Building a Chevy 427 by scratch

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Harleyboy14
Re: Building a Chevy 427 by scratch

Post by Harleyboy14 »

Newold1 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:37 pm Nice input Schurkey and MadBill. Nice of you Harleyboy 14 to pay attention to the input these guys are sharing with you and to take your time to do it right! Wise men never stop learning or listening.
The help from you guys is greatly appreciated. It's been over 20 years since my last full engine build.

Thanks for putting up with me........
CharlieB53
Pro
Pro

Post by CharlieB53 »

Harleyboy14 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:59 pm That was a picture of rings in the bore after I fitted them.
Thank You!

I thought my eyes were deceiving me!

Now, how are the clearances in those lifter bores and the roller lifters you are using? I want to do this to my bored out 396 on her next go round. And 'notch' the intake side of the cyl's.
Harleyboy14

Post by Harleyboy14 »

CharlieB53 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:19 pm
Harleyboy14 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:59 pm That was a picture of rings in the bore after I fitted them.
Thank You!

I thought my eyes were deceiving me!

Now, how are the clearances in those lifter bores and the roller lifters you are using? I want to do this to my bored out 396 on her next go round. And 'notch' the intake side of the cyl's.
I used Howards Retro-Fit Maximum Effort Hydraulic Rollers Lifters. There Tech guy Eric was great help to me. Give him a call.
Harleyboy14

Post by Harleyboy14 »

Update on engine build. Got so busy forgot to take pictures of engine swap. He brought me the car and told me he wanted to upgrade to a Vintage Air sure fit ac system. The car was a factory ac car missing most of the parts. So here we go..... I found this to be a job. As you can see from pictures all the pulleys change and all new brackets. Yes, you have to remove the right hand fender to remove the old evaporator box and repaint firewall. All that's lacking is hose lines and condenser. Sorry to get off subject of build.

The carburetor we installed is a brand new Holly 780 Street Avenger. The distributor used is a MSD Pro-Billet #8360 ready to run type. Most of all thanks to you guys this engine turned out great. Runs and sounds very healthy for a pump gas engine.

Thanks Again,
Art
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dwilliams
Guru
Guru
Post by dwilliams »

Dave Koehler wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:27 pmThe original purpose of the bleed holes was to take care of an air lock at that end of the lifter channel.
If I remember right, solid lifter engines didn't always get the bleed holes.
Harleyboy14

Post by Harleyboy14 »

Need some help on this question. The 427 has ''Lazy return to idle after rev''. I'm doing this with car in neutral sitting still and my hand on carb throttle.
Return just lagging Not Snappy.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Only two possibilities I can think of: either a heavy flywheel or a slight bind in the throttle shaft. (possibly the secondary, since presumably you are pulling the primary closed rather than just letting the return spring do the job)
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
treyrags
Pro
Pro

Post by treyrags »

Distributor advance weights sticky?
Casper393W
Pro
Pro

Post by Casper393W »

treyrags wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:32 am Distributor advance weights sticky?
MadBill wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:12 am Only two possibilities I can think of: either a heavy flywheel or a slight bind in the throttle shaft. (possibly the secondary, since presumably you are pulling the primary closed rather than just letting the return spring do the job)
Either of these is most likely the cause!
Harleyboy14

Post by Harleyboy14 »

Casper393W wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:15 am
treyrags wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:32 am Distributor advance weights sticky?
MadBill wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:12 am Only two possibilities I can think of: either a heavy flywheel or a slight bind in the throttle shaft. (possibly the secondary, since presumably you are pulling the primary closed rather than just letting the return spring do the job)
Either of these is most likely the cause!
I'll check this out...Thank You...
tjz450

Post by tjz450 »

Low speed or idle circuit too rich?