Holley 3310-1

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Re: Holley 3310-1

Post by pdq67 »

As, "Honest Charley", always said, "A 3310, 780 is onna the runninest carbs ever!"....

pdq67
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

TBARTA wrote:My carb is exactly as you describe Jmarkaudio. Except it has what I believe to be a date code of 0894. !994 perhaps? If so then I would take this to be a Holley replacement carb ? I don't mean to get a double thread going, but was the Holley 300-36 dual plane a copy of the original Winters manifold ( runner size, plenum volume, floor texture ) or just a close cousin to it ? If its a true copy, maybe I should leave those tabs in to help in fuel distribution. Oh and 1 more question, what engines did that combo come on ? 302, 327, 350? Sorry for so many questions, just trying to gain as much info as I can. Thanks.
If you put in 8 O2's you might see if the tabs help or hurt. Otherwise you see what the plugs look like.
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

jmarkaudio wrote:
TBARTA wrote:My carb is exactly as you describe Jmarkaudio. Except it has what I believe to be a date code of 0894. !994 perhaps? If so then I would take this to be a Holley replacement carb ? I don't mean to get a double thread going, but was the Holley 300-36 dual plane a copy of the original Winters manifold ( runner size, plenum volume, floor texture ) or just a close cousin to it ? If its a true copy, maybe I should leave those tabs in to help in fuel distribution. Oh and 1 more question, what engines did that combo come on ? 302, 327, 350? Sorry for so many questions, just trying to gain as much info as I can. Thanks.
If you put in 8 O2's you might see if the tabs help or hurt. Otherwise you see what the plugs look like.
AND become familiar with how the tabs work as in where they direct fuel to before modifying them! Check plugs then if you see an issue you can decide wether the tabs are in fact at fault and modify correctly from there.
Craig.
TBARTA

Post by TBARTA »

I understand completely where youre coming from Jmark and Cjperformance, but for an average guy on a budget , to install 8 wideband o2s and af meters , nevermind needing another carb identical to do back to back seat of the pants dyno testing as I gradually remove material is a little more than I planned on. Cause once I remove it I cant replace it.I mean no disrespect whatsoever , that needs to be said. But Mag2555 said Im good to 430hp. That's good, cause Im shootin for 420hp and 440 lbs of torque. I will do plug testing once I get it semi tuned . I am committed to trying to build a good old classic/ street machine . Soooo,,,,,Here it is ,,,,,81 transam 3900lbs , 377 , 9.76 comp, promaxx 185 heads, comp special grind flat tappet , 269,226,...275,224....108lsa,,,,lift ,486 in....456ex. ...1.6 in rockers to get to .486.....1.5 ex.......eagle cast crank . previously balanced for 350 but bobweights have been duplicated for 400 pistons and 5.7 scat rods. , crower camsaver lifters, comp magnum pushrods , comp roller tipped rockers. crower valve springs , tested for seat and over the nose pressures, moroso 7 quart oil pan with moroso hi volume matching oil pump, moroso windage tray 1/4 inch below rods, kb claimer pistons, mahle rings,. many other upgrades including cooling system mods. I do plan on going hydraulic roller in the future. But for now regular oil changes with lots of zddp and molyslip will have to do. So now that Ive said all this......Im still wondering about induction and about that old 300-36 and that old 3310-1 carb. Seems like they were a matched set back in the day. Any and all ideas I would most certainly appreciate.Thanks.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

I want to say that Holley said the great old 300-36 intake is good to 7,200 rpm, but then later down-rated it some. And if not mistaken, it's a bit taller than the stock Z- intake by like 3/16" or so?

I have a new one in its box in my bed room closet. It has to be 15 years old!

pdq67
xanadu
Pro
Pro

Post by xanadu »

A mate of mine recently built a 408 cleveland with 4V CC heads and an original cast iron 4V Dual plane manifold. Destined for an XW Phase 2. Low intensity Solid Roller 250-260@50. Running a 780 vac with rear power valve removed. 12 jet split!!! Made 479HP @ 6500rpm and 450Ft/Lb.
Was quite impressive.
VMC
Pro
Pro

Post by VMC »

I have personally A-B tested a 3310-1 against a 950HP on a 500+ HP 302" SB Chevy, and save for one anomaly around 5500 rpm, the power differences were low single digits.

