2.2 Dodge Turbo Engine ??

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

user-612937456

Re: 2.2 Dodge Turbo Engine ??

Post by user-612937456 »

Keep the dream alive brother!

It would b nice if Don would put a Like, or kudo's button feature on peoples account for post like this one above. :D :D :D :D
2.2=8
Pro
Pro

Post by 2.2=8 »

GLHS60 wrote:Warrens, 2+2=8, car is a work of art!!

I found this vid of it.

Hopefully he will post some build pics

Thanks
Randy
https://youtu.be/terYMkUVjgg
For anyone interested in something different, here is a link to my project log on the Turbo-Mopar forum....http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showt ... oming-back
Jeff Lee
Pro
Pro

Post by Jeff Lee »

OK...I’m bragging. Had a ’87 Daytona Shelby Z 2.2 Turbo II with 5-speed. With Mopar Performance cat-back exhaust and MP ECU on Radial T/A’s it ran 15.40 blazing the tires in 1st & 2nd gear. That was under the NHRA Stock B/FS index and I had about 78,000 miles on the car. So I bought 20” diameter M/T slicks and had a muffler shop build a exhaust dump.
Sat the BF/S National record at 14.13. I think this was 1994.
Called Mopar. Looking for sponsorship as I intended to be the first FWD NHRA Stock Eliminator car in the 13’s. Spent 45 minutes listening to MP Chief Engineer how that would most likely not happen. I finally got off the phone. Rebuilt the engine with new OEM pistons, hone, TS Gapless ring package, a new head with a performance valve job, stock cam, blueprinted turbo.
I wasted 3 sets of pistons and heads on my learning curve of “what is to much boost and what is too lean”. Pre-lap-top tuning days also and I had it somewhat rich in the end.
Set the AF/S National record at 13.26. MP said I would be very luck to hit 13.999. On tear down I put a new head gasket on and next pass was 102 MPH which could have been first +100 MPH FWD but it was not official without another tear down. I ran boost @ 18# with VP C-16. Still drove it on the street but with 14-15# boost. Killed those Fox Mustangs on the street and they were always the instigators! That was a very nice car and tons of fun.
Used a CF DF clutch and to save the CV joints I put in an aluminum flywheel and Koni adjustable struts at full-firm when at the track. It worked.
Today, with nothing but a knowledgable tuner, I have no doubt 12.80’s would be possible with no other changes. Still had OEM IC which was way to small.
Tomorrow, I pick up my ’15 VW CC 2.0TSI which received a new clutch this weekend, a larger K04 turbo, aftermarket intake manifold, Snow performance Stage II kit and revised tune. Kit is advertised as 355 HP + another 20 HP+ on the Snow kit. I expect no traction and 112+MPH in the quarter and still 32 MPG when driven nicely. Turbo’s are amazing! And I owe that 2.2 Shelby to my attachment to NHRA Stock & Super Stock.
NHRA SS/G
1970 AMC AMX - 390 4-speed
Advanced Clutches - Red Line Racing Cams
2.2=8
Pro
Pro

Post by 2.2=8 »

Absolutely, you could have run twelves. A few years later it was done by Gary Donovan with his stock 89
Daytona.(and many cars since) Very few minor mods were done to it, full interior and all. It could have been a legal Stock Eliminator car.
At the time Chrysler was not too interested in drag racing wrong wheel drive cars, they put their money and race engineering into road racing, where they were very successful. I was also told by Mopar Performance people, and Chrysler engineers, I couldn't possibly achieve the performance level I have. They didn't have a clue.
n2xlr8n
Expert
Expert

Post by n2xlr8n »

2.2=8 wrote: For anyone interested in something different, here is a link to my project log on the Turbo-Mopar forum....http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showt ... oming-back
God-given and hard earned talent.

I'd own it in a heartbeat.
He who is in me is greater than he who is in the world.
Force Fed Mopar
Pro
Pro

Post by Force Fed Mopar »

I've been playing with them since about '03. Pretty much learned all they're mechanical ins and outs at this point, and have a fairly good grasp of tuning them now also using MP Tune and Turbonator cals. Started with an '87 GLHS on a MP Stage II computer on 15psi. Ran 18-20psi in my '87 Shelby Z until I broke a shift fork in the A520 i was running in it. Next was an 89 Lebaron Turbo GTC hardtop w/ a 2.5 TII w/ Wiseco's and a A568 trans w/a LSD in it. Ran 22psi on it and ran a 9.24@80 in the 8th mile, on street all-seasons. Lowered boost a little and upped the timing, it'd stay with with the early SRT8's on the highway. People hated racing it cause it was a lose-lose for them, if they won, hey it's just a Lebaron. If I won, they had to admit to being beat by a Lebaron lol. Probably only made around 240ish at the wheels but tons of torque.

Lebaron just got a 2.5 TIII swap (the DOHC turbo engine from an RT but witha 2.5 crank and custom pistons), and the old 2.5 SOHC I pulled out is getting a fully ported top end w/ beehives, 2.4 lifters, F4 cam and +1mm valves, and is going into the Shelby Z w/ a 50 trim, which has been sitting dormant way too long.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob M
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

What fun
and not a budget breaker
Jeff Lee
Pro
Pro

Post by Jeff Lee »

[quote="GLHS60"]Hey Jeff:

Thanks for sharing your story!!

