Fast Fuel Injection Systems Who Running them

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

John Wallace
Guru
Guru

Re: Fast Fuel Injection Systems Who Running them

Post by John Wallace »

What kind of HP can you get from the OEM stuff?
More than 800?

How about 100% alcohol use?

:?:
John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

John Wallace wrote:What kind of HP can you get from the OEM stuff?
More than 800?

How about 100% alcohol use?

:?:
I've made over 1500hp using batch fire mefi4 which might as well be a 90 camaro 7730 processor. The E67(which can be mefi5) has factory gm settings for 3 bar(scalable to whatever you want) and I have the transfer functions for the cartridge MAF all the way to ~ 1900gms per sec if you want to use the maf. That's good to about 2200 hp. Oh, and sequential so we can use those little 160lb injectors :)

I have not played with the E78(can be mefi 6) direct injection computer yet. GM is ahead of the curve and I can't keep up #-o =D>
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Shoot, It's not all doom and gloom in the aftermarket. I hate to come across as that. Most of the newer stuff can work pretty darn good if calibrated correctly.

Sometimes it is good to remind the customer that it IS a hot rod and making it run like a showroom car takes alot more time and/or better equipment. We have all had customers that are very hard to please so I am just noting some things so hopefully you guys don't get "married" to a project you didn't make enough money on to begin with. :wink: [-o<
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
GT350_R

Post by GT350_R »

Dave,

I'm a DIY road racer who ran carbureted forever, then tried the "EZ" EFI offered by both MSD and FAST. The EZ systems work for lots of guys, but when they are a poor fit for a build for whatever the reason, there is little you can do to adjust your way out of the problem. Both the EZ systems I tried did not work for my build and the FAST EZ was actually purchased back by FAST; that unit was then replaced with a FAST Sportsman XFI. That Sportsman unit was easily tuned by a qualified local speed shop and I've enjoyed the benefit of racing with EFI now for a couple of years.

The FAST support is a tiered support structure, and like any technical support you have good knowledgeable guys and guys that are passing through on their way to their next job. When Tier 1 can't answer the questions you just ask to have a Tier 2 guy call you back. I personally had long calls with T2 and was very pleased with the knowledge and attitude. When it was determined by T2 that the unit would not support my hardware FAST offered to buy the unit back and for the same money I paid for it.

If you have a local shop with a dyno who has experience tuning FAST EFI, then it's a very good unit. My car is a '66 GT350-R with a 331 making 570 flywheel, I can stand outside the car on cold mornings and crank it up with no problems and I can trust that whatever the weather is, and wherever we are, the air/fuel will be optimum.

One note, when a EFI says it can support 500 or 1000 hp, all that means is the injection can flow the fuel. It does not mean the ECU can figure out how to deal with your cam overlap or intake, or low vacuum signals at idle. It only means the injectors can flow the fuel.

The FAST forum has some good info on EZ units and why they don't always work. EFI is not always easy, but a tuneable unit in my opinion is better than any of the EZ units unless your motor is a low HP setup. If you have a good speed shop with experience, the FAST XFI Sportsman is a great unit and can change as your build changes over time.

Good Luck,
Darrell George
Team AMF Racing - #66
Racing is life, everything else is just waiting.
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Post by racear2865 »

I have installed more than 10 units of FiTech. Have one with 2 on 496 BBC with 871. One on 383 SBC with 5 inches vacuum. Another with 2 on 525 cu in hemi. Had a problem with one as TPS failed. Went to Auto Zone and got one for 5.7 Camaro and repaired for $17.95. Rest have run flawlessly. Have learned to live with datalogger to tune. Doing another 383 SBC on dyno now. Will finish tune in car. Will do next on 460 Ford
reed
FuelieNova
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FuelieNova »

Shoot, It's not all doom and gloom in the aftermarket. I hate to come across as that. Most of the newer stuff can work pretty darn good if calibrated correctly.

