Moderator: Team

midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Re: 8.1 inch rod in stock block/stroke 350 and -----

Post by midnightbluS10 »

blykins wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:17 pm
midnightbluS10 wrote:
blykins wrote:Why can't I help for free?

I post on 5-6 different forums and run my own 351 Cleveland forum. I help people day and night by taking phone calls, texts, and emails while running my own business that I don't go out of way to advertise on Speed Talk.

As far as I am concerned, speed talk is not anyone's personal advertising venue.
We get that you don't agree with it. Voicing that every time he comes to post isn't going to do anything but make you look like an asshole. FYI.
I'm not the only one. Figure out why.

FYI.
No thanks. My panties don't get in a bunch every time someone mentions David Vizard. Multiple people don't agree? Great. That's their prerogative. Do they bring it up every time his name is mentioned like you do? Are they disrespectful assholes about it like you are?

Still, I don't give a shit. It doesn't bother me a bit. I've got much more important things to put my energy into rather than trying to tear down David Vizard. Getting worked up like you do over someone's presentation is hilarious, though.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
blykins
Guru
Guru

Post by blykins »

midnightbluS10 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:24 am
blykins wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:17 pm
midnightbluS10 wrote:
We get that you don't agree with it. Voicing that every time he comes to post isn't going to do anything but make you look like an asshole. FYI.
I'm not the only one. Figure out why.

FYI.
No thanks. My panties don't get in a bunch every time someone mentions David Vizard. Multiple people don't agree? Great. That's their prerogative. Do they bring it up every time his name is mentioned like you do? Are they disrespectful assholes about it like you are?

Still, I don't give a shit. It doesn't bother me a bit. I've got much more important things to put my energy into rather than trying to tear down David Vizard. Getting worked up like you do over someone's presentation is hilarious, though.
Go calm down, dude. Sounds like your drawers are wadded up too.
Lykins Motorsports
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
Custom Ford Windsor, Cleveland, and FE Street/Race Engines
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

ptuomov wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:58 pm My personal opinion: I think this question about super-long rod and negative compression height forces many people out of their comfort zones, which then forces thinking things up from first principles. I can't see this either winning races (unless someone really screwed up the rule book!) or selling parts, so commercial motivations aren't probably underlying the thread. Finally, reading and responding are both completely voluntary activities -- this thread isn't for everyone, and needs not be for everyone.

First day back in my office after my Australia seminar trip. Just in-case one or two of you want to know - it was a smash hit.

I have spent the last hour carefully reading through posts on this thread. Most responses were no where near the right answer and some were very critical of me posting in the first place.

Read the post above. I think ptuomov is on target - especially with the 'This site is about entertainment and education. I think a thread with a welded-up super-long SBC rod and an interesting technical question kind of serves both functions, for me at least.' comment.

As for the rest of the post that is pretty much spot on as well.

I thought this an interesting post because of the unusual nature of the geometry. After I have answered a few more posts I will explain what this is all about. I would also ask for my critics tell whether or not they learned something after I have explained all.
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

I, for one, am always curious to see what you've got up your sleeve.
plovett
Expert
Expert

Post by plovett »

And the informercial will continue after this break......
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

David i have seen something like this in oil and gas industry where half of v8 runs the engine and the other bank four rods like shown run a compressor built on top of bank. Most of the ones ive seen are built off ford 460. This may not be it but have seen setups similar. The top of one bank incorporates a thick plate where piston protrudes up into to compress gas. Thus the longer rod.
John Wallace
Guru
Guru

Post by John Wallace »

Or use 4 cyl/rods to supercharge the other 4 cylinders?

:)
John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Before you know it we will have some crazy guy running 2" head gasket so he can drop the chamber down in the bore...this out of the box thinking will never win competitions like EMC. :D
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
user-612937456

Post by user-612937456 »

Steve.k wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:05 pm David i have seen something like this in oil and gas industry where half of v8 runs the engine and the other bank four rods like shown run a compressor built on top of bank. Most of the ones ive seen are built off ford 460. This may not be it but have seen setups similar. The top of one bank incorporates a thick plate where piston protrudes up into to compress gas. Thus the longer rod.
I worked on to flathead Ford V8 with that same principle used the zinc mines to run air drills
Tom Walker
Pro
Pro

Post by Tom Walker »

I was just looking at the Jon Kaase entry that he won with this week. Just an incredible amount of work and engineering. Truly impressive! My wife became very sick and I was not able to attend, looks like it was a fantastic show!
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Tom Walker wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:13 pm I was just looking at the Jon Kaase entry that he won with this week. Just an incredible amount of work and engineering. Truly impressive! My wife became very sick and I was not able to attend, looks like it was a fantastic show!
Yes he is a very crafty dude! I would like to see less restraint of the rules and more of his out of the box approach in these kind of competitions.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

blykins wrote:-

There are 3 types of users on Speed Talk:
1. Those needing help.
2. Those helping the ones who need it.
3. Those who want to advertise and gain from it.

