Re: 432" SBF build.

Post by Steve.k »

Are you using chi heads for 408?
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

Steve.k wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:58 am Are you using chi heads for 408?
No the 408 is getting ported iron heads (well should be), its a clevo block based mild build and the owner is happy with a well mannered low stall torquey cruiser, that said he is constantly umming about just doing a basic set of alloy heads down the track. So it may end up with some trick flows at some stage.
Craig.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

After some skatey runs and damaged underpants!! Haha, we replaced the rear shocks and springs, Mat took it out and ran an easy 9.88 @ 134 1/4mile, 4K trans brake launch, shift light set at 6500 but he short shifted (still getting used to the car ) @ aprox 5800 and backed out 'just' before the 1st stripe.
Hes got a bit more confidence in its handling now so shift and launch rpm will be cranked up and he is off to do some 1/8th mile stuff to sort his launch and shift routine.
Craig.
tuffxf
Pro
Pro

Post by tuffxf »

Sounds good Craig!☺
xanadu
Pro
Pro

Post by xanadu »

cjperformance wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:07 pm IMG_20171102_248.jpg

Well the 432 is all together and in the flesh looks real good all in satin black. No bling on the whole car, white and satin black, looks really cool. I will get some pics sent on the weekend.
Unfortunately my phone memory card died and i lost all the pics in my phone with only the last shot prior to wrapping it up and rolling it out to the trailer saved in my phones memory which is a bummer. But i hear its now in the car almost ready to start and will be at the strip on sarurday for a few soft passes to check the car and licence the driver.
I hope the oil filter in the photo was just to keep dust out :)
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

xanadu wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:01 pm
cjperformance wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:07 pm IMG_20171102_248.jpg

Well the 432 is all together and in the flesh looks real good all in satin black. No bling on the whole car, white and satin black, looks really cool. I will get some pics sent on the weekend.
Unfortunately my phone memory card died and i lost all the pics in my phone with only the last shot prior to wrapping it up and rolling it out to the trailer saved in my phones memory which is a bummer. But i hear its now in the car almost ready to start and will be at the strip on sarurday for a few soft passes to check the car and licence the driver.
I hope the oil filter in the photo was just to keep dust out :)
Haha yes and no! , in that case it got primed on the stand and did 2/3 passes using that filter..
What have you heard about them?
After copping sh!t about them years ago Ive since done burst pressure and UOA comparisons with them and cut them open regularly, used a WZ10 (same as wz9 but with no filter bypass) on my own car and left it on for 31,000km monitoring oil pressure and UOA sampling and im cool with them now!
The only filters that really are better but are also better than anything else i have personally tested are donaldson filters.
Many people comment on them being crap but only on merit that their mate or the parts guy told them so.
Craig.
xanadu
Pro
Pro

Post by xanadu »

Have had some poor experiences with them in the past. The Z9 type don't seem to have an anti drain back valve, and on
2 occasions we have had zero oil pressure on start up / not Z9. Also have had an Amarok fuel filter casing split. Once burnt they say :)

I like the Donaldson filters.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

xanadu wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:06 pm Have had some poor experiences with them in the past. The Z9 type don't seem to have an anti drain back valve, and on
2 occasions we have had zero oil pressure on start up / not Z9. Also have had an Amarok fuel filter casing split. Once burnt they say :)

I like the Donaldson filters.
Yes donaldson is as far as im concerned the best out there at least in the common ford, chev, holden stuff i do.

The anti drain back valve is visible thru the end plate, Wesfil/Cooper on left and ryco on right, both z9 type.
Wesfil gas blue valve and ryco has red valve.
20180404_131247-800x600.jpg
I totally understand if you had trouble with one and are not into using them again.
I have had a couple rycos with swarf in them, one iirc z160 that did not have the louvers punched out between the filter media and clean oil side!! The rep was quick to come pick that one up !! Lol.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Craig.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

hi craig,
just reread thread and looked back at photos,very nice and well done
i am a chevy guy and have never built a ford engine so i am sorry for my ignorance,i seen the main stud girdle is that kinda mandatory for the fords?
also what compression did you come up with and are you guys using a vp100 based fuel
at 134 mph would be a fun ride and i suspect plenty left in her,what do you think 600hp approx?
anyway good job mate and thanks for sharing

steve c
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

steve cowan wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:41 pm hi craig,
just reread thread and looked back at photos,very nice and well done
i am a chevy guy and have never built a ford engine so i am sorry for my ignorance,i seen the main stud girdle is that kinda mandatory for the fords?
also what compression did you come up with and are you guys using a vp100 based fuel
at 134 mph would be a fun ride and i suspect plenty left in her,what do you think 600hp approx?
anyway good job mate and thanks for sharing

steve c
Hi Steve and thankyou. The main girdle is not an absolute must, the factory fird main web area is not as beefy as the chev stuff but that said the 351W is a fairly stout block. In all honesty I'm dont really think this type of girdle does much as far as block strength is concerned but I 'think' there is some merit as far as harmonic or vibration control is concerned and possibly a little extra support for the center main cap containing the crank thrust bearing. Seeing that this thing is pushing the factory block a bit and it is always staged and launched off of a trans brake and 2 step rev limiter the girdle just makes me 'feel a bit better'. If the girdle were pinned to the main caps and bolted to the block or oil pan aswell I would see a strength benefit but in reality if doing more than a girdle and some block grout is needed then the factory block is just not worth using anyhow.
It ended up at 12.1:1 CR and at the moment is just running avgas. A fuel change will happen some time soon and will most likely compare VP100 etc and E85 out if interest.
We did not dyno it as a cam change decision turned it in to a "will be what it will be" combo but it should still make 650 and a bit hp.
Suspension troubles have not allowed any full noise passes yet, we have changed rear springs and shocks which halped a lot and will next replace the front suspension, rack and brakes , then it will be good to go full song. I will say the car has a very easy 9.40 in it and am quietly confident it will make it into the 9.2xx area which would make everyone pretty happy.
Cheers,
Craig.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

With a little more suspension work Mats Falcon is strating to react in a slightly more positive manner. Late last month he went to Swan Hill Dragway and red lit in the finals to get runner up.
Went 9.83 at 136 , still only 6500 on shift and 6800 over the line but he is gaining confidence to get on the throttle now!
Off the track till next season now , so plenty of time for a few tweeks and checks.
Resized_20180527_120347_3028-600x800.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Craig.
tuffxf
Pro
Pro

Post by tuffxf »

Nice Craig :D
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

Yep, that's getting it done.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

New converter under way for this combo now. We though something was not right, current converter internals are not the best so startimg from scratch, upping the stall and will re asses diff gears from there but it definitely needs more rpm everywhere. But Mat's been having fun doing some crowdpleaser powerskids though !
I cant work out how to get a video on here but can email a vid to anyone interested.
Cheers
Craig.
xanadu
Pro
Pro

Post by xanadu »