460 Ford build

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru
Re: 460 Ford build

Post by DaveMcLain »

F-BIRD'88 wrote:O hear ya.. Use the biggest big muthr thumpr.
use the track heat single plane intake that fits those heads.
10:1 10.5:1

MEASURE your VTP Clearance Before you start and head shaving and block decking.
I cannot believe I'm saying this but if you run into a big brick wall with rpm with the hyd lifters use solid lifters on the hyd big muthr thrumpr cam, if you have to.. Set the lash real tight .001 .004 COLD as
required. (do what you got to do)
If you buy a converter get one that gives you at least 4000 real flash stall at launch on sticky tires behind that 460. So the big trick flow single plane can work.
You're going to need to cam that thing up to make power so use the biggy size thumpr on this one.

The heads are the bottle neck,,,, so that can be the future upgrade for power unless something falls out of the sky.
Watch for local listed stuff for this.

Fords are not cheap or easy to build.
These Fords are cheap and very easy to build...
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Isky cams #311391 SFT EE-391 is not bad for that build.
Solid flat tappet street strip it is only .530" net lift at the valve with the speced .030" hot lash
and it has enough duration to get busy.
You can play with the lash which tweeks duration and you play with the cams position to adjust the exhaust blow down. ( advance it for more ex blow down)* (reduce the lash for more duration)
(you can run the lash a lot tighter than the listed .030" HOT)
This lets you "adjust" things to good effect.

The price is right.

Good with that TFS Track heat single plane or the Performer RPM hi rise
Won't give up the ghost on RPM.

A good deal.

I just checked the cam lobes on this one. It is only a .320" lift cam lobe
so the lift is modest 1.73:1 rockers gives .5536" gross valve lift so net lift w lash is very friendly
.524" to .535" depending on the lash setting and you can play with that.
Isky lobe #S-293
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

I do like this Cool Crane Saturday Night Special complete cam and kit for this one.
It has the right stuff for this job.
Crane cams Mechanical F246/3294-2-8 #351212 is a Complete cam+ KIT set

There is a reason they decided to offer this as a KIT for this motor.
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

Check out this link:

http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/project41.html

It is a story about a 4X4 that a customer of mine built for mud racing. It is silly in some ways but there is some good information about the low buck 460 engine that I built. That engine got raced a ton, later it was replaced with a 557 CJ engine but when he sold the truck he sold it with the old 460. It was then raced for years afterward by its new owner and who knows, it might still be running. It was very solid, we turned it 6500rpm and I've seen a video of it with the shift light on for over a minute WOT in a big mud hole, no problem. I think it probably was close to 500 horsepower.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Id do a accurate all in build up COST analysis on this including the cost of new gears and converter
and compare it against simply Supercharging the 460 motor you already got.

Adapt the Weiand 174 small block ford supercharger KIT to the 460 Ford using the Speedmaster 79 Podium
intake manifold and a simple flat alumina adapter plate.

Sell the included SBF blower intake manifold to recover cost. (Its a $500 intake)

The SBF kit blower drive ratio 1.60:1 is all wrong for the BBF 460
But you fix that By changing the CRANK Pulley from 6" to 7.80"
now you got a 2.08:1 drive ratio and will make well in excess of 500hp on the current mild 460 cran hyd cam and all.

Thats just the start. Drie the blower at a still friendly 2.40:1 drive ratio with a 3.25" blower pully and the 7.80" crank pulley and it will create Silly HP and HUGE torque on that 460 as it sites..

The current car gears and converter are fine as is. The motor does not need to rev up high to make BIG Supercharged power and torque.
This blower is 625HP+ capable,,, 550HP is a walk in the park on a 460 Ford.

Do the math, it is cheaper and more powerfull.
Ya it sticks out the hood. So does that tall TFS track heat intake manifold.

The SBF 174 blower KIT give you most of what you need. pn # 77-174FSB-1
I bet with the affordable Speedmaster 79 BBF 460 "Podium" intake that there are other smart Ford guys already adapting this SBF 174 blower kit to the BBF 429 460.

