Broken rod bolt

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

1972ho
Guru
Guru
Broken rod bolt

Post by 1972ho »

Just to double check with you expert this looks to me like the capscrew rod bolt and caused this to fail.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
redliner
Expert
Expert
Re: Broken rod bolt

Post by redliner »

What rods... what bolts?
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

Remove the other rod bolts.
Measure the necked down diameter of the bolt.
Compare to new rod bolts or mfg specs.

If any are undersize, they are on the way to failure.
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

ARP bolts and eagle rod.
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

Notice how the rod is blue? That means the bearing went away first. Cause and effect. The bearing going away caused the rod bolt to break, its that simple. Fix your oiling issue, and learn to read the signs that I am near certain the engine was screaming to you, and you would avoid those results. Sorry for your loss, but it wasn't what you think it was.
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

Frank shaft nailed it.

Fix your oiling issues.
bigmike

Post by bigmike »

Looks to me like bearing went away 1st.
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

I had no running oil issue and I could hear no rod knocking are any unusual engine noise.Ive been running this engine for years and has had the same oil pressure at idle and down track that’s why I was thinking the bolt broke first and bearing journal area darkened I’ll know more when I take the rest of them off.
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Post by racear2865 »

In occurrences that Ive seen in the past, when a rod bolt turns loose, it will be instantaneous failure. The rod WILL NOT have time to turn blue. Per above conversation, the blue came first.
reed
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

1972ho wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:55 am I had no running oil issue and I could hear no rod knocking are any unusual engine noise.Ive been running this engine for years and has had the same oil pressure at idle and down track that’s why I was thinking the bolt broke first and bearing journal area darkened I’ll know more when I take the rest of them off.

It grabbed the bearing.

When you figure out why it did that, you'll have the cause of the apocalypse.
piston guy
Guru
Guru

Post by piston guy »

When a rod bolt breaks the bearing is in perfect condition though a bit wadded up. Like most everybody said it lost the bearing first. As David suggested , the rod bolts "could" be stretching and losing tension and in turn spinning the bearing. A high volume oil pump could have masked the problem at the gauge.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

My SBM looked the same way... blued bearing broke the rod and took out two more rods and four pistons... previous driver used HEAVY weight oil with an STP type additive... didn't warm up the engine on a cool September night... alky engine... three laps KABANG!!!
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Post by racear2865 »

Krooser wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:22 pm My SBM looked the same way... blued bearing broke the rod and took out two more rods and four pistons... previous driver used HEAVY weight oil with an STP type additive... didn't warm up the engine on a cool September night... alky engine... three laps KABANG!!!
Do u think the oil was thick enough.reed
Cubic_Cleveland
Guru
Guru

Post by Cubic_Cleveland »

Too add to the spun bearing theory, this is a Toyota 5L rod that broke a bolt. Zero heat discolouration..
IMG_3190.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

Cubic_Cleveland wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:45 pm Too add to the spun bearing theory, this is a Toyota 5L rod that broke a bolt. Zero heat discolouration..
IMG_3190.jpg
Did the bolt fail first or did the rod break?