spring locaters

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ZEROMAN91
Pro
Pro

spring locaters

Post by ZEROMAN91 »

I'm doing a spring install on an Ls style head, the springs call for an installed height of 1.780. I can only get 1.740 I tried a +.050 keeper but there isn't enough valve tip left showing. My question is, does any one know of a thinner than.060 valve spring locater?
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: spring locaters

Post by mag2555 »

Calling for a given installed height for a spring package is one thing , but not actually checking the springs you have can lead to a big mistake as many times there off!
There are no thinner locators, but my question is why do you even need one, is not your inner spring the proper ID to locate the spring package ?
If you do not need the locator then a simple shim can be used.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
induction apprentice
Expert
Expert

Post by induction apprentice »

Hmmm.... common problem.

carefull with to thin of a shim.

.015" will likely crack.
a hardened .030" might survive ok but a locator is nice to stablize the bottom of the spring if it needs that. Too loose on the bottom will often catch the edge of the seal.

I always consider dropping the spring pad a last option. But if there is room there. You might want to consider it.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

X2 on what Induction Apprentice posted.
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
ZEROMAN91
Pro
Pro

Post by ZEROMAN91 »

I've checked the springs on a Rimac for pressure, these springs are what is called for by comp cams, for the cam being used .what worries me is the intake lift is .617 this @ 1.740 spring height this brings me to .053 of coil bind so I need another .020 at least for safety sake. That's why I'm looking for a thinner locater before I surrender and run a shim.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Is your coil bind clearance actually measured or just calculated? Many times springs and parts go together and don't always fall where the "book" numbers say where they will be. If its actual measured clearance at the .617 lift point its' a little tight depending on the top rpms and the spring type and pressures so you might just bite the bullet in that case and cut the spring pockets in the head another .025" and run with that.
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
BigBlocksOnTop2
Pro
Pro
Location: Chancellorsville Battle Field, Chancellorsville, Virginia

Post by BigBlocksOnTop2 »

You say not much valve stem sticks up past .050 locks. I have something like .020 and with the rockers set up, the roller tip is very close to the retainer (<.015'')....no problem. It is not touching. I did have to on the exhaust side, take the spring locaters and lathe turn about .030 to get the spring height where I wanted. You have to use carbide and go slow, but it will work. It's a street car with A solid mech. Voodoo with 130 lbs. seat and 355 lbs. over the nose. No problems at all, but traction.
ZEROMAN91
Pro
Pro

Post by ZEROMAN91 »

Thanks for the replies I was able to solve the problem, I called compettion products and a guy named Larry ext 455 hooked me up with a manley locater #42344 in case anyone needs one in the future its the same dimension that came with kit but its only .035 thick that will give enough clearance!
FastBuick
Expert
Expert

Post by FastBuick »

Sorry didn't see this till now, but glad you found some thinner locators. PAC Racing Springs also offers a thinner locator, it is .030" thick.
PAC Racing Springs Authorized Dealer
Independent T-1 Certified Amsoil Dealer
Wix Filters Dealer
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

PAC isn't the only one offering them. Manley and Crower and some others I can't remember right now also make them. Did you even mention what spring is being used? Reason I ask is that there are also some retainers out there which have +.030" designs with stock locks.

As for the coil bind allowance?.. there is no definitive rule that covers all applications and it greatly depends on the entire valvetrain package(ie; lighter flat tappets vs heavier rollers, thick-wall PR's, etc) and how much over-rev allowance these springs give this parts combo. Also factor in how much over-rev protection you have dialed into the ignition and current PTV clearances. I've run down to .030" of coil bind on beehives.. never a problem and they were reused for the next freshening with nearly identical pressure spec's as new. Good quality springs are worth their weight in gold when you start pushing boundaries.

EDIT.. oops didn't read it all and just noticed the manley retainers mentioned above.
ZEROMAN91
Pro
Pro

Post by ZEROMAN91 »

Thanks again for the replies manleys locators fit without any mods the other companies didn't show listings for the thinner parts I'm using a comp cam617 int and a 593 exh with a brian tooley sk001s dual platinum spring kit. Manley drop ships from nj so I should have parts today.