Ported Ford 289 heads with port energy discussion

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Post Reply
Carnut1
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3232
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:32 pm
Location: Melbourne fl.

Re: Ported Ford 289 heads with port energy discussion

Post by Carnut1 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:08 pm

0209172050_HDR.jpg
Flow per sq/in graph
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST

Carnut1
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3232
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:32 pm
Location: Melbourne fl.

Re: Ported Ford 289 heads with port energy discussion

Post by Carnut1 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:13 pm

0209172050a_HDR.jpg
Port velocit and port energy graphs. Interesting relationship between these curves. Input welcome. Thanks, Charlie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST

statsystems
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1112
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:17 am

Re: Ported Ford 289 heads with port energy discussion

Post by statsystems » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:55 pm

Are you manually writing down the swirl numbers or are they on the screen shots? I'm not seeing the swirl numbers.

Carnut1
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3232
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:32 pm
Location: Melbourne fl.

Re: Ported Ford 289 heads with port energy discussion

Post by Carnut1 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:13 pm

I mentioned it to David that I felt incorporating swirl into the program would be helpful since there does seem to be some increase in flow when the swirl is lower. I am still on the fence as to which makes more power. In up coming posts I can include swirl and how much swirl and flow can change with a simple back cut. Thanks, Charlie
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST

GARY C
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3403
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 10:58 pm

Re: Ported Ford 289 heads with port energy discussion

Post by GARY C » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:44 pm

From what I have seen over the years is that most see swirl as a benefit for average tq because it helps in low to mid RPM ranges but most that build race engines based on the LS7 head eliminate the swirl inducing vain in favor of horse power... Once again without testing both in an apples to apples power and track test it is just a theory!

groberts101
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1301
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:08 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Ported Ford 289 heads with port energy discussion

Post by groberts101 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:27 pm

GARY C wrote:From what I have seen over the years is that most see swirl as a benefit for average tq because it helps in low to mid RPM ranges but most that build race engines based on the LS7 head eliminate the swirl inducing vain in favor of horse power... Once again without testing both in an apples to apples power and track test it is just a theory!
Pretty well tested and proven theory there, Gary. OEM and otherwise.

Doesn't always have to be race engines either. Any snottier big cammed short geared hot-street engine combo I have ever seen seems to have more than enough piston speed/chamber induced "swirl" to begin with. Cutting away some swirl energy in trade for absolute flow potential doesn't usually make them any slower either.

statsystems
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1112
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:17 am

Re: Ported Ford 289 heads with port energy discussion

Post by statsystems » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:10 pm

Carnut1 wrote:I mentioned it to David that I felt incorporating swirl into the program would be helpful since there does seem to be some increase in flow when the swirl is lower. I am still on the fence as to which makes more power. In up coming posts I can include swirl and how much swirl and flow can change with a simple back cut. Thanks, Charlie

Ok, because you were mentioning swirl numbers and I didn't see them. I'm old enough where I'm to the point I question my ability to see things from a screen shot. That's why I asked. I'm not blind yet!

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Posts: 6317
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: Ported Ford 289 heads with port energy discussion

Post by pdq67 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:58 pm

carnut1,

Did you ever play with the old -601 SBC heads??

The little 53 to 55 cc chamber jobbers that had the 1.84"/1.50" valves in them. They were the 305HO, heads if not mistaken?

I bought a pair of EQ 200 intake port cast iron heads with 50 cc chambers and 2.02"/1.60" valves for my next 400 block based, 3" stroked 325" high rpm jobber.

Just got my valves, guide plates, and rocker studs from Summit from the Brown truck....

pdq67

Carnut1
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3232
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:32 pm
Location: Melbourne fl.

Re: Ported Ford 289 heads with port energy discussion

Post by Carnut1 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:15 pm

pdq67 wrote:carnut1,

Did you ever play with the old -601 SBC heads??

The little 53 to 55 cc chamber jobbers that had the 1.84"/1.50" valves in them. They were the 305HO, heads if not mistaken?

