General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

David Vizard
Guru
Guru
Re: Race Engine Challenge

Post by David Vizard »

In responce to Walter, Randy 331 wrote:-

Walter is right. The idea that all the EMC engines are fragile dyno queens is completely wrong.

We've raced our 2011 entry, and had it on the dyno a lot since the EMC.

Randy

Making sure that an engine will be reliable can put the brakes on an all out build but I think that's the way it should be. Grenade motors are not a lot of use for those of us with limited budgets.

Last years 572 build for GM could have been at least 50 hp more if it was not for the 50 hour reliability test. Thats wide open and walk away from it for 50 hours(in case that was not obvious).

My most agressive reliability test was with an N2O BBC. To show the customer it was reliable I fed 80lbs of blue bottle gas through it in one push.
Had enough boiling water from the dyno to make about 600 gallons of coffee!!
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Greg,

Any chance we can get at least some idea of the smallest CID build THAT WILL BE ALLOWED???
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

David Vizard wrote:...Last years 572 build for GM could have been at least 50 hp more if it was not for the 50 hour reliability test. Thats wide open and walk away from it for 50 hours(in case that was not obvious)... DV
And budget for over 3,000 gallons of fuel! #-o
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

MadBill wrote:
David Vizard wrote:...Last years 572 build for GM could have been at least 50 hp more if it was not for the 50 hour reliability test. Thats wide open and walk away from it for 50 hours(in case that was not obvious)... DV
And budget for over 3,000 gallons of fuel! #-o
Just think of the fuel used by a 3500 hp Pratt & Whitney 28 cylinder 4360 for the 1000 hour test!!

Greg,

Anything to report????????????????????

Any in advance of PRI rules to report or even hint of????

DV
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

Yeah I'm interested as well!!!!
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

CGT wrote:Yeah I'm interested as well!!!!
Please lets not leave just those few of us (CGT AND MYSELF) requesting ealier event rules out in the dark here.

Greg why can we not get the rules ASAP here???
DV
Rick360
Guru
Guru

Post by Rick360 »

AND LET'S ALL USE REALLY BIG LETTERS AND LOTS OF COLOR SO EVERYBODY WILL SEE WHAT WE WRITE
Wow
:lol:

Rick
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Rick360 wrote:AND LET'S ALL USE REALLY BIG LETTERS AND LOTS OF COLOR SO EVERYBODY WILL SEE WHAT WE WRITE
Wow
:lol:

Rick
Good Idea -we would not want to go unoticed would we?
DV
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Personally ... I think Greg and everyone who else is involved are learning just how difficult it can become putting a rules package together which is equitable to as many engine brands as possible to get a level playing field.

I have faith they will get there but, certainly not quickly.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Gregory

Post by Gregory »

The rules are petty much set, but not set in stone. Creativity has been the guiding light. We don't want to release our
rules before PRI and show our hand to those running the EMC before they relaese their rules at PRI for 2018.
It's hard to please everybody, but the good news is that starting the following year (2019) we will have two contests, two
weeks in a row in October (maybe even three events) with different rules so we can cover different engine build levels.
Don't hesitate to put your ideas forward.
http://www.raceenginechallenge.com

Greg Finnican
Charlotte, NC
704 408-7356
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Greg,

I like that idea.

While I am at PRI this year I am going to attempt to round up some contingency price money for subcatagories. For instance someone may enter with a 427 small block that is a conventioal single 4 barrel engine that is well sorted and demonstrates a very good combo. Such an engine may not win but deserves recognition anyway. A grand for the best cast mass produced intake would not go astray.

DV
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

I have had a few budget build Chevy fans contact me with reference to minimum displacement for this challenge. They are saying that the lower limit should be such as to allow popular stroker builds compete. I think this makes sense. Why? Because a 383 can be built at relatively low cost and an rpm limit of 7500 would still allow a low buck Scat 9000 series crank to be used as well as Scat's stroker Promod rods.

About 5 years ago I did a 12/1 single 4 barlle carbed 383 that cranked out 542 lbs/ft and 649 hp. We did a quick test with 2 fours on a tunnel ram and bumped the output to 672 hp and 555 lbs/ft and that was a nothing special build in terms of parts used.

So I think a more refined motor like this should find a place in this race engine challenge.

Comments/thoughts please.

DV
Rick360
Guru
Guru

Post by Rick360 »

David Vizard wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:50 pmI have had many people ask me why I don't enter the EMC and the simple truth is I am up to my ears in stuff that is more race then EMC material.

Add to that the cost - to do the job in sufficient detail to have a chance at winning is probably about $50,000 (I have heard of figs as high as $75,000). I am a one man business. In my shop I do everything including scrubbing the floor.If I am working on an engine that would have only minimal to do with my business then I would most likely starve before it was all over.
That's a nice looking engine, but it doesn't look like a $50,000 - $75,000 engine to me.

Rick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Rick, could you share with us the total cost of the "sets" of heads, all the cams, lifters, "intakes," "carbs" 100's of hours of dyno time of "both" engines plus all the misc and travel cost to get to a winning engine if a guy like me without the free access of above mentioned stuff was going to try to enter next years competition?
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

Man hours porting heads for a competition that could've been spent porting heads for a customer... etc.