Valve guide for super alloy valves

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Matt80
Valve guide for super alloy valves

Post by Matt80 »

Hi, is there any adviced material for valve guides when using Ferrea Competition Plus (Super alloy) valves?
Thanks
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Re: Valve guide for super alloy valves

Post by Keith Morganstein »

Manganese-bronze guides. CHE, SI, PEP brands all make a good guide. Bronze guide liners will work too.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
Brian W
Pro
Pro

Post by Brian W »

I use CHE for pretty much all guides... That includes blown alcohol engines using super alloy valves. They just work...period.
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

Not sure if any of you have seen these, my parts warehouse guys didn't know they had them, but really nice manganese bronze guides, sbi 340-1042br, 2.234 long, or 340-1043br, 2.600 long, .502 od, .570 step, .530 seal. They are very nice, and hold up well, and very reasonable I use these almost exclusively. They also have 7mm, 8mm/5/16. Comes small so you can size how you want
Matt80

Post by Matt80 »

Keith Morganstein wrote:Manganese-bronze guides. CHE, SI, PEP brands all make a good guide. Bronze guide liners will work too.

I thought Manganese bronze was quite a "normal" material, as I read it was just a soft one to make the guide work easier. Probably there are a lot of manganese bronze alloy around.
Will ask CHE or SI then Thanks.
induction apprentice
Expert
Expert

Post by induction apprentice »

CHE guides are amazing! The people are great! Machine quality, accuracy and crazy alloy stands up amazing! They are all i use. Also they have some really nice alloy seat material options, lifter and rocker arm bushings and so on.
integrale Evo

Post by integrale Evo »

Trojan alloy is the best material.
induction apprentice
Expert
Expert

Post by induction apprentice »

integrale Evo wrote:Trojan alloy is the best material.
"Trojan alloy" Thats awesome! I'm gonna use that when talkin to the ladies. :)
Matt80

Post by Matt80 »

What about phosphorous bronze for valve guides?
How is that compared to manganese bronze?
Thanks
Abbottracingheads
Expert
Expert

Post by Abbottracingheads »

The phosphorous bronze guides are softer and will not last as long. Use the Manganese bronze.
Abbott Racing Heads and Engines
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

How about, "Silicon Bronze", and, "Herculoy"? Too hard?

pdq67
NORSK

Post by NORSK »

Why not just use a simple brass guide :)
As long as its long enough and has correct O.D/I.D and a centered hole (which is not always the case) and correct dim for the intended stem seal
Then all is good
People tend to overcomplicate many components in my honest opinion
tresi
Pro
Pro

Post by tresi »

Keith Morganstein wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:16 pm Manganese-bronze guides. CHE, SI, PEP brands all make a good guide. Bronze guide liners will work too.
Aren't bronze liners phosphorous bronze? I thought the fact that they are softer and deflected but would spring back was what made them work? If phosphorous bronze guide is too soft won't a phosphorous liner also be too soft? I'm not doubting what you said I'm just trying to understand it better. If I'm wrong about the liners being phosphorous bronze please tell me.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

Guide liners are spring tempered phosphor bronze. They are hard, not soft and broaching them to size likely work hardens them a bit more.
If installed correctly, they work fine.

Which method I use (whole guide or liner) depends on the job and the type of head, I have no problems with either.

It seems that just because a manufacturer of valves uses the term "super alloy", folks seem to think a special "super alloy" valve guide is needed for them.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

Thead makes me paranoid... built an early 80s Audi engine (aluminum head, ??? guide material) with super alloy valves for heat tolerance since these engines tend to run high EGT when you really crank the boost up. I forget the manufacturer now since I bought the valves a looong time ago, I just remember that they were something like $50/valve.