General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Re: 500hp 305 recipe

Post by Carnut1 »

F-BIRD'88 wrote:
ap72 wrote:To put all the money in heads and rotating assembly and such and not spend a few extra bucks on a custom cam is ridiculous.
I'd build this motor for peanuts using a 350 cast crank and 5.7 350 rods and off the shelf 305 domed pistons. This is a no sweat build.
This is not a expensive motor to build.
But guys can easily make it so. The heads and cam are key but need not be real expensive.
This allows a powerfull yet cost effective solid street roller cam.

"All the money" I am sure you could find a way to explode costs.

Sticking a 7110 tunnel ram on it puts me or the poster end user way ahead of the crowd
with a much better result. a real 500+ hp N/A 12:1cr 305 that does not cost a arm and a leg.
If I was going to be a smart ass and do it with modified OEM 305 heads I'd use the 081 castings in fully ported form just like Carnut1 does. Otherwise I'd start with a 200cc port alumnium head.
EG ported GM fastburns. They won't need a lot of work. If AFR would sell the 195cc port heads raw without the cnc porting and before the big valve seats are installed they'd be a great choice too. Allows finishing to a compatable in/ex valve size and matching ports for the 305's smaller bore size. say 2.00"x 1.56" and hand finish the chamber to work with the smaller bore too.

Years ago I ordered AFR heads without the seats cut for the old work truck. It was not a problem.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

The profiler 195cc head or 210cc casting ( the raw unfinished one with the stock like exhaust port shape)
without valve seats installed would be a good start point too.
ap72
Guru
Guru

Post by ap72 »

Are the as cast chambers on those heads set up for small bores?
LOL, according to the post count I'm an "expert." The only thing I'm an expert at is asking questions.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

ap72 wrote:Are the as cast chambers on those heads set up for small bores?
They will be close enough. The OEm stock 305 heads don't even match the 305 cylinder bore.
A bit of chamber bore overhang is not a deal killer.

I'd keep this build real simple and put the fuss and effort where it really counts.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

With knowledge now of the car that this hot 500 hp 305 sbc is intended for, using the tunnel ram
not only is a great advantage to getting a real 500 hp but it adds a coolness factor
with no loss of user practicality in this car that other style cars may not share for street use..

These cars were made for cool tunnel ramed sbc's... The 177 blower bliwn 305 would be a equally cool path
to a cool and low cost fun 500 hp 305 car.
Even cooler if 2x4 carb induction is added to this blower for this cool car. It is a big plus to the final end game
either way. This is the car for it. A single 4 bbl carb would be so uncool on this car.
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: A single 4 bbl carb would be so uncool on this car.
Yes, only the cool guys have tunnel rams and 2 carbs !!!!

And the REAL cool guys have blowers !!!!

I remember back when I had a tunnel ram and was one of the cool ones !!! :lol: :lol:

I sure miss them tunnel ram days !!! :lol:

Randy
ap72
Guru
Guru

Post by ap72 »

I was thinking on this build this morning and I'm trying to wrap my head around why you would try and force an AFR or other 200cc head into a build that it doesn't match when you have a well suited head for about the same cost? Can't figure out the reasoning behind it.

As for the tunnel ram, if you're going through that expense you may as well go all out and get an IR setup. It's just money.
LOL, according to the post count I'm an "expert." The only thing I'm an expert at is asking questions.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Because the 200cc port SBC heads can move enough air to make 500hp without a lot of work.

A 500hp engine needs a 500hp capable induction, head, exhaust system.
If you are going to buy aluminum heads buy 500hp capable heads.
Not 400hp heads with tiny ports.

The tunnel ram is not expensive. Yet make the most N/A power on this motor There are even lots of used ones
around to buy at low cost. And it happens to suit this specific car well. Like I said you will surely find a way to overspend on such a relatively straight forward project and cripple- it with a head choice that is undersized/incapable for 500hp. A 500hp engine has to move some air.

This is a practical non complicated realistic do-able affordable path to 500hp from a 305CID SBC.

As for the tunnel ram, if you're going through that expense you may as well go all out and get an IR setup. It's just money. Holds no water.

You'd find a way to turn it into a $16,000 project that comes up short on power and performance and fun.

K.I.S.S.
ap72
Guru
Guru

Post by ap72 »

F-BIRD'88 wrote:Because the 200cc port SBC heads can move enough air to make 500hp without a lot of work.

A 500hp engine needs a 500hp capable induction, head, exhaust system.
If you are going to buy aluminum heads buy 500hp capable heads.
Not 400hp heads with tiny ports.

The tunnel ram is not expensive. Yet make the most N/A power on this motor There are even lots of used ones
around to buy at low cost. And it happens to suit this specific car well. Like I said you will surely find a way to overspend on such a relatively straight forward project and cripple- it with a head choice that is undersized/incapable for 500hp. A 500hp engine has to move some air.

