Race Engine Challenge II

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Gregory

Race Engine Challenge II

Post by Gregory »

This is the new thread for Race Engine Challenge. Let's keep it on topic - tech ideas for a new engine contest. For those of
you new to this topic, go to the web page for details (www.RaceEngineChallenge.com).
The guiding light for our first contest is an engine for a strong street/strip engine. In 2019 we plan on having two classes.
As stated on the web page the rules will be released at the PRI show.
Now it's your turn.
Greg Finnican
Charlotte, NC
704 408-7356
RAMM
Expert
Expert

Re: Race Engine Challenge II

Post by RAMM »

I've got an idea Greg and its one that will keep this contest on the up and up and also keep the Correction Factor B.S. to a minimum. I suggest displaying for all to see and keep an eye on from the beginning of the contest to the conclusion is the dyno's Torque Co-Efficient Value--mine is currently 470.13 ft/lb / Volt. The Correction Factor does not influence this but the torque arm and weights do. Put this on display for all to see and it will keep everyone honest. J.Rob
New and improved website under construction.Check the blog for relevant info
http://skmfxengines.blogspot.com/
RAMM
Expert
Expert

Post by RAMM »

Also after watching this year's Traditional Muscle Class play out at UNOH I gotta say the rules were quite well thought out by Adger. I would emulate these if you want some seriously scienced out entries. J.Rob
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

RAMM wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:23 am Also after watching this year's Traditional Muscle Class play out at UNOH I gotta say the rules were quite well thought out by Adger. I would emulate these if you want some seriously scienced out entries. J.Rob
Got a link to this??
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
RAMM
Expert
Expert

Post by RAMM »

The rules or the Facebook videos? J.Rob
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

RAMM wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:50 am The rules or the Facebook videos? J.Rob
Both if you have them please?
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
RAMM
Expert
Expert

Post by RAMM »

First link is Facebook-scroll down on left side and click videos-they are all there. J.Rob

https://www.facebook.com/hotrodmag/

http://st.hotrod.com/uploads/sites/21/2 ... 092117.pdf
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

RAMM wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:23 am Also after watching this year's Traditional Muscle Class play out at UNOH I gotta say the rules were quite well thought out by Adger. I would emulate these if you want some seriously scienced out entries. J.Rob
I must say that with just a few changes, I could agree.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

Greg: Some questions that I haven't seen answered are these: To what end is the engine being compared to? Street, Drag Race, Oval Track, Dirt Track, Street Stock, Pure Stock, Super Stock, Stock Eliminator, Road Race, Pro Stock, Naturally Aspirated, Power Adder? Cubic inch limits? Fuel requirements? Highest horsepower, highest torque, or highest average overall? Street headers, race headers, wet sump, dry sump, vacuum pump, just what are the parameters you seek? Is this the latest and greatest parts, or stock parts, or vintage parts? Cost factor limits? Single camshaft, multiple camshafts? Joe-71
Joe-71
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Joe-71 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:27 pm Greg: Some questions that I haven't seen answered are these: To what end is the engine being compared to? Street, Drag Race, Oval Track, Dirt Track, Street Stock, Pure Stock, Super Stock, Stock Eliminator, Road Race, Pro Stock, Naturally Aspirated, Power Adder? Cubic inch limits? Fuel requirements? Highest horsepower, highest torque, or highest average overall? Street headers, race headers, wet sump, dry sump, vacuum pump, just what are the parameters you seek? Is this the latest and greatest parts, or stock parts, or vintage parts? Cost factor limits? Single camshaft, multiple camshafts? Joe-71
Greg has said somewhere in this forum that it will be an advanced street/strip type engine and the contest requirements will be released during the weekend of the PRI show in Indy.

He seems to be looking here to obtain some further ideas about those final rules.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

Having been involved with EMC for three years, I would like to see the rules stipulate that exotic remaking of a part not be acceptable in direct competition with the cast parts such as cylinder heads. Modifications limited to porting, filling, or raising the floors, but not changing the entire port configuration, or adding plates to extend the head into the chambers. I sincerely respect Jon Kaase, but "one-off" experimental changes should be in a class all to themselves and a category for that type of build. Joe-71
Joe-71
RAMM
Expert
Expert

Post by RAMM »

Joe-71 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:20 pm Having been involved with EMC for three years, I would like to see the rules stipulate that exotic remaking of a part not be acceptable in direct competition with the cast parts such as cylinder heads. Modifications limited to porting, filling, or raising the floors, but not changing the entire port configuration, or adding plates to extend the head into the chambers. I sincerely respect Jon Kaase, but "one-off" experimental changes should be in a class all to themselves and a category for that type of build. Joe-71
Strongly disagree. EMC has been a fantastic forum much like a Science Fair from school to truly TRY new things that would otherwise never get tested. I have no problem with the way Jon Kaase thinks because it is well within the rules. J.Rob
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Joe-71 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:20 pm Having been involved with EMC for three years, I would like to see the rules stipulate that exotic remaking of a part not be acceptable in direct competition with the cast parts such as cylinder heads. Modifications limited to porting, filling, or raising the floors, but not changing the entire port configuration, or adding plates to extend the head into the chambers. I sincerely respect Jon Kaase, but "one-off" experimental changes should be in a class all to themselves and a category for that type of build. Joe-71
My comments to Greg were, since these engines are supposed to represent engines that would be built for customers, for street/strip performance, the rules should reflect that. Things like spending $20K on cam development is really not something a street/strip customer is going to pay for, so it shouldn't be part of this competition. I'm sure if someone spent the money to make a manifold that changed runner length as the RPM changed, would have a huge advantage, but it really wouldn't fit the spirit of the competition.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

CamKing wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:16 am
My comments to Greg were, since these engines are supposed to represent engines that would be built for customers, for street/strip performance, the rules should reflect that. Things like spending $20K on cam development is really not something a street/strip customer is going to pay for, so it shouldn't be part of this competition. I'm sure if someone spent the money to make a manifold that changed runner length as the RPM changed, would have a huge advantage, but it really wouldn't fit the spirit of the competition.
How do you think that could be done?
In a competition how do you stop people with money from spending it to win?
Thats why my thought was to build according to a race with class rules like a lower level dirt track class and then have an open class with minimal rules.
There are so many ways to go and someone is not going to agree regardless.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

Money always wins, be it tight rules or none at all.