SBC Hydraulic Retrofit Roller lifter

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Prostreetbike
SBC Hydraulic Retrofit Roller lifter

Post by Prostreetbike »

Does anyone besides Morel make a .750 wheel hydraulic retrofit style roller lifter for a SBC ? When I am looking up roller lifters most of the descriptions do not tell you what size wheel they have so I assume they are .700. I know the Morels are good, but man they are pricey..
mark_follweiler
Re: SBC Hydraulic Retrofit Roller lifter

Post by mark_follweiler »

just go solid and be done with it.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

Have you looked at Howard's?
I have used some of there lifters and had no issues. It also depends on what type of lifter you want as well.
Do you want a std hyd lifter with a 1/2 to 3/4 turn preload or do you want a short travel lifter.
Johnson has some nice lifters in the short travel type as well. But any of the real race type lifters are going to be costly. Thats cause you get what you pay for :D in a quality lifter.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Prostreetbike

Post by Prostreetbike »

I understand quality cost, and the 4602's would be no problem if I had a NASCAR sized budget...LOL
I purchased my first set of Morel 4602 lifters for 500.00 and I thought that was hard to justify but man these days they are so high that to be truthful it would not take much more and they would cost more than my block... LOL
Please take no offense, I do believe that Morel's are probably the best, I just don't think this engine is worth the investment.
Does the Comps new short travel lifters have the .750 wheel ? I shot them an email but they have not responded yet.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

The comp short travel lifters are made by Shaver specialities in the USA. I've used a few sets of the BBC retrofit lifters. They had a .750" roller and so far so good. Randy Malik turned me on to them, he's had good experience with them too.

One note however, Mike Jones, (who I use for many cams), wasn't so enthusiastic about them.

There is also the Gaterman lifter sold by Howard's and others. It's an offshore manufactured lifter. I've never used those, but some builders do and have had good experience.

Also, If the cam isn't too wild, a .700" roller is just fine.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o