Cam shaft core materials

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

CamKing
Guru
Guru

Re: Cam shaft core materials

Post by CamKing »

MadBill wrote: It was a uniform medium grey everywhere except the lobe and journal surfaces.
That's not an 8620 core.
Sounds like a EPC induction hardened core. They're not the best, but they're the cheapest.
Most SBC cams that break, break between the last 2 journals.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

la360 wrote:A little off my original topic, how much material is typically left on the lobes prior to grinding? I'm going to reverse engineer a camshaft I have to produce a few cores.
When we're making cores, and we know the exact lobe shape we're going to finish them to, we machine them .020" a side, oversized.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

jdperform wrote: Question here for Cam King. Does it hurt to have a larger cam barrel than the base circle as long as proper heat treating has been attained? Other than cosmetics and generous radiuses are employed.
If you grind into the core, you now have sharp edges ground into the core, from the edge of the grinding wheel. I don't know if that's worse than the small barrel, but it can't be much better.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

englertracing wrote:
CamKing wrote:8620
S7
M3

In 99% of roller applications, 8620 is the best way to go.
what are the pros and cons of these materials in this application
What's the exact application?
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

DaveMcLain wrote:
jdperform wrote:In 30 years of this business I have had about 8 or 10 SBC cams break in front of #8 ex lobe. Mostly small barrel stuff. All but 1 was advertised as having been made of 8620. The other being induction hardened.

Question here for Cam King. Does it hurt to have a larger cam barrel than the base circle as long as proper heat treating has been attained? Other than cosmetics and generous radiuses are employed.
The reason the barrel is cut down smaller than the base circle is to keep the camshaft straight because it distributes the residual stresses evenly.
Actually, all cams bend when you grind them. especially heat treated steel cams. The grinding process seems to act like a stress relief, and they want to go back to where they were before they were straightened. That's why we rough them to .005" over finish size, pul the cam out of the grinder, straighten it, and put it back in and finish grind the final .005".
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

CamKing wrote:
DaveMcLain wrote:
jdperform wrote:In 30 years of this business I have had about 8 or 10 SBC cams break in front of #8 ex lobe. Mostly small barrel stuff. All but 1 was advertised as having been made of 8620. The other being induction hardened.

Question here for Cam King. Does it hurt to have a larger cam barrel than the base circle as long as proper heat treating has been attained? Other than cosmetics and generous radiuses are employed.
The reason the barrel is cut down smaller than the base circle is to keep the camshaft straight because it distributes the residual stresses evenly.
Actually, all cams bend when you grind them. especially heat treated steel cams. The grinding process seems to act like a stress relief, and they want to go back to where they were before they were straightened. That's why we rough them to .005" over finish size, pul the cam out of the grinder, straighten it, and put it back in and finish grind the final .005".
Of course, they don't do that with the mass-produced cams. :wink:
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

CamKing wrote:
DaveMcLain wrote:

I wonder if vibratory stress relief would be useful re this? http://www.meta-lax.com/Home/Technology/technology.html
FWIW, my 45 year old aluminum BBC heads were warped ~ 0.008" when I checked them after larger interlocking seats were installed. I had them treated and when I later measured, the warpage was down to 0.002-0.003"...
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
la360
Expert
Expert

Post by la360 »

The tool steel cores are induction hardened? Or is the core still left soft?
Alan Jones

It's Ok to disagree, just don't be disagreeable!
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

la360 wrote:The tool steel cores are induction hardened? Or is the core still left soft?
The 9310 cores we make are carborized like the 8620 cores.
Our M3 cores are actually thru-hardened
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

CamKing wrote:
englertracing wrote:
CamKing wrote:8620
S7
M3

In 99% of roller applications, 8620 is the best way to go.
what are the pros and cons of these materials in this application
What's the exact application?
Say in a sbc roller
BBO Omega

Post by BBO Omega »

Mike,
Do you offer the 8620 core with the Cast Dist Gear?
73 Omega, 468 BBO, 4.185 ICON Pistons,RR/Wenzler Heads with HS 1.7 rockers and PAC 1220X Springs,J&S 5-main Halo with Billet Caps, .590I .580E 242I 256E HR Cam, 1000hp Carb,2" x 3 1/2" headers,Coan 2900rpm Conv.,TH400,3.73 12 bolt,11.32/118
Rick Finsta
Pro
Pro

Post by Rick Finsta »

Last I asked he didn't have any for the Olds. I want one for my turbo project and have been looking around for a Crane core like that for some time. They haven't made them in years.

I will probably end up just using bronze since I'm only driving a cam sensor (external oil pump) but when I was entertaining running a Titan I didn't want to mess with the bronze.
Mike Gallo, President
Protohawk - Design/Prototyping, Small Project Support, and Contract Manufacturing
CCA Racing Products - Torque Plates and Engine Rebuild Tooling
BBO Omega

Post by BBO Omega »

Andy had my HR cam ground on one of those cores by Crane a few years ago. I like not having to worry about the Dist Gear. When I pull the engine this winter to have my Converter restalled, and do a lower end check, I was thinking of going with a little larger cam. I speced my cam with 10.6cr and ended up at 11.59cr due to a misunderstanding between me and my Head guy [I said knock off 10. I meant .010" and he heard 10cc].
73 Omega, 468 BBO, 4.185 ICON Pistons,RR/Wenzler Heads with HS 1.7 rockers and PAC 1220X Springs,J&S 5-main Halo with Billet Caps, .590I .580E 242I 256E HR Cam, 1000hp Carb,2" x 3 1/2" headers,Coan 2900rpm Conv.,TH400,3.73 12 bolt,11.32/118
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

BBO Omega wrote:Mike,
Yes
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
BBO Omega

Post by BBO Omega »

CamKing wrote:
BBO Omega wrote:Mike,
Yes
For an Oldsmobile?