The early 3310 and 3310-1 carbs were some of the best, most versatile carbs Holley's ever produced.
TBARTA

Post by TBARTA »

Wow! Vmc. That thing musta been turning north of 8000 rpm if NA. Good job !
And Pdq67, Im familiar with your posts....on many sites.... so when a young feller wanted to trade me for a set of 906 vortecs that I scored off a full junkyard engine ( $50 ) , plus he threw in an old quadrajet.......I said sure ! Of course I gave all the info I was capable of on the vortec setup (2 hours later ) .lol. So that was the manifold. Then about 8 months later I see an ad about 40 miles from me for this 3310-1 carb. Hello.....my memory might be fading a bit but I think this might be a pretty good match. So I have numbers from 430 - 500 hp off this carb. BUT is this with modifications to the boosters ? Those little tabs ......hmmm. Im really Wanting to know if theyre better off left in place or not. Well I guess sometimes ya just gotta figure it out by trial and error. I am eventually going to put an af meter in it , much better than guessing. I should also mention that Im going to tune a set of full length headers with 2.5 inch collectors about 30 inches long into expansion chambers with borla mufflers behind that and a crossover pipe to extract all I can get out of the small amount of overlap I have.Sorry once again for the long post. But I most certainly appreciate any and all info . Thanks.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

About say at 10.5 to 11 to 1 CR here!

Imho, it is damned hard to beat a 300-36 intake and a good old 3310-1 or so carb. Add a cheap set of 1.625" dia., 4-tube, long tube headers and real smooth perforated inner pipe glass packs....

Take a 283, 302, or a 327 and add a good old Isky Z-25,-27 or, -30 or so solid flat tappet cam and needed valve springs and go!

They will get right up and talk to you!

It will run as high as you have balls to hold it to the floor!

pdq67
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

TBARTA , leave the tabs on, run it, check/photo all plugs, post pics back here. They may or may not need mods
Craig.
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

VMC wrote:The early 3310 and 3310-1 carbs were some of the best, most versatile carbs Holley's ever produced.
This ^^^^^^.
NormS
Vendor

Post by NormS »

The vacuum secondary Holley carbs got the reputation for making less power than the equally sized double pumpers. The reason for this , is that on most of the larger vacuum sec carbs, the secondaries don't open all the way, and on some , they don't open at all. I've figured out how to correct that problem. Its' surprising how early you can have the vacuum secondaries roll in without a bog. I modified a vac sec 600 to 840 CFM for a street 355 chev, and the sec's started opening at 110 CFM. The engine responded very well to a fast opening to full throttle from a surprisingly low rpm, and everybody who rode in the car thought it had a double pumper. So the vac sec carbs can be made to work very well, they just need a little more help than the double pumpers.
Competition Fuel Systems Birch Run,MI. www.compfuelsystems.com/index.html 520-241-2787
TBARTA

Post by TBARTA »

NormS , Im gonna take a wild guess that you put a larger base plate on that 600. Which should give you a very strong signal to the boosters. And also a stronger signal to open the secondaries . Just guessing though. Ive actually played with double pumpers for street cars by drilling a second hole where the linkage connects to open the secondaries later. Also had to tinker with the secondary pump shot after . This seemed to work fairly well on cars that should have had a VC carb to begin with. Gas mileage was even improved slightly. Told the guy don't mash it to the floor from idle ( heavy car, stock converter, highway gears). Once he was off the line though those secondaries kicked in with a bang. Oh Pdq67 , the heads I have are 72 cc chamber versions , pistons are just a hair over 6 ccs valve pockets, and in the hole .005. Head gasket is a 1014 felpro , .039 thick. And those Promaxx heads are a whole other story.Anyhow I think Ill do as Cjperformance suggested and just bolt it together , run it in for a few days , then check plugs . Thanks everyone.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

I put microswitches on the secondaries of the (non-factory) 600 CFM vac carbs on my cross-ramed '70 1/2 Z28 and found they didn't open fully (or at the same time) until 7,000+. #-o Went to a BB before I got around to scoring a pair of vac spring kits to dial them in but I did borrow a pair of 650 DPs that made a huge difference.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
NormS
Vendor

Post by NormS »

Yes, on that modified 600, I used a 750 baseplate and modified downleg boosters. I've also built some 3310's where the sec's opened real early(170CFM), and with those you could stomp the throttle from idle and get instant response. These were all designed for street use with automatic trans cars, but they also work for drag cars that used a low to moderate staging RPM.
Competition Fuel Systems Birch Run,MI. www.compfuelsystems.com/index.html 520-241-2787