First time out with new 412Reher Morrison looking for opinions

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

CGT
Guru
Guru
Re: First time out with new 412Reher Morrison looking for opinions

Post by CGT »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:29 am I ran it thru simpl:fied math method roughly for 4000 ft. Air density
The motor is fine.
And what CF did you come up with when doing this? So your saying the ET of this car suggests 700hp when corrected?
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

I did not use et. I used mph and one data point 112 mph.
It is fine. Roughly...
Need the time slips and day times for this.
Question: If you change gears and the et changes, did the elevation or track air density change?

Use mph... ET is about traction, driving, chassis set up etc.
Got a few tricks he can use to get the mph up too.
Does that mean the correction factor changes?

Now that the cars gearing is roughly in the ball park
He can start dialing it all in. The 4.88 was way off for this 2 speed sbc car and 1/8 th mile.
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:08 am I did not use et. I used mph and one data point 112 mph.
It is fine. Roughly...
You didn't answer. So you really didn't figure anything up?
VegaJohn

Post by VegaJohn »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:08 am I did not use et. I used mph and one data point 112 mph.
It is fine. Roughly...
Question: If you change gears and the et changes, did the elevation or track air density change?

Use mph... ET is about traction, driving, chassis set up etc.
Got a few tricks he can use to get the mph up too.
Does that mean the correction factor changes?

Now that the cars gearing is roughly in the ball park
He can start dialing it all in. The 4.88 was way off for this 2 speed sbc car and 1/8 th mile.
Thanks for diving into this. It’s all splitting hairs anyways. As long as I know it’s in the ballpark. I know I do not have this combination up to the standards Reher Morrison calls for and will keep picking away and perfecting it. It’s probably true that the cam isn’t ideal for my altitude. But when the tunnel ram goes on it will be more ideal.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

CGT wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:20 am
It is fine. Roughly...
You didn't answer. So you really didn't figure anything up?
So if you let off the gas early at the end or spin the tires a bit does the CF change?
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

Where do you race ? Edmonton ?

Cool little vega you have. I read through most of this thread and i found it tough to figure out what your overall combination actually is. You may want to start over with a new post or thread stating what you have and how fast its going.
There are some smart guys on this forum who definitely know what it takes to go faster. Its easy to get overwhelmed by all the responses though. Perhaps PM somebody so you can stick to one line of advice from one person. I think that based on what your motor is "supposed" to be, you should be faster. I'm used to racing at SIR in Saskatoon and the air is not great there either.
Brian

EDIT : low 6's in the 1/8 is 9.6 ish in the 1/4. Ain't nothing wrong with that !
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:26 am So if you let off the gas early at the end or spin the tires a bit does the CF change?
Wow you appear to be lost.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

CGT wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:03 pm
F-BIRD'88 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:26 am So if you let off the gas early at the end or spin the tires a bit does the CF change?
Wow you appear to be lost.
Hardly.... Been doing this for some 45 years...
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

VegaJohn wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:35 am F-Bird thanks for the advice. I am going to put the 1050 and super victor on. I have also pulled the trigger on buying a pair of 660s and a Holley Pro Dominator and linkage. I may not get in on this season but for sure next. I’m also going to swap my 1.6 exhaust rockers for some 1.5s to try and keep a bit more air in my cylinders. I will freshen the engine after this season. It still cranks 210psi across the board which up here and with a cam that’s too big and compression that’s too low seems pretty stout to me.
I'd never talk you out of a tunnel ram, especially the Holley Pro Dominator, as that's my favorite as cast TR manifold, but I'd damn sure like to talk you out of those obsolete 660's. I know the hate will fly but those things were useless by the mid 1980's and that is being kind to them. Sell them to someone who is pining away for the glory days and call someone like Mark Whitener and see what he says. Who knows, he may tell you I'm an idiot and the 660 is the best thing going. I doubt that, but I've seen way worse happen.

Someone like Mark can fix you up with a pair of carbs that will embarrass those 660's...at least I think he can. He may tell you something other than what I've said and I don't speak for him. So ask him and do what he says.

