Budget pulling truck engine named (Tommy Boy)

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

randy331
Guru
Guru

Re: Budget pulling truck engine named (Tommy Boy)

Post by randy331 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:22 pm

Carnut1 wrote:Randy, Because you stated they were ported by someone else I figured at some point you would want to work your magic on them.
As much as I'd like think there's a bunch of power left in these 034 Bowties the reality is there most likely isn't.
They come less than 180cc and are 204-205 ish now, so how much more can be done without compromising the strength to the point they fail ?
They are also making very good power out of the cfm they flow, a sign they weren't ported using CFM only.
They also have a 2.055" intake valve. That's as big as I'd put in that casting.

So,.. they will be left alone the rest of this season, and some decisions will be made at end of season.

He want's to run with the IAMO circuit next year in pro street, but we need more power than your gonna get out of a 355 to run up front in that class.

I'm suggesting to him he go super street. His truck in it's current state runs with that class. But,... he'd have to get rid of the 4 link, go to solid flat tappet cam, a dual plane, and either go automatic or lower comp to run the spec 93 octane fuel to stay clutch. But he could add cubes.

He could also just go to a 3.75 stroke with what he has and just go pull and save the difference to pay for broken drive train stuff.

I have new SHP block and several engines sittin around and various parts. Guess I could build a 412 cube or something and go in on helping.
Then we can split all the winnings ! After all it paid $ 79 to win up at the Diagonal, IA. pull ! :D

Randy

Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:15 pm

Screenshot_2017-09-05-19-33-34.png
Lots more avalable if you work for it with bowties. Chart off Stan's website. Thanks, Charlie
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST

Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:54 pm

out_Intake_Bright.jpg[/attachment]
Bowtie_034_maxed-out_Intake_Bright.jpg

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19278

Two pics of Larry's awesome work on bowties.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST

randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:34 pm

Carnut1 wrote:Lots more avalable if you work for it with bowties. Chart off Stan's website. Thanks, Charlie
Didn't say there wasn't cfm left in them, but just because they flow more don't mean they will make more power.

And, this is a pulling truck engine. They are kinda endurance engines. They also need a very wide power curve if you have it set up with enough traction to pull the engine back at the end of the pull.

And my time would likely be better spent on a newer set of heads. Probably come out power ahead in the long run.

If he ends up just throwin a 3.75 crank in it I'll go over the heads over the winter.

Right now this head is legal in Pro street http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Catal ... PDF/16.pdf

That head on a 412 cube could make enough power to make a small block competitive in Pro street.

Kinda depends on what one is willing to spend to run up front, vs less money to run mid pack or even less to just hook to the sled.

Randy

vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:55 pm

randy331 wrote:
Carnut1 wrote:Lots more avalable if you work for it with bowties. Chart off Stan's website. Thanks, Charlie
Didn't say there wasn't cfm left in them, but just because they flow more don't mean they will make more power.

And, this is a pulling truck engine. They are kinda endurance engines. They also need a very wide power curve if you have it set up with enough traction to pull the engine back at the end of the pull.

And my time would likely be better spent on a newer set of heads. Probably come out power ahead in the long run.

If he ends up just throwin a 3.75 crank in it I'll go over the heads over the winter.

Right now this head is legal in Pro street http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Catal ... PDF/16.pdf

That head on a 412 cube could make enough power to make a small block competitive in Pro street.

Kinda depends on what one is willing to spend to run up front, vs less money to run mid pack or even less to just hook to the sled.

Randy
Runs hard, you should be dam proud of your kid!
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.

randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:29 pm

vortecpro wrote: Runs hard, you should be dam proud of your kid!
Thanks, and I am. He's done most of the work himself, just askin questions about things, and there's been LOTS of talk around here about pullin trucks and the reasons/theory behind things. Me or him had no experience with truck pullin till last year.

Randy

Travis Horton

Post by Travis Horton » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:32 pm

Thanks for keeping us updated on this adventure! Looks like you two are having too much fun to come do a little drag racing with us. I guess you could bring Tommy Boy to a bracket race! :D

randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:36 pm

Told my son if he'd go to IAMO super street for next year, I'd provide an engine.
So, he agreed when he figured out I wasn't gonna supply a pro street engine. LOL
Rules meeting still to come, they are talking throwin a bone to small blocks next year.
I'd like to run a small block since I have more of that stuff sittin in the shop.
Right now they are talkin allowing roller cams for small blocks, solid flat tappets for big blocks.
Currently solid flat tappet for both

Randy

randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:39 pm

Travis Horton wrote:Thanks for keeping us updated on this adventure! Looks like you two are having too much fun to come do a little drag racing with us. I guess you could bring Tommy Boy to a bracket race! :D
Been busy, but I'd like to come down there and race this fall.

Got a couple engines I could put in the Nova, but time seems the limit.

How'd you do in points this year ?

Randy

Travis Horton

Post by Travis Horton » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:53 pm

Still leading points with two races to go, knock on wood! Good luck pulling and I'll keep my eyes peeled for the Nova at the track.

randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:18 pm

MaxFlow
Expert
Expert

Post by MaxFlow » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:47 am

That thing sounds good. Pulls hard. Looks like the rear is trying to steer a little on the truck. Pretty good fun I suspect until you get the rear bumper fixed on the Nova. :D
Joe Stalnaker
WV

randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:44 am

MaxFlow wrote: Looks like the rear is trying to steer a little on the truck.
I'm interested in what you see in the video that makes you say that ?

We don't have much pulling truck experience.

Randy

randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:16 pm

New pullin truck engine in the works to replace Tommy Boy.

Guess we're going IAMO pro street next year after all.

Got Dart SHP pro block 4.155 bore, Callies magnum crank 3.875" stroke, Callies ultra I beam 6" rods, custom JE pistons on the way,
Be vacuum, Jesel 1.7/1.6 shart rockers, titanium valve, custom Comp cam. Lookin at Rev lobes for the intake ???

Will test on Q16

Randy

GARY C
Guru
Guru

Post by GARY C » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:39 pm

randy331 wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:16 pm
New pullin truck engine in the works to replace Tommy Boy.

Guess we're going IAMO pro street next year after all.

Got Dart SHP pro block 4.155 bore, Callies magnum crank 3.875" stroke, Callies ultra I beam 6" rods, custom JE pistons on the way,
Be vacuum, Jesel 1.7/1.6 shart rockers, titanium valve, custom Comp cam. Lookin at Rev lobes for the intake ???

Will test on Q16

Randy
What compression? have you looked at VP113, it's oxygenated as well and should be good in the 14.1/15.1 range.