18 deg motor sbc

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

crash

18 deg motor sbc

Post by crash »

well I picked a new dart tall deck block 9.3 with raised cam shaft. signature lunati 4.25 crank, eagle 6.2 rods with mahle pistons 4.155 bore. so its a 461 sbc. was told before I did research it was 18 deg motor. I love a good deal when I can get one. $4300 for short block with new bearings and a timing set to fit the taller cam. cam is standard bore as well as lifters. all new never run

so the next day I bought a nice set of brodix 18c 18 deg heads with titanium valves and shaft rockers along with a nice intake .. for a good deal @ $2300. currently at the mach shop having them looked at.

come to find out the pistons are for 23deg heads and not 18. so no big deal I can get some 18 deg pistons bought or made. then ill need to get off set lifters and either intake spacers or find another intake. and push rods ,cam etc.. need to buy them anyway.

so not a lot of ppl around here know a lot about the 18 deg stuff. ive never dealt with anything like it. so the question is ?
what else will I need to look at or do to run this combo? gona drop it in a roadster and drag race on alky. want to shift it 7000-7500 and launch around 4-5k so not going for max effort and wind its guts out, just looking to be chasing everyone in the no box class. also what balancer am I going to need?
2 time track champ and 1 time king of the track
foot braker
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: 18 deg motor sbc

Post by Walter R. Malik »

crash wrote:well I picked a new dart tall deck block 9.3 with raised cam shaft. signature lunati 4.25 crank, eagle 6.2 rods with mahle pistons 4.155 bore. so its a 461 sbc. was told before I did research it was 18 deg motor. I love a good deal when I can get one. $4300 for short block with new bearings and a timing set to fit the taller cam. cam is standard bore as well as lifters. all new never run

so the next day I bought a nice set of brodix 18c 18 deg heads with titanium valves and shaft rockers along with a nice intake .. for a good deal @ $2300. currently at the mach shop having them looked at.

come to find out the pistons are for 23deg heads and not 18. so no big deal I can get some 18 deg pistons bought or made. then ill need to get off set lifters and either intake spacers or find another intake. and push rods ,cam etc.. need to buy them anyway.

so not a lot of ppl around here know a lot about the 18 deg stuff. ive never dealt with anything like it. so the question is ?
what else will I need to look at or do to run this combo? gona drop it in a roadster and drag race on alky. want to shift it 7000-7500 and launch around 4-5k so not going for max effort and wind its guts out, just looking to be chasing everyone in the no box class. also what balancer am I going to need?
I have used the Brodix 18X heads because all the 23 degree stuff fits other than the intake manifold; even the exhaust simulates 23 degree stuff.

All the other 18 degree parts I have used came right from G M Performance Parts.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Seanh832
Pro
Pro

Post by Seanh832 »

Ive got end rail spacers for the 9.325 Dart block if you're interested. They are new in the package from Dart. Ive got them listed for sale with some other items here on Speedtalk.
Maintenance Machinist for Anheuser-Busch
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

you might be able to send the pistons out for recutting depending on what they are check it out b 4 buying new
IDK how much change is necessary for those heads
Seanh832
Pro
Pro

Post by Seanh832 »

On my 9.500 Dart Aluminum block it required Head Studs from A1 Fasteners, the intake manifold distributor hole machined to match the 1 degree angle diffence from stock 1/2" intake spacers and end rails, roller lifter mods to get oil to the top end, Rocket block style oil pan, raised cam timing chain, BBC journal cam, remote oil filter, sealing the timing chain cover bolts since a couple on the drivers side go into the water jacket, sealing the motor plate bolts on the passenger side near the fuel pump block off plate since they go into the oil supply. Probably a few other things I've forgotten.
Maintenance Machinist for Anheuser-Busch
crash

Post by crash »

Mahle said I couldn't cut the Pistons. And diamond said any piston I buy will need to custom made. The cam is raised but not the large bore I think.
foot braker
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

keep looking crash
perhaps someone with a line on 18 degree parts will step up
steve316
Expert
Expert

Post by steve316 »

wiseco has some nice 18 degree pistons such as ( K0030B3 ). You may want to check what shelf sets they have to offer.
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

I am assuming a couple things. That the deck is at 9.325, and its uncut, and you have a mahle 1.0 compression height piston. If that's the case, then you just need a 1.0 compression height piston for a 18 degree deal. Might even be lucky enough to find some similar in weight, which won't require a re balance, and have the same ring grooves and swap the rings over. You will not be able to re cut the valve reliefs. I tried it once, didn't work.

You will need an intake spacer, as I am assuming your intake is for a 9 inch deck block. Dart sells them. Obviously you will need shaft rockers. Otherwise, its just like at other small block. I have built a number of 18 degree stuff over the years, and they make good power. Depending on how well your heads are done, I would think 760-800 REAL hp is achievable. More can be made with them, but for what you trying to do, that's the range I would figure. Your little roadster will fly. Oh yah, and whats been mentioned, the wide pan. And make sure it clears a 4.25 stroke. Don't cheap out on the pan either. You will likely need 4 necked down 7/16 bottom, to 3/8 top studs. They go between the 2 intake ports. Where you usualy burn thru for the bolt hole. On 18 degree heads, that's usualy got a smaller hole there, to allow some material to remain there, to maintain some strength, for endurance. 18 degree heads usualy burn thru on the opposite side, but there is a lot more meat there. Otherwise, its fairly straight forward.
crash

Post by crash »

Diamond said the piston will be less than 1" more like .875 and a very thin 9mm ring. Not the best idea for bracket racing. So now I'm considering selling the 18 deg heads and run 23deg. Looking at the afr's. 245's. Should be around 800 hp.
foot braker
steve316
Expert
Expert

Post by steve316 »

there are shelf sets with 1" com. heights in dome or flat tops that will work; they have .043 rings or 1.5 . Dish piston have to be made. Go to je web sight for list.
steve316
Expert
Expert

Post by steve316 »

Rick360 posted on here about a 434 18 degree motor he built that made 870 hp with 14.5 comp. May want to do a seach as was for a bracket dragster. :)
Rick360
Guru
Guru

Post by Rick360 »

Here's some Diamond Flat Top piston's with 1.00" CH, .043x.043x3mm ring grooves and side gas ports. These are what I used to get over 14:1 comp on 434 and 52cc chamber 18º heads. You'd need a little thicker head gasket or have .025" milled off the top of the piston. You're engine would need ideally a .975" CH so these pistons would be .025" tall, but cometic sells a gasket (C5249-070 ) that is .070" thick and would work fine w/o any piston modifications. The 18º heads will make more power easier than the 23º AFR heads.

http://raybarton.com/parts/index.php/pa ... top-piston

Rick
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

Premium 8620 pins LMFAO
crash

Post by crash »

thnx rick360 / I would love to use my 18 deg stuff so ill look into these. mach shop said heads are really good and checked out just fine, 56cc chambers. and they are ready to go..
foot braker