 1.5 and 1.6 rockers to go along with the tests, but not sure we'll have time to test both rockers with both valve jobs.
What do you learn if both cams are wrong to begin with?
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

I would try and argue that the Bowtie heads are made by GM...if not look for a good set of 292 castings which are pretty damn close to a Bowtie head anyway. Keep him out of the killer class anyway.
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

GARY C wrote:What do you learn if both cams are wrong to begin with?
Define wrong.
And what testing procedure would determine a cam is "wrong".

Randy
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

randy331 wrote:
GARY C wrote:What do you learn if both cams are wrong to begin with?
Define wrong.
And what testing procedure would determine a cam is "wrong".

Randy
I think that is a question you should answer, you tend to be front and center on why everyone is wrong on how they select cams.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

randy331 wrote:Chad, how many steaks should I bring???
Well, depends on if my teen, garbage disposal son is around. :lol:

For the price of steaks, we maybe could spec a custom cam to test, and just have pretzels and beer.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

Nothing wrong with the classic "wheelbarrow of cams" approach
by fooling with them on the dyno you can figure out what you really want when you get a custom cam ground
works best when you already have so,e cams that are in the ballpark to test
if you have to buy some- well that's never been in MY budget but as been in some of my customers
I did have a customer who asked 4-5 camgrinders tech lines for recommendations-we bought and dynoed the cams
THEY WERE ALL WRONG some did "touchup" to get closer, with some you were SOL, one sent a new cam

The other way is to as they say in Millionaire- ask a friend who has built lots of the same kind of motor
Big Joe
or many others here on this thread
Or get one of the fine sim programs like the one Rick Jones has
or get Mike Jones to run his version and add his 30+ years of experience
I would think cgt would have a handle on this and not waste valuable dyno time
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

GARY C wrote: you tend to be front and center on why everyone is wrong on how they select cams.
No not everyone, just those I disagree with.

Isn't that what ST is for?
Constructive disagreement?

Randy
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

wyrmrider wrote: I would think cgt would have a handle on this and not waste valuable dyno time
If we're not gonna test a couple cams and a valve job,....what should we "waste" valuable dyno time doing?

Randy
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

randy331 wrote:
GARY C wrote: you tend to be front and center on why everyone is wrong on how they select cams.
No not everyone, just those I disagree with.

Isn't that what ST is for?
Constructive disagreement?

Randy
Constructive disagreement yes!
But those you disagree with you make smart ass posts on their threads when you have more than enough knowledge to show a factual disagreement but you don't!
And then you do this thread where you are going to "Test" valve angles with a hand full of "what ever" cams when you have the knowledge and ability to do a legit test?

So it just seems counter "constructive" when you dog someone for presenting a tested method for better selecting a cam wile you find it "constructive" to run a random cam test!

Maybe I just disagree?
Please Note!
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

Ok Gary,... it won't be a "legit" test since it's a cam that came with the engine, and cams we already had around.
You may want to keep the Budget part in mind.
Buying more cams when we have these here, wouldn't be a good place to spend limited funds.

Randy
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

I get some of the points being made here but I do have to admit to being overly amused by smart-ass remarks. Hell, I've even been called "Mr Smart Ass" on more than one occasion. And it seems the bigger the smart-ass you are by nature?.. the more you can appreciate others continued efforts towards the same. :lol:

Randy,.. will you be posting some pictures of these heads if/when you decide to work on them?