Pin oilers on street engines.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

The Badger

Pin oilers on street engines.

Post by The Badger »

While at the shop today I was looking over one of our engines we run in our teams Xfinity car and got to thinking what benefits I could gain by adding piston pin oilers to an engine like a 302 based Ford block. I'm just an intern and don't have access to all of our info and was wondering if anyone could tell me the range of temperature drop we might be seeing at the piston from squirting oil at it, as well as if the old style kits like those that blp sold had any I'll effects on the main bearing life since I do want to drive the engine I'd build with it on the street, I have been reading on site about newer engines running them but none I see are running the squirters thru the main saddle. Any advice is appreciated, thank you in advance.
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Re: Pin oilers on street engines.

Post by Warp Speed »

Really, unless your running a bunch of pan depression, I wouldn't do it for the street.
Although it is the easiest way, the mains aren't the best place to take the oil from, as this is just putting more losses before the rod bearing.
As far as piston temprature reduction, it would help. But unless heat from high boost levels, or extended wot runs with big power is the norm, I think it would be a waiste, and the losses from increased oil would more than out way anything other than longevity during high cycle endurance.
IMO
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Be careful about removing oil squirters that came stock on the engine.
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
The Badger

Post by The Badger »

Just trying to make piston cooler to be able to make a more streetable build with higher compression, I have seen the squirters plumbed into the pan but it has been years and do not recall any of the specifics on the part.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

you can drill the length of the rod from the big end into the pin bore. a shallow groove in the pin bore to allow the oil to go around the pin and out a hole drilled in the top of the rod so the oil squirts on the underside of the piston. you will also need to drill a hole in the upper rod bearing insert
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

How big of a hole would you drill through the rods?
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Finally, the piston cooling process due to oil jet impingement is evaluated for the
Fiat Chrysler full scale 2.0 L Tigershark Inline 4 Cylinder gasoline engine. For this
specific simulation, the cooling jet reduces the volume average temperature, the
stagnation zone temperature, the maximum and minimum temperatures in the piston by
10%, 25%, 12% and 25%, respectively, in comparison with the no cooling jet case.
http://scholar.uwindsor.ca/cgi/viewcont ... ontext=etd

CFD Simulation of Oil Jets with Application to Piston Cooling
By Ghassan Nasif
A Dissertation Submitted to the Faculty of Graduate Studies
Through the Department of Mechanical, Automotive and Materials Engineering
in Partial Fulfillment of the Requirements for the Degree of Doctor of Philosophy
at the University of Windsor
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also see pics of oil squirters used in the Cosworth YB Turbo:
P4.jpg
getrempic3.php.jpg
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

Question on the oil sprayers on that oil pump, are they using the bypass oil to do that? I like that idea of using the extra oil just bypassing through the oil pump. I wonder how restricting the bypass flow would effect the oil pressure. Would it make it act like a stiffer bypass spring and raise the oil pressure?
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

The way it's normally done by the likes of Toyota and Mitsubishi is that the oil is supplied from the mains or main gallery via spring loaded valves. The valves are normally shut and only open at maybe 20 or 30 PSI.
When the valve opens , it shoots oil straight up to the underside of the piston.
Pin oilers are completely different in that they oil the pin, not cool the piston.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

cgarb wrote:Question on the oil sprayers on that oil pump, are they using the bypass oil to do that? I like that idea of using the extra oil just bypassing through the oil pump. I wonder how restricting the bypass flow would effect the oil pressure. Would it make it act like a stiffer bypass spring and raise the oil pressure?
It does not appear to be using bypass oil.
cossie_oil_pump.jpg
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

I thought the title meant pressure feed piston pin bushing, not piston coolers, edit title.

Personally I don't get very excited about it. A lot of folks get excited about ceramic coatings too but I don't. See any irony there?
A lot of OE engines and HP engines have piston coolers but just because they have them does not mean you'll get a lot out of it alone. If they run hyper pistons and then have to use piston coolers to keep them as cool as forged pistons, or to keep them cool enough to keep from coking the oil and sticking rings and last though the warranty..... well then that's what they do. A squirter doesn't cost much and rarely fails, compared to a lot of other stuff in modern vehicles. How long is your warranty?
Will it make more power?......it takes power to sling oil too. Windage and power to pump it.
Will you get ON it just for short blasts or prolonged endurance? Endurance apps need it but short bursts not so much.
If the oil runs hotter will you get an oil cooler? Much to consider.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

cgarb wrote:How big of a hole would you drill through the rods?
I am sure this has been done before and should be in print somewhere
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

pamotorman wrote:I am sure this has been done before and should be in print somewhere

Pauter Rifle Drilling Option
Rifle Drilling is the process in which a path is machined through the rod beam from the rod journal to the corresponding piston pin for the purpose of feeding pressurized lubrication directly from crankshaft to wristpin. Our particular operation is performed through EDM (electrical discharge machining) process and generates an end-to-end through hole of 1.5mm in diameter, keep in mind upper bearing shells may need to be drilled to complete the free flowing of oil from crank to pin. For decades the above process “Rifle Drilling” as has proved to be a positive method of insuring ample lubrication and cooling of this critical area especially in engine programs where vacuuming devices are used to minimize power robbing windage issues.
You don't have to feed the pin. Just use an aimed intersecting passage at the small end. You might want to use a calibrated orifice.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

Kevin Johnson wrote:
pamotorman wrote:I am sure this has been done before and should be in print somewhere

Pauter Rifle Drilling Option
Rifle Drilling is the process in which a path is machined through the rod beam from the rod journal to the corresponding piston pin for the purpose of feeding pressurized lubrication directly from crankshaft to wristpin. Our particular operation is performed through EDM (electrical discharge machining) process and generates an end-to-end through hole of 1.5mm in diameter, keep in mind upper bearing shells may need to be drilled to complete the free flowing of oil from crank to pin. For decades the above process “Rifle Drilling” as has proved to be a positive method of insuring ample lubrication and cooling of this critical area especially in engine programs where vacuuming devices are used to minimize power robbing windage issues.
You don't have to feed the pin. Just use an aimed intersecting passage at the small end. You might want to use a calibrated orifice.
if you do it the way I described the oil will be shot directly on the underside of the piston crown. it also would oil the pin as a secondary benefit.
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

How many 1.5mm drills did you break off trying to drill through almost 6" of 4340? That would take specialized tooling, not doing that in a craftsman drill press.