Ported Ford 289 heads with port energy discussion

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: Ported Ford 289 heads with port energy discussion

Post by mag2555 »

NXboy, from what I can see from your photos if your going for max flow the width of your floor at the crown of the short turn as viewed thru the Intake flange is out of proportion to the roof width!
My MO is to start off with the roof width at 94% of what Throat size I have in the bowl and I try to get the short turn width to be at 98% .
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
NXBOY
Pro
Pro

Post by NXBOY »

Thanks, I'll spend some time thinking about your method. What bad is My cam is in this $500 dollar stock 5.0 motor has only TFS Stage 1 cam with .500 lift. Was only hoping for about 350 hp. Don't need to kill my neck for that. I've had the bones fused together surgically and know have severe stenosis and this isn't much fun anymore lol. Really need to get new 6 inch burs!! Got a complete 357 but waiting on decent heads is why i am throwing this 302 together tell then , but did bring back Alot of memories of the 90s when I ran these heads. I hope to just get 225 cfm or around. Probably backcut the valve. There is alot more meat removed then looks like. The bowl measures at top of the 75 degree cut 1.75 or 90 percent of intake valve. Wish I could figure a way to accurately show bowl pic. But from my experiance the chamber side bowl wall if I have any core shift is already too thin, been there done that .
NXBOY
Pro
Pro

Post by NXBOY »

Another veiw, I do agree I need widen short turn, but don't want to take any chance hitting water. P.S Doing V.J with stones takes a while with the 1.78 seat to 1.94!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Those will make your neck ache with the right converter and gears even with the short cam.Thanks, Charlie
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
NXBOY
Pro
Pro

Post by NXBOY »

Thanks Charlie! I think I did enough for my goal. Yes it not cleaned up yet, still need to bullet nose the guide too. Looking forward to flow bench and probing then I will know more. Wish I had my own one, But got a Great Friend!!
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

Carnut1 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:19 am The ssr is very tricky to get accurate sonic numbers. I left them thicker on my 65 set. They were also from a water cooled boat so I was worried about a corrosion pocket even though they looked clean.
I never had a sonic tester when i first started to grind ports or clearance pushrod holes for big pushrods etc. I always (this sounds so rough i know) would use 1/8th wire, vice and drill twist it (my moron boss at the time thought i was mad & wasting time ) and bend it up into a makeshift caliper with reference marks and reach thru water, oil or pushrod galleries and take reference measurements with a vernier caliper ! Lol,, then grind away.. it worked, i never once hit water/leak doing that amd in the process earnt a friggen moron a lot of money!, but learnt a lot so all good !
Craig.
mag2555
Guru
Guru

Post by mag2555 »

NXboy, the way your roof and floor path are entering the bowl is guiding the air mass out into the chamber wall instead of out into the less restrictive center of the chamber!
On the floor you need to widen the width of the short turn out more by means of making it D shaped from the round that it is now over towards the Exh valve .
To do this right your literally making the overall lenght of the floor shorter from the flange to the bowl , yet keeping the same short turn floor arc ( atleast for now ) as on the chamber side .

In doing this I would really check into getting a sonic test done on the overall short turn and the bowl wall on the Exh side !
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
NXBOY
Pro
Pro

Post by NXBOY »

Yes , my main reason for compromise is the corners are thin and so is SSR when layed back alot and not too worried about performance.And don't want to over port the SSR for a .500 lift cam with max RPM of 6,000. I got some Edelbrocks RPM heads just machined that flow 267 cfm ported , but I like the 10 to 1 compression over the 8 to one with the better heads. I'll think about all you said, I like to hear others Ideas. Sounds like more the method for the 351w head that I've done. I done a few sets with 1.94 that out performed the older 2.02 RPM heads. Made around 475 HP. THis motor just getting me by tell I get better heads for the 357w. No doubt these could be approved if meats there. But if .500 lift is good then I say i'm done.
mag2555
Guru
Guru

Post by mag2555 »

I hear ya!
NXBOY
Pro
Pro

Post by NXBOY »

Getting closer to what I want, like Russian roulette [-X
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NXBOY
Pro
Pro

Post by NXBOY »

Another pic SSR rolled back more and corners widened.
Last edited by NXBOY on Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
NXBOY
Pro
Pro

Post by NXBOY »

Pic of floor from port opening, not a good lighting, but can see corner.
NXBOY
Pro
Pro

Post by NXBOY »

pic, Can't wait to get it flowed. If it does good will be alot of motivation!
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

The 1st trip to the bench with the E7 heads I did was almost disappointing. Only netted 198cfms and the port stalled bad at .400 lift. A very mild rework of the short turn, widened the corners and took .060" off of the Apex height and blended that in netted 15cfms and the port did not stall anymore. Ended up at 213 with a 1.84 valve straight stem, no undercut. I could have got more with more details, but I was tired of grinding by that point.
mag2555
Guru
Guru

Post by mag2555 »

There ya go, now that's looking way better!!

Anybody ever try out long reach spark plugs in these Heads during a dyno session?

They look like a great candidate to me!