I bought a pair of EQ 200 intake port cast iron heads with 50 cc chambers and 2.02"/1.60" valves for my next 400 block based, 3" stroked 325" high rpm jobber.

Just got my valves, guide plates, and rocker studs from Summit from the Brown truck....

pdq67
Never had a set oF 601's that I did up but I did a thread on ported 081's that could kick some butt. Thanks, Charlie
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Posts: 6317
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: Ported Ford 289 heads with port energy discussion

Post by pdq67 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:43 pm

Charlie,

You want to work my new EQ200, cast-iron, 50 cc chamber with 2.02"/1.60" valve heads over for free?? I want the small chambers left as is, is all...

I will go both way shipping.

I think that you mentioned wanting to a while back?

pdq67

wyrmrider
Guru
Guru
Posts: 6932
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:52 pm

Re: Ported Ford 289 heads with port energy discussion

Post by wyrmrider » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:02 pm

finall7 pdq
what''s the bore?
are you opposed to opening up the chamber just a little bit?
what's the chamber like in those heads
got a pic
are the heads bare or already cut for those big valves?
ever think about 30 degree intake seats with that lift?
what cam- you are getting one designed for a ford lifter- right?

David Vizard
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1162
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:19 pm

Re: Ported Ford 289 heads with port energy discussion

Post by David Vizard » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:50 pm

There is a before and after swirl test in my porting book which anyone with the book can feel free to quote the results there of.

DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 4 weeks. My shop or your shop. Contact seminar organizer at marvingvx@gmail.com for details.

statsystems
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1112
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:17 am

Re: Ported Ford 289 heads with port energy discussion

Post by statsystems » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:52 pm

David Vizard wrote:There is a before and after swirl test in my porting book which anyone with the book can feel free to quote the results there of.

DV
Which book? Don't think it's in the book I have.

Carnut1
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3232
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:32 pm
Location: Melbourne fl.

Re: Ported Ford 289 heads with port energy discussion

Post by Carnut1 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:33 pm

pdq67 wrote:Charlie,

You want to work my new EQ200, cast-iron, 50 cc chamber with 2.02"/1.60" valve heads over for free?? I want the small chambers left as is, is all...

I will go both way shipping.

I think that you mentioned wanting to a while back?

pdq67
I did offer to do that for you. Pm me with the head and engine specs in full and your time frame. This last week has been insane at work and I am behind in my porting work as well. These are iron heads correct? Thanks, Charlie
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Posts: 6317
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: Ported Ford 289 heads with port energy discussion

Post by pdq67 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:13 pm

Mr. V.,

Are the heads you refer to, the cast-iron, EQ200, 50 cc chamber, 2.02"/1.60" valve heads? 200 cc intake ports.

Charlie, they are going on a 4.155" bore x 3.00" stroke SBC. 6.25" long rods too. Should be right at a 325" engine... You know, onna the high rpm little jobbers! I will kick myself if it won't do 8,000 rpm!! If my 280/246 solid flat-tappet lifter cam won't cut it, I will buy an old Z-30 Isky! I know it will hit 8,000 rpm easy!

I don't have a picture of the chambers, but I will say, they are quite well done!! little-bitty 50 cc jewels.... Kinda like you do Charlie... Please hunt up a copy of the old mag's test that should have them in it... The article should be still on the web somewhere..I think they tested 10 or 12 or so heads and the EQ's came out fine.. I don't understand why they bit the dust??

I am dealing with Gary, (aka, GOSFAST), to come up with a set of stepped, flat-top pistons, ICON 764, 4.155" jobbers.. Just got my valves, studs and p/r guide plates today from Summit.

Do the block work and balance her and I'll be good to go..

10 to 1 CR, flat topped stepped pistons, 280/246/146, 108/108, 480" lift and needs .030" hot lash so I am going with 1.6 to 1 ratio rockers.

'67SS/RS Camaro car, Long tube, 4-tube headers, a tuned 3310-2 Holley on a NOS 300-36 intake. M-20 4-speed and a 3.31, 12-bolt posi.

What else do you want to know?

pdq67

Post Reply