Sometimes it is good to remind the customer that it IS a hot rod and making it run like a showroom car takes alot more time and/or better equipment. We have all had customers that are very hard to please so I am just noting some things so hopefully you guys don't get "married" to a project you didn't make enough money on to begin with. :wink:
Thanks for following up with this comment! I was going to respectfully disagree with some of your initial comments :D
I agree that some customers will never be pleased and those are the ones I hate to help. I will say that my Nova has set over the winter, I installed a new cap, rotor and plug wires. Reached through the window and turned the key and it fired right and idled at hi idle until it reached temp then transitioned down.
To me it was fairly easy to get to that point with EFI.
I will say after this season I think i am going to experiment with the Haltech just for the sake of experimenting.
We'll see, the Holley is hands down the best system I have used including Fitech.
Tom
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Post by racear2865 »

Fuelie Nova
How did u compare the FiTech to the Holley and what did U feel separated the two and made the Holley superior. I have installed a few Holley also and have had both on my dyno and had a bunch of time to look at the datalogger sheets. Ive been able to get the FiTech to sucessfully run at 5 in of vacumn and respond easily at idle. Wasnt quite as easy with thw Holley
reed
turbo2256b
Pro
Pro

Post by turbo2256b »

Has any one used the ProM or eletromotive systems
FuelieNova
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FuelieNova »

racear2865 wrote:Fuelie Nova
How did u compare the FiTech to the Holley and what did U feel separated the two and made the Holley superior. I have installed a few Holley also and have had both on my dyno and had a bunch of time to look at the datalogger sheets. Ive been able to get the FiTech to sucessfully run at 5 in of vacumn and respond easily at idle. Wasnt quite as easy with thw Holley
reed
I was speaking of the Holley Terminator system, on this system the ECU is the same as the HP. Some of the things I like better...
I like having 2D tables to use especially for highway cruising and fuel economy tuning. Below is a link of how you can use them
http://www.hiredgunracecars.com/lean-cruise.html
The ECU already has the coil drivers built in if down the road you want to switch to CNP
I think it has a great data logging package
If down the road you update your manifold to one injector per cylinder, the terminator throttle body is beautiful for blocking off the old injectors and having a nice flowing compact integrated TB for your setup.
Injector end angle adjustment if you get away from TB injection down the road.
With the Terminator system you have the option for transmission control right out of the box if you are running a electronic ignition.
Just a few thoughts with out putting to much thought into it. :mrgreen:
Again just my opinion
Tom
LnL

Post by LnL »

needforspeed66gt wrote:We used a half dozen of the FAST systems on sub 650hp cars, they were all nothing but problems...bad computers, forgetting programming overnight, sensor issues, etc. We dumped them, pulled those units off those cars, and switched to the Holley systems, absolutely no problems now. IMO the FAST units are absolute junk, and their tech support is a fucking joke.

The Holley "self tuning" systems actually work really well.
How long ago was that, Nate? A friend had one of the original XFI systems, and his would lose the programming if the battery was disconnected or drained down too low. He replaced it with a XFI 2.0, and it was a whole new world. No memory loss, even if the battery is disconnected for a long a time. Better performance, live tuning,... he loves the new version.

After seeing his results, I've installed 2 EZ 2.0 systems. I had a wiring harness issue with the first one, but FAST techs were awesome for me and we got it sorted out. The second one installed flawlessly, fired immediately from the first turn of the key, and the owner has driven the p!ss out of it since last August. I also helped out on an XFI 2.0 install. Some "expert" did a shoddy initial installation (MSD box mounted directly next to ECU, ECU "switched" wire was only getting 2.6 volts, etc.) but I sorted it out and it now runs well.

I would not consider any of the original FAST systems, but the 2.0 systems have been good for me.
LCaverly

Post by LCaverly »

EZ efi integrated system seems to be okay, but have had lots of problems with XFI XIM and support was terrible, have used Holley HP system on my 455 with a very aggresive 269-274 solid roller cam 790 lift,on a 108 ,104 ICL drive it on the street and track. Only issue so far is IAC supplying enough air on cold start and I intend to cure that this spring. Also used HP on 200 hp flat head ford and was very pleased with results. Used Megasquirt Microsquirt on 383 marine engine after having problems with MEFI and was very pleased with results. Would stay away from fast unless they have dramatically improved quality control and support.
Len C