This is a practical non complicated realistic do-able affordable path to 500hp from a 305CID SBC.

As for the tunnel ram, if you're going through that expense you may as well go all out and get an IR setup. It's just money. Holds no water.

You'd find a way to turn it into a $16,000 project that comes up short on power and performance and fun.

K.I.S.S.
The 200cc heads are NOT keeping it simple. And they do NOT flow more with a 1.94" valve on a 305 bore. And not just any used tunnel ram will match this combo. I'm not against running one but you'll have to find an appropriate casting and then tweak it from there- easier to do with a single plane manifold. You can slap some shit on a 305 and make 400hp but he's looking at a target where details do matter.

I can appreciate your low buck "just throw whatever you can find on it" approach but if he really wants 500hp that won't work here, this isn't a big inch engine which allows so much less optimal choices.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

The edelbock 7110 tunnel ram is ready to rock and is just right for this.
There could not be a better intake manifold for this 500HP 12:1 305 sbc project.
Needs NO rework. its ready and capable and well matched.

You are not limited to a 1.94" valve. A .040" over 305 can use a 2.02" valve.
A 200cc port head with a 2" 2.02" valve will get you there easily with a minimum of work.
A 1.94" valve in a tiny port head will come up short on HP and COST MORE.

The GMPP fastburn heads are a great choice for this . They do not need much work at all
for this. The 200cc port Assault racing "Import" head is a great start point for this.
Does not need a lot of "tuneup" to make it 500hp+ capable.
There are other good choices to consider much like this.
Do not start with a tiny port head. It has to eat. Let it eat. If you want a real 500hp output result. A 210cc port SBC head is not too big.

Your way of thinking will end up with maybe 450hp at best. and COST more. A LOT MORE
If you want a real 500hp engine hit with a 500hp capable cylinder head.
ap72
Guru
Guru

Post by ap72 »

F-BIRD'88 wrote:The edelbock 7110 tunnel ram is ready to rock and is just right for this.
There could not be a better intake manifold for this 500HP 12:1 305 sbc project.

A 200cc port head with a 2" 2.02" valve will get you there easily with a minimum of work.

The GMPP fastburn heads are a great choice for this . They do not need much work at all
for this. The 200cc port Assault racing "Import" head is a great start point for this.
Do not start with a tiny port head. It has to eat. Let it eat. If you want a real 500hp output result. A 210cc port SBC head is not too big.

Your way of thinking will end up with maybe 450hp at best. and COST more. A LOT MORE
The TF heads are 500hp capable out of the box. So are all the others you listed. The difference is that the TF heads are better matched to this goal. Running too large of a port and shrouding the valves won't help you. But whatever. I'm sure the OP knows how to put together an engine.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

One area where you should burp the wallet a bit is on a scattershield and steel flywheel
as this one is going to spin up a bit.

That TFS 170cc head for the 305 is too small and will come up way short of 500hp

on this motor. it is a 400-450hp cylinder head. Buy a 500hp cylinder head.
Buy a bare 200cc port head. Nice if you can get it raw semi finished without valve seats
to use a 2.00"x 1.56" valve set.

The TFS 195cc port 23deg head has potential..
that Blueprint engines 195 200cc head (profiler) has the stuff.

Spend your money once where it will do the most good.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Look at the RaceSaver 305 Sprint Car engines. http://rules.racesaver.com/racesaver/rules.cfm?rk=12
They make about 450hp, and are limiter to 10:1 compression, a spec head, and a valve spring that only allows for a mild camshaft.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

CamKing wrote:Look at the RaceSaver 305 Sprint Car engines. http://rules.racesaver.com/racesaver/rules.cfm?rk=12
They make about 450hp, and are limiter to 10:1 compression, a spec head, and a valve spring that only allows for a mild camshaft.
Yep. As well, take a look at the 305 NHRA Stock Eliminator engines...a good one makes 430-440 hp, flat top pistons, 55cc chambers, 1.84/1.50 valves, intake port @ 159 cc's, ex. port @ 59.0 cc's, .403/.415 cam, cast iron intake with a QJet.

I'm constantly amazed that people don't investigate 'who's doing what with a similar package' before jumping head long into a build. :?:
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

F-BIRD'88 wrote:The edelbock 7110 tunnel ram is ready to rock and is just right for this.

well you can probably get empi off 48 or 51mm IDA webber clones and a manifold for much less$$$
and on this size engine they aren't going to kill the power by being too small like they will on a 400" motor....
and you have to acknowledge that the throttle response is better than the TR with some slop Holleys on it, and for something more roadracey/rallyish than draggy, its a way cool setup.... but a TON of work...