I had a pair that were new in the box and and I couldn't give them away. They went to the scrap guy.
VegaJohn

Post by VegaJohn »

ClassAct wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:13 pm
VegaJohn wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:35 am F-Bird thanks for the advice. I am going to put the 1050 and super victor on. I have also pulled the trigger on buying a pair of 660s and a Holley Pro Dominator and linkage. I may not get in on this season but for sure next. I’m also going to swap my 1.6 exhaust rockers for some 1.5s to try and keep a bit more air in my cylinders. I will freshen the engine after this season. It still cranks 210psi across the board which up here and with a cam that’s too big and compression that’s too low seems pretty stout to me.
I'd never talk you out of a tunnel ram, especially the Holley Pro Dominator, as that's my favorite as cast TR manifold, but I'd damn sure like to talk you out of those obsolete 660's. I know the hate will fly but those things were useless by the mid 1980's and that is being kind to them. Sell them to someone who is pining away for the glory days and call someone like Mark Whitener and see what he says. Who knows, he may tell you I'm an idiot and the 660 is the best thing going. I doubt that, but I've seen way worse happen.

Someone like Mark can fix you up with a pair of carbs that will embarrass those 660's...at least I think he can. He may tell you something other than what I've said and I don't speak for him. So ask him and do what he says.

I had a pair that were new in the box and and I couldn't give them away. They went to the scrap guy.
If Joe Sherman was still here he would say otherwise. I’m going to try them. Maybe I’ll end up with a couple 750hps eventually. This is just a bracket race car. I have no one to beat and my wallet doesn’t allow me to call for custom carb etc
VegaJohn

Post by VegaJohn »

prairiehotrodder wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:33 am Where do you race ? Edmonton ?

Cool little vega you have. I read through most of this thread and i found it tough to figure out what your overall combination actually is. You may want to start over with a new post or thread stating what you have and how fast its going.
There are some smart guys on this forum who definitely know what it takes to go faster. Its easy to get overwhelmed by all the responses though. Perhaps PM somebody so you can stick to one line of advice from one person. I think that based on what your motor is "supposed" to be, you should be faster. I'm used to racing at SIR in Saskatoon and the air is not great there either.
Brian

EDIT : low 6's in the 1/8 is 9.6 ish in the 1/4. Ain't nothing wrong with that !
I race at Rimbey. It’s in central Alberta we have an awesome all concrete 1/8th mile. My Vega came from Saskatoon. A fellow name Len Bergen raced there with it. I brought it out here 3 or 4 years ago. It was a 10.5 second car out there with a 355 in it. I’ve had a 388 and this 412 in it since then. I’ve been following your build for awhile.
VegaJohn

Post by VegaJohn »

ClassAct can I ask about plenum volume on the pro dominator for my application? Do you think I will need a spacer in the plenum and under each carb? I was thinking a half inch spacer in both spots. I was trying to scour the net for info. All I could find was that the plenum is a bit small for engines around 400 cubes and larger.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Joe Sherman's rule of thumb on this for TR's
Small carbs (660's) want more plenum and or carb height.
Big carbs (2x dominators) will want carbs closer to runners (height) and or lesser volume.
Season to taste.....
Changing the carbs height is not exactly the same as changing the plenums volume.
Thats why I like the removable plenum top.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

VegaJohn wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:25 pm
prairiehotrodder wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:33 am Where do you race ? Edmonton ?

Brian

I race at Rimbey. It’s in central Alberta we have an awesome all concrete 1/8th mile. My Vega came from Saskatoon. A fellow name Len Bergen raced there with it. I brought it out here 3 or 4 years ago. It was a 10.5 second car out there with a 355 in it. I’ve had a 388 and this 412 in it since then. I’ve been following your build for awhile.
Me too. A cool BBC car now with a tunnel ram.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

VegaJohn wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:22 pm
ClassAct wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:13 pm

If Joe Sherman was still here he would say otherwise. I’m going to try them. Maybe I’ll end up with a couple 750hps eventually. This is just a bracket race car. I have no one to beat and my wallet doesn’t allow me to call for custom carb etc
He might have liked them but all of his builds had either twin BG's, twin or single dominators.
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/projec ... ck-hybrid/
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hdrp-06 ... emon_carbs
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-10 ... evy-heads/
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!