That Windsor blower intake is just the ticket for a popular SBF under hood blow thru project with dual carbs.

You should consider pieceing together a TorqStorm blower kit for this BBF 460 using the Podium intake
to Supercharge the 460 you got. This blower is also Proven 600++Hp capable.

http://www.torqstorm.com/kits_single_bi ... -ford.html

Research this all FIRSt before you spend a bunch of money trying to hot rod that mustang the HARD $$$ WAY $$$.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

Your brain never rests my friend.

We do not have a motor at the moment. All we have is a core 460 and some core C9 heads.
We have fox swap headers, a weiand stealth intake, and maybe some roller tip rockers.
Just building up a decent foundation is gonna cost about what i have to spend plus i need to get a carb. Maybe the blower next year. More likely nitrous but hopefully i can talk him out of that. I do appreciate all the work and info you shared though.
Brian
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

prairiehotrodder wrote:
Back to the engine suggestions - Why would i want to use D3 heads with bolt down rockers? Instead of C9 heads with adjustable stud mount ? Just because of the hardened seats?

First ... Bolt down rocker arm valve trains under tension will exhibit MORE stability than any stud with a rocker arm on it hanging out in the wind.
Second ... with D3's you can use flat top pistons and save some more money and still get your preferred compression ratio.
Third ... The chambers & valves are about .100" deeper so, more valve clearance is had without any deeper piston notching.
Fourth ... There ARE adjustable pushrod cup, bolt-down roller rocker arms available.
Fifth ... but, you don't really NEED an adjustable valve train unless you are using solid lifters.
Sixth ... No guide plate is necessary so, just about ANY pushrod diameter can be used.
Seventh ... when untouched, the air flow is nearly the same as the early heads
And, oh yea, Eighth ... you won't need to have hardened valve seats installed.

Useing what you already have will save some money ONLY if you don't need to modify what you have. I will bet, you could buy a good pair of D3 castings for less money than what it would take to get well used, 48 year old, C9's into good shape.

It has become very obvious that you are a Chevrolet proponent trying to build a Ford big block.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
mjtorb

Post by mjtorb »

i'll share a combo that i did about 15yrs ago somewhat of a budget build for a jet boat (engine eventually ended up in a drag mustang) 460 .030 over dove heads that had been ported, single plane intake, headers, 850 holley, 10:1 compression with an old school engle 252/268 @ .050 solid flat tappet cam. ran extremely hard in the jet boat. the mustang it was put into was a 9.90-10 second bracket car that was very consistant and reliable. never knew what it made for power but ran exremely well for what it was. just sharing what worked for us at the time.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

It has become very obvious that you are a Chevrolet proponent trying to build a Ford big block

What gave me away?

Thanks for the advice Walter. I did not know all those things. They make good sense and i will see what i can do.
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

9th. The bolt down D3VE style valvetrain can be made to work well with a hydraulic roller by countering the pushrod out of plane problem and reducing its effects on the valvetrain. I've done this several times by keeping the non adjustable valvetrain and just figuring out a pushrod that will pre load the lifter. Scorpion and others do make non adjustable bolt down roller rockers if you don't want to use the stock style.
turbo2256b
Pro
Pro

Post by turbo2256b »

I have a set of Cop Cam hyd roller lifters never used for sale 200.00 + the ride but recommend sticking to .550 lift or under for street strip
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

are the pedestal rockers on 351M/400M engines the same as on 460's?
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

prairiehotrodder wrote:are the pedestal rockers on 351M/400M engines the same as on 460's?
Yes also the same as 351C. The early Cleveland used a slightly different style of rocker the "lug style" and those will not allow quite as much lift before the pushrod starts to interfere with the back side of the rocker arm otherwise the same. Some Cleveland and M engines might have come with aluminum pedestals so check that too.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

will the stock pedestal stuff handle .550 lift? Which is better Alum or steel pedestals?
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

prairiehotrodder wrote:will the stock pedestal stuff handle .550 lift? Which is better Alum or steel pedestals?

Yes with the right spring loads. The non aluminum ones are thought to be better.