Valve seal questions

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BOOT
Guru
Guru

Valve seal questions

Post by BOOT »

I'm gonna cut some guide bosses down for smaller seals and can't see any reason to not get the cheaper .530 size cutter, but my other heads are already .500, so is there a real size preference? I understand smaller is better for inner springs but I'm only using a single spring. Basically just curious..

Also I have a comp 5631 seal tool but it says for use with PTFE seals, can it be used for Viton or should a tool even be used for Viton style seals? LOL I have three sets of the same heads and all have different style seals and two ID sizes that I've measured. The set I'm cutting down just had large umbrella type on both int & exh, seal boss is .585
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: Valve seal questions

Post by mag2555 »

With lubed up stems and Viton seals you do not even need a stem condom to get the seal on the stem, but the tool or the right size deep socket should be needed to drive the seal on the guide!

What do you have for Valve springs that it's only a single spring?
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Re: Valve seal questions

Post by BOOT »

Mild cam and a 1.25 base spring, the head is dual cut for spring pockets, my other set is also but already has a much smaller seal so idk why these don't.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!