Race Engine Challenge

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Locked
GARY C
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3321
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 10:58 pm

Re: Race Engine Challenge

Post by GARY C » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:27 pm

Walter R. Malik wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:17 pm
GARY C wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:06 am
You and I both know why you posted what you posted and why you want to play off the actually cost incurred from start to finish, at least now I know I can believe "half" of what you post!
Simply to exist in this world cost money. When you have a limited amount of money, It just depends upon where you wish to spend it and how you wish to sacrifice.

Personally ... eating hot dogs, salami and cheese sandwiches and sometimes buying some jelly to put on the peanut butter sandwiches throughout the year is the sacrifice I made to afford what I built.
My brother is a boater and he spent a whole lot more money than me this past summer and gets absolutely no monetary return at all for his costs.

Rick and Randy are totally correct ... it merely depends upon the priority and WHERE you elect to spend whatever money you have; the final cost of doing that engine is really immaterial.
That still doesn't change what it cost.
EDIT! I don't have a problem with what it cost, I have built my share of cars and engines because I wanted to and not for resale or profit.

Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3398
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:15 am
Location: Roseville, Michigan (just north of Detroit)
Contact:

Re: Race Engine Challenge

Post by Walter R. Malik » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:05 pm

GARY C wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:27 pm
Walter R. Malik wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:17 pm
GARY C wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:06 am
You and I both know why you posted what you posted and why you want to play off the actually cost incurred from start to finish, at least now I know I can believe "half" of what you post!
Simply to exist in this world cost money. When you have a limited amount of money, It just depends upon where you wish to spend it and how you wish to sacrifice.

Personally ... eating hot dogs, salami and cheese sandwiches and sometimes buying some jelly to put on the peanut butter sandwiches throughout the year is the sacrifice I made to afford what I built.
My brother is a boater and he spent a whole lot more money than me this past summer and gets absolutely no monetary return at all for his costs.

Rick and Randy are totally correct ... it merely depends upon the priority and WHERE you elect to spend whatever money you have; the final cost of doing that engine is really immaterial.
That still doesn't change what it cost.
EDIT! I don't have a problem with what it cost, I have built my share of cars and engines because I wanted to and not for resale or profit.
No ... it doesn't change the cost but, it just doesn't matter to anyone except to some who are not even involved.

I, and probably a lot of others, never kept track and don't plan on going backward to figure it out just because someone else wants to know.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.

GARY C
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3321
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 10:58 pm

Re: Race Engine Challenge

Post by GARY C » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:11 pm

Walter R. Malik wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:05 pm
GARY C wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:27 pm
Walter R. Malik wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:17 pm


Simply to exist in this world cost money. When you have a limited amount of money, It just depends upon where you wish to spend it and how you wish to sacrifice.

Personally ... eating hot dogs, salami and cheese sandwiches and sometimes buying some jelly to put on the peanut butter sandwiches throughout the year is the sacrifice I made to afford what I built.
My brother is a boater and he spent a whole lot more money than me this past summer and gets absolutely no monetary return at all for his costs.

Rick and Randy are totally correct ... it merely depends upon the priority and WHERE you elect to spend whatever money you have; the final cost of doing that engine is really immaterial.
That still doesn't change what it cost.
EDIT! I don't have a problem with what it cost, I have built my share of cars and engines because I wanted to and not for resale or profit.
No ... it doesn't change the cost but, it just doesn't matter to anyone except to some who are not even involved.

I, and probably a lot of others, never kept track and don't plan on going backward to figure it out just because someone else wants to know.
Ok!
I encourage all who want to jump in on this to go back and understand the context before putting in their 2 cents and if you want to get involved please let me know and I will PM you my cell phone number and we can discuss this as long as you wish but this conversation either needs to go off line or if you wish I can start a EMC "Initial Investment cost" thread...Thanks and have a great day!

Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3398
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:15 am
Location: Roseville, Michigan (just north of Detroit)
Contact:

Re: Race Engine Challenge

Post by Walter R. Malik » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:12 pm

GARY C wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:11 pm

Ok!
I encourage all who want to jump in on this to go back and understand the context before putting in their 2 cents and if you want to get involved please let me know and I will PM you my cell phone number and we can discuss this as long as you wish but this conversation either needs to go off line or if you wish I can start a EMC "Initial Investment cost" thread...Thanks and have a great day!
I have been a contestant in all 16 EMC contests ... I think I understand and am aware of the context of the costs.

It is plain to see that you would not enter such a contest.
Where and how you spend your money is your prerogative; your prerogatives won't be an influence upon any body else and no one here even cares about your prerogatives, or anyone else' for that matter, to warrant any further discussion about the finances involved.
Everyone is entitled to have their own opinion about this kind of thing. It is just that ... your own opinion.

EDIT: Oh yea, Have a nice day ...!
Last edited by Walter R. Malik on Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.

Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3398
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:15 am
Location: Roseville, Michigan (just north of Detroit)
Contact:

Re: Race Engine Challenge

Post by Walter R. Malik » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:21 pm

This kind of crap certainly does not need to continue clogging-up Greg's thread about his own coming contest.

We really should get back to what he intended it to be ... ideas about HIS contest.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.

GARY C
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3321
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 10:58 pm

Re: Race Engine Challenge

Post by GARY C » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:45 pm

Walter R. Malik wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:12 pm
GARY C wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:11 pm

Ok!
I encourage all who want to jump in on this to go back and understand the context before putting in their 2 cents and if you want to get involved please let me know and I will PM you my cell phone number and we can discuss this as long as you wish but this conversation either needs to go off line or if you wish I can start a EMC "Initial Investment cost" thread...Thanks and have a great day!
I have been a contestant in all 16 EMC contests ... I think I understand and am aware of the context of the costs.

It is plain to see that you would not enter such a contest.
Where and how you spend your money is your prerogative; your prerogatives won't be an influence upon any body else and no one here even cares about your prerogatives, or anyone else' for that matter, to warrant any further discussion about the finances involved.
Everyone is entitled to have their own opinion about this kind of thing. It is just that ... your own opinion.

EDIT: Oh yea, Have a nice day ...!
That is a fact!
Every engine I have built had a car waiting for it, my only concern was that it does what is intended and runs the number needed. I have learned some useful info on the dyno and it is a valuable tool.

I have never met a successful business man that did not factor in all cost to make sure that the investment is worth the cost. This is actually very relevant to Greg's competition because if cost is not factored in then it is not likely the competitor will be prepared or stand a chance of winning and could actually do more harm than good for his business

You can bet your but that Joe knows exactly what was spent and I would be very surprised if it is not part of his tax write off at the end of the year right down to the last dollar...Actually if I built engines for a living I would be more inclined to be involved because having fun and writing it off on your taxes doesn't get any better.

zums
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1149
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:57 am
Location: south jersey

Re: Race Engine Challenge

Post by zums » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:46 pm

Look at all the "certain authors" mice jump on the guys that won the comp to nit pick the dumb shit, do you think your hero dosent get free parts if he puts the manu in the book? Or is it because they dont have a website, some of the worst machine / race shops around have a web site to suck you in, or is it because previous posts of said builder/porter dont agree with how you have been brainwashed to build/port an engine. Far as im concerned they should be congratulated not questioned about their testing costs, call BES and ask the same
Tom

Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3398
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:15 am
Location: Roseville, Michigan (just north of Detroit)
Contact:

Re: Race Engine Challenge

Post by Walter R. Malik » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:58 pm

zums wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:46 pm
Look at all the "certain authors" mice jump on the guys that won the comp to nit pick the dumb shit, do you think your hero dosent get free parts if he puts the manu in the book? Or is it because they dont have a website, some of the worst machine / race shops around have a web site to suck you in, or is it because previous posts of said builder/porter dont agree with how you have been brainwashed to build/port an engine. Far as im concerned they should be congratulated not questioned about their testing costs, call BES and ask the same
Tom
YES ... this is all about a personal challenge and the satisfaction it will bring even if there were absolutely no prize money involved. For me anyway ... I don't rely on outside sources to provide my entertainment. This is an exercise in learning and not about winning but, seeing what can be done with as little investment as possible.

