***Post Pics of what you are working on**

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Dutchman

Re: ***Post Pics of what you are working on**

Post by Dutchman »

rfoll wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:11 am
GARY C wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:19 am
rfoll wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:05 pm The center spun on the tubes. There were only about 3 threads engaged on the front tube on the driver side. When you adjust the bars, you don't know how much thread engagement is there. It never occurred to me to check it, the equipment is designed for the application. I suspect I need 1" longer tubes. It felt like the mother of all launches, 50 degrees, dry air, and sea level barometer, until it broke 3 lengths out.
Yeah that would be scary, the rear on the car I posted in the vid had to have the rear replaced once in about 8 years due to distortion but the tubes were not welded to the center section beyond what was done from the factory. I have seen where guys will drill the cast center section and do more plug welds, some feel that trying to weld around them will cause a weak point...Consult a professional! :D
I wondered about welding the outer edge of the center, you share my concerns.
I have welded many tubes to the center sections, I either use nirod with the flux removed then glass beaded and tig weld or ni-99 and tig weld as well. Keep the heat within reason not to create porosity with the casting and drawing out lube from housing /tube slip fit.The rear has to be straightened afterwards with a correct fixture.
Never had a failure after, usually another weak link shows its head,most commonly the tubes bend and the rear takes a banana shape.
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

Jim
amcenthusiast
Pro
Pro

Post by amcenthusiast »

Building a mid-engined '69 AMC Rebel using '65 'test mule' Rambler 327 V8 for trial fit.

The engine mounts are made to allow the engine to drop out from underneath, to resist rotational forces of inertia and to make space for a custom designed 180 degree style under-the-oil pan header system.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
YouTube video of 443 XRV8 Gremlin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DmFOKRuzUc
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

77cruiser wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:03 pm Here's one way to do it.

http://nastyz28.com/threads/how-to-weld ... olt.18890/
It would be great if starting from scratch just to key or spline the tube and housing then press in place.
Craig.
amcenthusiast
Pro
Pro

Post by amcenthusiast »

What's new? Posting my latest invention in public for proof of ownership/intellectual property.

XRV8 Race Parts: '66-'91 AM V8 Anti-Vortex Pickup Tube

XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
YouTube video of 443 XRV8 Gremlin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DmFOKRuzUc
Sparksalot

Post by Sparksalot »

Interesting but why?

The truth is real world high performance piston engines have used dry sumps from the early days of aviation. Back then aviation was way in front of automotive piston engine technology. The brilliant aero engine builders were hiring aerodynamic experts in the 1920's to improve their products by flowing more air. The engines they designed in the 1930 decade took us through WWII, they were geniuses. Turbo superchargers are older than I am.

Overhead cam four valve engines were old a century ago.

Endless discussions happen on this site and it's fun to read through them. However it seems many are ignorant of history. Knowing how we arrived where we are is a giant advantage.

Now, you can buy a car with the technology developed over eighty years ago for aviation and polished by many decades of experience.

A jet one, not so much.
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

I built "anti vortex" inlet pipes for my turbos quite a few years ago.

Night and day difference to the spool up.

While I was looking for that photo, found this.
272 / Rajay / weber DCOE / CNG from about '84ish.
I'm still working on it on and off (still got the car) but the 272 has gone.
In '88 it got replaced with a 351C which I've still got too.
I was actually working on the 351 today but it's NOT going back in the car, it's too heavy. It'll never make as much power as a smaller turbo japper....lol.

turdwilly
Pro
Pro

Post by turdwilly »

GARY C wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:31 pm
rfoll wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:47 pm PICT0351.JPGPICT0352.JPGI haven't started working on this yet, but I need to somehow get it off the trailer. The pinion yoke is up against the floor board. The welds broke and the threads pulled on the CalTrac bar. It looks like the stock drive shaft is toast. I needed to upgrade these parts, looks like I waited too long.
Thats why I went to a pinion snubber and just used my Cal Tracks to adjust left and right as needed, they will still bend over time but you can catch it.
This car is leaving on the snubber.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RgKOCo0GhU
Do you know the make up of the exhaust on this thing? Sounds wicked good!
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

turdwilly wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:16 am
GARY C wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:31 pm
rfoll wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:47 pm PICT0351.JPGPICT0352.JPGI haven't started working on this yet, but I need to somehow get it off the trailer. The pinion yoke is up against the floor board. The welds broke and the threads pulled on the CalTrac bar. It looks like the stock drive shaft is toast. I needed to upgrade these parts, looks like I waited too long.
Thats why I went to a pinion snubber and just used my Cal Tracks to adjust left and right as needed, they will still bend over time but you can catch it.
This car is leaving on the snubber.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RgKOCo0GhU
Do you know the make up of the exhaust on this thing? Sounds wicked good!
Yes it's 3.5 all the way through the X pipe tapered down to a 3" dynomax straight through muffler this is without the 3" tail pipes but with or without tail pipes it ran the same. It was a 1.7/8 hooker header with a 3.5 collector.
We had to build our own 3.5 X pipe.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
turdwilly
Pro
Pro

Post by turdwilly »

Thanks Gary. Good to hear (no pun intended) as that is very similar to the exhaust we are planning to run on my friend's pump gas street car for which I did the engine. It will have 1-7/8" headers & 3" exhaust with x-pipe & large-body dynomax ultraflo welded mufflers near the rear valance, with only short tips attached to the muffler outlets. Due to very limited ground clearance we didn't have room to mount the mufflers in the conventional location forward of the axle, which was fine with me as I prefer the smoother exhaust note similar to the car in your video as opposed to the more pulsed/pop sound that tailpipes give.
Last edited by turdwilly on Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

I tried straight pipes with cheep bullets against X pipe with no type of muffler to adding muffler to adding tail pipes with the 377 and nitrous no difference in et or mph, in the vid it is running a 421 flat top with AFR 227 pre eliminator and Scott the guy that bought the car from me thought the tail pipes were a restriction but it made no difference.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
turdwilly
Pro
Pro

Post by turdwilly »

The engine in this car is a 427 SBF but only 10.5:1 for pump gas. So the displacement is close as well, hoping that will give it a similar sound to your Nova even though we won't be at your power level.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

turdwilly wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:27 pm The engine in this car is a 427 SBF but only 10.5:1 for pump gas. So the displacement is close as well, hoping that will give it a similar sound to your Nova even though we won't be at your power level.
The sound comes from the X pipe... I had a 306 SBC in the car and people swore I was doing 10,000 rpm burn out they were about 5,000 rpm off!
It ran like 7.60 straight motor and 6.15 at 114 on a 300 shot with the 306.
I don't know if you remember when Sterlin Marlin first ran an X pipe at Daytona but all the competitors protested that he was running illegal but he wasn't.
Dr. Gas was the one that started this if I recall.
https://www.bing.com/search?q=dr+gas+x+ ... orm=MOZSBR
Please Note!
turdwilly
Pro
Pro

Post by turdwilly »

I remember when everyone was running the 180* headers at the plate tracks a couple decades ago. That was definitely a different sound.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

turdwilly wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:50 pm I remember when everyone was running the 180* headers at the plate tracks a couple decades ago. That was definitely a different sound.
Thats what he was accused of, NASCAR inspected it and said no it's just the way they ran their exhaust, the next year almost everyone had X pipes at the plate tracks.

Thats where I got the idea from.
Please Note!