3.0L Mercruiser 1987

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rmyauck

Re: 3.0L Mercruiser 1987

Post by rmyauck »

No shops here anymore as I live in a dying mining town in northern Canada, but someone may have tools. Maybe I should buy the basic tools for doing it.

I agree with you on the oil! I will have to compare the factory clearances to what car engines use now! It always had good oil pressure and the Mobil 1 was actually 15W x50 not 20W50 as I said earlier. I really think a 10W x 30 would likely be better for most users if it can be used.

Shell also makes a popular oil for big Diesels , Rotela T6 synthetic 5W40. I actually haven't driven the Cummins 5.9 much in the summer and that Esso 0W40 is actually not like H2O in the summer & the oil pressure is great! Lot's of people around here use it year around and in their gas engines too. The USAF has a base here (I worked for a contractor there) and I introduced them to the idea of synthetics & the USAF HQ said Mobil 1 it all. Made things a lot easier & longer life for equipment year around.

Thanks

Randy
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

Canada? I was envisioning more like florida
Temperatures also a factor of course....! with oil weight.

One time I "explained" to a guy in canada how to straighten a crank, and he had it bent clear the other direction in no time flat :oops: I don't think it ended well, never did hear back.
So I don't know if it is wise to encourage doing some of these things yourself, but, if you are already determined and have any questions about how to change those pins, feel free to ask.
rmyauck

Post by rmyauck »

Thanks Modok!

80F up here today and 90's coming next week!

10W30 can be used in a industrial version so I may give it a try with synthetic of course.

Someone told me of a guy that might have the tools and I think someone with a parts business also may have the tools from when they owned a small machine shop. I have disassembled British engines to trade or check parts and luckily they had full floating piston pins. I am always careful to not do anything without full knowledge on the best way! No big rush and just waiting for local quotes on parts.