I really don't care what anyone else outside thinks about it.
They can go play with their own toys and spend their own money on whatever; that is their business and no one else has any rights to that information.

Greg ... do you have any idea exactly what venue at the PRI show where your contest particulars and rules will be disclosed...?
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.

GARY C
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3321
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 10:58 pm

Re: Race Engine Challenge

Post by GARY C » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:21 pm

zums wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:46 pm
Look at all the "certain authors" mice jump on the guys that won the comp to nit pick the dumb shit, do you think your hero dosent get free parts if he puts the manu in the book? Or is it because they dont have a website, some of the worst machine / race shops around have a web site to suck you in, or is it because previous posts of said builder/porter dont agree with how you have been brainwashed to build/port an engine. Far as im concerned they should be congratulated not questioned about their testing costs, call BES and ask the same
Tom
The Creason team Kicked A$$ and I don't know anyone that would say different...Back up a few pages and figure out what your talking about!
Could be that your in the wrong conversation as usual... Let me help! https://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... &start=210

zums
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1149
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:57 am
Location: south jersey

Re: Race Engine Challenge

Post by zums » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:13 pm

The Creason team Kicked A$$ and I don't know anyone that would say different...Back up a few pages and figure out what your talking about!
Could be that your in the wrong conversation as usual... Let me help! https://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... &start=210
[/quote]

Im responding to you, in this thread genius, i could care less about general discussion
Tom

GARY C
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3321
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 10:58 pm

Re: Race Engine Challenge

Post by GARY C » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:51 pm

zums wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:13 pm
The Creason team Kicked A$$ and I don't know anyone that would say different...Back up a few pages and figure out what your talking about!
Could be that your in the wrong conversation as usual... Let me help! https://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... &start=210
Im responding to you, in this thread genius, i could care less about general discussion
Tom
[/quote]
Wow, I would have never guessed...thanks for the heads up and acknowledgment...Your smarter than everyone gives you credit for!

Shall we continue?

User avatar
MadBill
Guru
Guru
Posts: 12605
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:41 am
Location: The Great White North

Re: Race Engine Challenge

Post by MadBill » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:07 am

Guess it's past time to unsubscribe... ](*,)
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.

GARY C
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3321
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 10:58 pm

Re: Race Engine Challenge

Post by GARY C » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:43 am

MadBill wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:07 am
Guess it's past time to unsubscribe... ](*,)
Look on the bright side, this thread has Speed Talk 2nd and 3rd on the Bing search engine and DV is the only one here accused of advertising.

Gota love the interweb. #-o

David Vizard
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1158
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:19 pm

Re: Race Engine Challenge

Post by David Vizard » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:45 am

WeingartnerRacing wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:29 pm
The biggest reason most don’t enter an engine challenge is because if they do bad then all the chest pounding and tech articles come off looking fake or wrong. It takes money, time, effort, and balls to do the competition because the competition will take everything. If you can say I was wrong and that didn’t work and be okay with that then give it a go.
Eric,

Got to say you really nailed it here. This is why you don't get to many writers who make a living entering such competitions because as you say 'if they do bad then all the chest pounding and tech articles come off looking fake or wrong'.

However there is another side to the coin. According to some editorial estimates I am read by about a million people a month. Since I rarely quote other peoples findings what ever is printed is most often due to my findings alone.One thousand totally functional
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 4 weeks. My shop or your shop. Contact seminar organizer at marvingvx@gmail.com for details.

User avatar
CamKing
Guru
Guru
Posts: 8207
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:05 pm
Location: Denver, NC
Contact:

Re: Race Engine Challenge

Post by CamKing » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:04 pm

The first question that needs to be answered, is what are these engines supposed to represent?
Are these supposed to represent "Street-Strip" performance engines that the average customer can afford, or do they represent unlimited budget racing engines that only the well sponsored can afford ? Those are 2 totally different animals, and the rules would be completely different for each.
I really don't think the average customer will ever get to enjoy the benefits from a $20,000 cam development program.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs
Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
(704)489-2449

Locked