I have had a set of gapless 2nd rings for about 20 years and have been leery about trying them.

Curious if you remember if your TS you gapless top or 2nd.

Agreed, MP were terrible concerning the 2.2/2.5, I had a few disappointing calls with them.

Thanks
Randy

Second ring as I was concerned about the heat in the combustion chamber / piston crown adversely affecting the thin rings in the gap-less package. I was still using over the counter OEM pistons as nobody offered a forged duplicate. Of course nowadays I would just have a set made. Car weighed 3,010# with me in it, full interior.
Just picked up my 2015 VW CC today with it’s 355 HP package 2.0T. OMG!
NHRA SS/G
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

GLHS60 wrote:Brilliant build thread, Engine and car are spectacular!!

Surprised no one checked it out and commented.

Thanks
Randy
I did check it out. Great package and beautiful execution. Well worth the read.
2.2=8
Pro
Pro

Post by 2.2=8 »

Thank you gentleman for the positive comments, sometimes I think I should have my head examined for getting so deep into this platform. ](*,)
Back in the eighties I campaigned a Super Gas car till all the delay box and throttle stop crap ruined that class. Wish NHRA would allow this turbo four cyl. in Super Stock............
Jeff Lee
Pro
Pro

Post by Jeff Lee »

2.2=8 wrote:Thank you gentleman for the positive comments, sometimes I think I should have my head examined for getting so deep into this platform. ](*,)
Back in the eighties I campaigned a Super Gas car till all the delay box and throttle stop crap ruined that class. Wish NHRA would allow this turbo four cyl. in Super Stock............
Actually....NHRA does allow the Turbo II 2.2L in Super Stock! There is an excellent tool http://www.classracerinfo.com and I could not find NHRA support for the 1987 in Super Stock but I did find the info to run the 1988 Turbo II (same engine as a 1987) in Super Stock! Here is the direct link with all the information you will need: http://www.classracerinfo.com/Classific ... 91&TRANS=0
Now...are you serious about this?
If so, consult your 2017 NHRA rule book for what’s allowed and whats not allowed. Love to see it happen!!!

FYI - the fastest SS/MA cars are a ’69 AMX with a 290 and a ’74 Pontiac GTO with a 350. Both are neck-in-neck at 10.45 - 10.50 ET.
NHRA SS/G
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

GLHS60 wrote:Jeff, any chance you could find info on 1986 Dodge Omni GLHS 4 dr, 175 H.P.

Thanks
Randy
Good morning...Go to the link Jeff provided. Become a member (free) and you'll get all sorts of information. I.E. the site cross-references your engine and gives the combos and classes it fits into. Quick blueprint specs, etc. Great site for class racing.
2.2=8
Pro
Pro

Post by 2.2=8 »

Thank you for the link, I will look into it. Will have to study all the combinations and specs to see if my car could fit into a class without too much changing. The Laser is a 84 model.
I did study IHRA rules and I could run SS/EC without many changes. IHRA would let me run a lot lighter. My Laser currently weighs 2300lbs with me in it, either way I would have to add substantial weight.
Jeff Lee
Pro
Pro

Post by Jeff Lee »

Ron E wrote:
GLHS60 wrote:Jeff, any chance you could find info on 1986 Dodge Omni GLHS 4 dr, 175 H.P.

Thanks
Randy
Good morning...Go to the link Jeff provided. Become a member (free) and you'll get all sorts of information. I.E. the site cross-references your engine and gives the combos and classes it fits into. Quick blueprint specs, etc. Great site for class racing.
Unfortunately, in 1986 the Omni is not shown. That would mean going to Chrysler and getting them to provide the specs to NHRA. That’s IF you can get Mother Mopar who is now Italian to agree to do so. If your REALLY interested, I have a direct contact @ Mopar racing.
Here is what is shown for 1986:
http://www.classracerinfo.com/CGPage.as ... MAKE=Dodge
NHRA SS/G
Jeff Lee
Pro
Pro

Post by Jeff Lee »

Just go through the ClassRacerInfo.com searching year by year. I’m guessing the Shelby Chargers, etc., are to rare.
Here is what is allowed with the Turbo II in 1988:

Turbo II 1989:

Also try Chrysler as make...maybe even Plymouth.

Or how about the Turbo III 4-valve DOHC? It’s rated 225 HP in both Stock and Super Stock:
http://www.classracerinfo.com/Classific ... 00&TRANS=0

Geez...But for some reason the 1993 Turbo III is rated -25 HP (less) at 200 HP!
That means somebody probably campaigned this at one time and it didn’t run very well against the index and received a HP reduction. The last revision to the specs was 06/15/2010.
Take note of the second line from the top and it will show you when it was revised:
http://www.classracerinfo.com/EngineSpe ... MAKE=Dodge

Regarding a auto trans or manual trans, NHRA revised the rules on that a few years ago. You will note some of these specs say “add 100# for manual trans” You most definitely should consult with your Division Director before proceeding with any transmission change; especially when you (and your competitors) know you are driving a vehicle which only had a manual transmission available.
NHRA SS/G