Spare parts engine build

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

MadBill
Guru
Guru

Re: Spare parts engine build

Post by MadBill »

Proportionally it's less extreme, but I saw a 1030 HP 604" Hemi gain 24 HP when the cam was retarded to zero from LSM's spec of +3°.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
phantomfab

Post by phantomfab »

Before i type out the results, anyone curious on how this turned out? And no i didnt take it to the dyno lol
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Post up the final combo please. Thanks, Charlie
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
phantomfab

Post by phantomfab »

Carnut1 wrote:Post up the final combo please. Thanks, Charlie
There are two final combos actually, I had two sets of 462's so i decided to make the two engines as close i possible. I put flattops in the 355 and the 360, Only difference between the two were the two solids cams and intakes. One was the crane 300 and the unknown solid with a 550 lift. The 300 crane got the hurricane intake and the unknown got the victor jr. Put it in two three link cars that were setup the same. On the track at a playday the two cars were almost identical in laptimes. With two different drivers the cars seemed to be dead on with one another, one had more low end though and the other was winning at the end of the straights. The 300 crane had more at the end, a lower gear would help it though. Compared to the other cars we werent out front but we could deffinitely run with the front half of the pack even took 4th in a 12 car dash for cash. Actually even had the unknown cam with the vic jr intake outpull a friend of mines car with a high dollar 410 dodge. I'm very happy with the results and for the money i have in it i wouldnt even be disappointed if it scattered all over the track. I mean i have about the same amount of money in two full cars that my friend has in his 410 and both of my cars could get around him. The engine with the unknown cam was a little harder to drive but it was far easier to outrun someone in, the low end out of the corner was insane. I will admit that the track went straight from sloppy wet to dry slick basically and alot of cars had problems with getting a bite so the track conditions were most certainly in our favor with the shortage (sort of) of power. On the bright side the track does this quite often. But now that the playing is over we're pulling the heads of the engine with the unknown cam and putting on 993's with a performer cam and going back to running it with the bmods. The other engine and car will stay together. I'm curious of how the cam engine will compare to it's current setup. We'll find out this weekend hopefully. Maybe next week. Thanks for everyone that followed this. I may do some playing around with swapping the heads around on the other engine to see how it reacts.
phantomfab

Post by phantomfab »

btw the car with the 300 crane was the 360 and it was the car i ran in the dash for cash. I had a hell of a day, the other car broke the pull bar and wasnt done for the dash for cash. I had a ton of fun and got to spend time with family and friends.
phantomfab

Post by phantomfab »

Just reading over this made me smile. I cant believe that you guys even replied to that first message. Compared to what I have laying around the shop now to then is just enough to make me wonder what i was even thinking last year. I would just like to say thank you to all of you that commented last year.