I see plenty of guys here who have their credentials in their signature lines, but only purpose themselves to help others.

To add to this, I'm not disrespecting anyone. I'm just wondering why Speed Talk has become a major advertising venue for some and why some threads have to have cliffhangers. I'm not the only one wondering about this.....

Taking this one at a time here is where I stand:-

1. Those needing help. I fall into this category
2. Those helping the ones who need it. I fall into this category
3. Those who want to advertise and gain from it. I fall into this category

Mr. blykins sir,

Please understand that almost anything I post can, to a greater or lesser degree look like a plug. If someone answers a question with a comment along the lines of 'the precise answer is on page 14 of DV's book on ******* they are coming up with an answer from which they do not benifit. If I say exactly the same - well we all know what happens then.

The data that I come up with to write a book involves quite a substantial budget. The two BBC books I did took an investment of over $100,000 to do. That is a lot of money to gamble on a best seller. When I see a poster asking a question and they continually get a load of wrong or indifferent answers should I just leave them be to suffer the consequences of this mis-information or speak up.

Virtually all my engine building is to produce accurate (note the use of the word 'accurate') data. It is the sale of this data that I make my living on. In your business you go one step further and put what you have learned into the build of an engine. At this point you sell the engine. I don't expect you to give away your engines any more so than I should give away data that cost me a lot of hard cash to generate. And as it happens I do give much away.

I should point out that each person who buys one of my books pays a very small portion of the total R&D bill. However if I totalled all the books that ever got sold by virtue of my ST 'advertising' I might just have enough money to do a short block build. That represents didley squat in the grand scheme of things but even so with all the time I spend giving good, dyno proven advice (as apposed to an opinion) I still get flack. As I remember it I had absolutely zero negative comments when I advertised a new N2O kit - for free.

I have this seven different specs of cylinder heads on a 347 test coming up. The build of this engine was soley to investigate the cost per hp of such a build. When done I have no further need for that engine.

To do these tests Charlie Carnut 1 has ported three sets for me. I have also ported 3 sets. One of these sets of heads was not for the actual testing but to trade for a set of used GT40 heads. So just in the interest of doing my book ‘right’ I traded a brand new set of big valve DV ported heads for a set of used GT 40 heads.

Also you may remember that I had a discussion on the ‘2 heads are better than one’ post with ‘jcisworthy’ as to who would cover the cost of dyno testing his heads, me or him. Well when I got the heads they did so well on the flow bench that I elected to carry the cost of dyno testing myself. While I am doing this somewhat expensive series of tests there are ST posters out there begrudging me the sales of, at best, a couple of dozen books.

I can do one of three things when this test is done.

1) Keep the results entirely to myself and have them remain unpublished.
2) Use the results in detail only in my book (damn it there goes another book plug)
3) Give a brief but functional report in ST and mention that the detailed results are in my book for anyone who wants such.

Please give me the number, one, two or three, that serves the typical ST poster best.

As far as cliff hangers are concerned that is intended to be of entertainment value. Let’s face it we are all in the performance business because it has a much greater entertainment value than almost any other profession out there. If you don’t like cliff hangers then please just don’t respond.

DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

blykins wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:10 am I came up with a camshaft formula yesterday that works wonders. It only applies to Buick Nailheads with 125A alternators and Felpro oil pan gaskets, but after I get back from my stint in Finland for 6 weeks, I'll fill you in on it. Until I get back, feel free to talk about it for 25 pages so that the thread gets max coverage.
Really, do you have even a few hundred dyno tests to prove it?
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

rfoll wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:38 am I believe the purpose of the cliffhanger was to stir up thoughts on the mechanical dilemma. The persons who posted solutions make this thread interesting. I think if someone figured it out we wouldn't have several pages of complaining about the authors motives. I'm still waiting for the engineering solution. I'm here for the science and mechanics. It's hard to believe he's stumped us all.
Well thank you rfoll for having an inquiring mind and a sense of humor.
DV
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

Drum roll................................................
So much to do, so little time...