General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Timing chain advice

Post by Kevin Johnson »

http://www.iwis.de/en/about-iwis/company/history/

I'm thinking the short chains for Cloyes are constructed from deliberately made parts. Making the extra sets (-15) probably wasn't worth shutting down the line to swap in the alternate mandrels/dies. With ball bearings, for example, altering the lapping time would be a way to produce slightly larger diameters.

Before, with the Porsche 944 and 928 rod reference (adding serial numbers), my point was that with parts that essentially look identical to humans it is too easy to have mistakes happen. I found an example of such a mishap occurring even after serial numbers were added to the rod beams and caps. Say a pallet load of off-spec rollers intended for tighter chains got mixed back into the supply line for standard chains. Expensive land-fill.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

MadBill: Nice older Can Am block. :) Not many of those around...most got used up pretty quickly. :)

I ended up finding an -.020 chain (long discontinued) and it worked ok. The cam retard at higher rpm wasn't exactly a bad thing, either. :wink: Exhaust valve reliefs stayed pretty clean..... :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

to cgarb: If you application is a SBC, I have a NIB -.005 Cloyes chain.

If you can use it for your deal, it's yours for postage.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

tenxal wrote:MadBill: Nice older Can Am block. :) Not many of those around...most got used up pretty quickly. :)

I ended up finding an -.020 chain (long discontinued) and it worked ok. The cam retard at higher rpm wasn't exactly a bad thing, either. :wink: Exhaust valve reliefs stayed pretty clean..... :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Yes, got it in '75. It's a linered 494"; head casting dates are Oct. '69. It was originally built by Jim Hall's shop and came as a spare with my pal's M8C McLaren. It's a nostalgia build for my '70-1/2 Z 28. All period-correct, including a cross ram intake. The only modern parts are a Jones solid roller and associated valve gear.

Good work scoring that 20-short chain!

PS: It must have taken some work to line up the tranny/bell housing!
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

MadBill wrote: It must have taken some work to line up the tranny/bell housing!
It was a stick setup before it came to me and the previous owner had corrected it.
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

Tenxal, you have a PM.