Holley Power Valve?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

88bluestar
Pro
Pro
Holley Power Valve?

Post by 88bluestar »

On a 750 DP Holley with 850 base. Is it possible to plug off the primary side on a race engine?
turbo2256b
Pro
Pro
Re: Holley Power Valve?

Post by turbo2256b »

there are power valve plugs. I often use them to help figure out jet sizes and power valve restriction sizes for best power yet retain fuel economy.
Plug it and you will need to go up about 6 to 10 jet sizes
88bluestar
Pro
Pro

Post by 88bluestar »

I have 74's now but plan to plug it and start with 80's and go from there.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Just understand that it's the Jets that do the what's called the cruse range of throttle opening and the power valve restriction channel does the full throttle / max air flow metering.

Unless for race usage you motor leaves at within 1000 rpm of being in its power range I have never found that blocking the primary side helps at all, as very few motors rev instantaneously!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
turbo2256b
Pro
Pro

Post by turbo2256b »

mag2555 wrote:Just understand that it's the Jets that do the what's called the cruse range of throttle opening and the power valve restriction channel does the full throttle / max air flow metering.

Unless for race usage you motor leaves at within 1000 rpm of being in its power range I have never found that blocking the primary side helps at all, as very few motors rev instantaneously!

+1
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

Plug it....you can easily tune the carb to run well without it and it's one less thing to go wrong....you don't need it on a race engine anyway....

The power valve circuit only provides additional fuel under low vacuum conditions. The main jets provide the metered fuel for main circuit operation. If you have a low vacuum engine, the power valve will likely be open unless it's rated for very low vacuum. I think the lowest they go is 2.5. If I was to run one on my junk, it would be open all the time....I barely have 2" at idle.....by removing the valve all you need to do is increase jet size to compensate. This will have little effect on fuel economy since you're generally not running on the mains during part throttle operation, you're running on the idle and transfer slots.....
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

mag2555 wrote:Just understand that it's the Jets that do the what's called the cruse range of throttle opening and the power valve restriction channel does the full throttle / max air flow metering. **This is incorrect. The power valve is an enrichment device and opens when manifold vacuum drops below it's set point. It will close again when the vacuum signal goes back above it. The main jets provide the metered fuel anytime that circuit is active.**

Unless for race usage you motor leaves at within 1000 rpm of being in its power range I have never found that blocking the primary side helps at all, as very few motors rev instantaneously! **You will never see a difference by blocking the power valve. If it's set up right, the valve will be open at this point already. If you remove it, you compensate for the added fuel by going up in jet size.
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
Firedome8
Guru
Guru

Post by Firedome8 »

88bluestar wrote:I have 74's now but plan to plug it and start with 80's and go from there.
Tune with and with out Pv ,,, and compare results,,,you should have changeable Pv restrictions. I personally use a powervalve in the applications I tune . what vacuum does the engine have in the return lane Or during a yellow flag ?
A good test is worth a thousand opinions.
Smokey
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Could someone explain to me why it is that on the Holley site they list not one Dominator Carb that does not come with a primary power valve, could it be that the maker / designers off these Carbs know more then some here posting?
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
turbo2256b
Pro
Pro

Post by turbo2256b »

Tend to use the Quick Fuel power valves as they are capable of flowing more fuel. I have never ditched a power valve in the primary a few instances in the rear. One thing I ponder from time to time is does an engine need 12.7ish AF ratio instantly when floored as FI can do or does the engine do best if the AF ratio as needed increases to 12.7 ish as a carb will do under wot. How about a large single throttle blade opening compare to several smaller ones at wot.
levisnteeshirt
Guru
Guru

Post by levisnteeshirt »

A power valve helps response ,, it also richens the idle circuit , some don't believe it ,, it does , not up for an argument
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

levisnteeshirt wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:44 pm A power valve helps response ,, it also richens the idle circuit , some don't believe it ,, it does , not up for an argument
IF the carb is set up and working correctly it will not have any affect on idle AFR. The video below is a 750, one of a pair set up for external boost referenced on the primary and secondary PV's. The video CLEARLY shows the O2 readings are unaffected when opening or closing the PV at idle. A test was also done at a higher RPM when the boosters were active and O2's are affected as the PV is intended to operate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlp-Q_3 ... e=youtu.be
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

jmarkaudio wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:47 am
levisnteeshirt wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:44 pm A power valve helps response ,, it also richens the idle circuit , some don't believe it ,, it does , not up for an argument
IF the carb is set up and working correctly it will not have any affect on idle AFR. The video below is a 750, one of a pair set up for external boost referenced on the primary and secondary PV's. The video CLEARLY shows the O2 readings are unaffected when opening or closing the PV at idle. A test was also done at a higher RPM when the boosters were active and O2's are affected as the PV is intended to operate.

would this also be true if the idle transfer slot was open too far ???
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

If the butterflies are open too far to get it to idle then the carb isn't set up correctly, timing isn't correct for the engine, cam timing is off... something is wrong.
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
My427stang
Expert
Expert

Post by My427stang »

jmarkaudio wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:47 am

Good example, agree completely, only 2 ways a PV can affect idle

- Bad/leaking PV
- Airflow across boosters at idle due to incorrectly adjusted carb
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
Plattsmouth, NE
70 Mustang, 489 FE, TKO-600, Massflo SEFI, 4.11s
71 F100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, 4 speed, port injected EFI, 3.50s