How much power can I make from 260 CI

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

jet1
Pro
Pro

Re: How much power can I make from 260 CI

Post by jet1 »

I think it will boil down to cost and availability. The Coyote motor ya for sure that would be awesome but getting one cheap then doing the mods would start getting me close to the 4 rotor. The Ford mod motor could be a possibility other than they are huge and pretty heavy. The VQ35 looks to be pretty cheap to find and fairly easy to put some good sleeves in to get some displacement plus being compact and light weight looks pretty good. The GM LS 4.8 is the cheapest and I am most familiar with it but without a 4 valve head boost is going to get up stressing the motor more. Not sure if it would live.
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Boost is just a restriction of air flow. Within reason, the stress is how much hp(cyl pressure) you make, rpm and of course the tune.

It was just a thought :wink:
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
jet1
Pro
Pro

Post by jet1 »

Agreed although in a turbo application the extra restriction also keeps extra heat and pressure in the exhaust side of the engine.
weights that I have found(not verified)
VQ35DE 313lb
Lq4 550lb
mod 4.6 550lb
2jz 500 lb
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

jet1 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:56 pm I think it will boil down to cost and availability. The Coyote motor ya for sure that would be awesome but getting one cheap then doing the mods would start getting me close to the 4 rotor. The Ford mod motor could be a possibility other than they are huge and pretty heavy. The VQ35 looks to be pretty cheap to find and fairly easy to put some good sleeves in to get some displacement plus being compact and light weight looks pretty good. The GM LS 4.8 is the cheapest and I am most familiar with it but without a 4 valve head boost is going to get up stressing the motor more. Not sure if it would live.
I'm not sure on the weight of the two cam 4.6 mod engine but the aluminum blocks are pretty light. The packaging is huge that's for sure. Whenever I have one here on the engine stand it seems like there's always somebody asking, "how big of an engine is that?"!!
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

DaveMcLain wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:46 pm
jet1 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:56 pm I think it will boil down to cost and availability. The Coyote motor ya for sure that would be awesome but getting one cheap then doing the mods would start getting me close to the 4 rotor. The Ford mod motor could be a possibility other than they are huge and pretty heavy. The VQ35 looks to be pretty cheap to find and fairly easy to put some good sleeves in to get some displacement plus being compact and light weight looks pretty good. The GM LS 4.8 is the cheapest and I am most familiar with it but without a 4 valve head boost is going to get up stressing the motor more. Not sure if it would live.
I'm not sure on the weight of the two cam 4.6 mod engine but the aluminum blocks are pretty light. The packaging is huge that's for sure. Whenever I have one here on the engine stand it seems like there's always somebody asking, "how big of an engine is that?"!!
Yea the 4.6 on a stand next to a BFF 460 makes the 4.6 look like the BB of the two!
Craig.
Erland Cox
Guru
Guru

Post by Erland Cox »

ptuomov wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:39 pm
Erland Cox wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:37 pm 2,8 liter Volvo 4 cylinder 8V.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BknG6yT7cho

3 liter Volvo 16 valve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKv6_zPfDkY

Erland
How’d those run at peak power for 45 minutes? ;-)
Hot. I asked if it was for drag racing.

Erland
kimosabi
Pro
Pro

Post by kimosabi »

jet1 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:59 am The application is extreme endurance. runs at WOT for periods of up to 45 minutes. Cooling and intercooling is not an issue with a constant supply of cold water.
I agree that the rotary probably is pretty expensive and alot of boost would be required to get to 1000 hp. Same with the 2jz. The ls 4.8 interests me the most and parts and pieces are easy to get and are relatively cheap I also looked at the Ford mod motor but the weight starts to add up on them pretty quick. The Nissan engine looked good other than getting parts for it. So I guess I am kinda answering my own question a bit.

Now other than the block and engine covers when using the 4.8 lS what heads would work with such a small bore and displacement? Also when running a pushrod V8 7500 rpm sustained rpm may be a little on the high side. Thoughts?
You're boating! I like the Ford mod as well but for a simpler K.I.S.S approach I'd still go LS. 7500rpm sustained rpm is not a problem with good valvetrain geometry and I'd think about flooding the valvecovers as well for peace of mind. Valvetrain will get tested hard with forced induction, loads and sustained rpm in a boat at that power level with only 260ci. As far as weight go I'd do the numbers on a single turbo vs a set of twins, single turbo probably lighter.

Sounds like a fun project!
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

Erland Cox wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:41 pm Hot. I asked if it was for drag racing.
Erland
Which was the best question of the thread!
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

Here’s a bigger boat engine that’s pretty much state of the art:
D07C00F0-5C11-4DCF-96B3-51A40B694691.jpeg
You can destroked a cheap 4-valve modular Ford 4.6L to do almost exactly the same engine, just half the displacement. Stick one of those Cobra or Boss intake on it. And notice how the Mercury engine has two cylinders paired together feeding a turbo scroll per pair. This eliminates both 180 and 90 degree exhaust blowdown interference so you can run it with whatever rpms you like and with whatever cams you like.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
Put Search Keywords Here
jet1
Pro
Pro

Post by jet1 »

Yes it is endurance boat racing using a jet not a prop. WE have had one person run the QC4 mercury racing engine without issues other than the massive weight. Considering that the class it had to go into pitted it against 1800 hp t58 turbines weighing 400 lbs it had an uphill climb.
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

From the inter-webs:
When I built a 99 Cobra engine I had a chance to weigh the parts up on a 400 lbs shipping scale.
Complete 32V heads with cams - 62.5 lbs. each
Short block (aluminum block, crank, rods and pistons) - 154 lbs.
99 Cobra intake with throttle body and fuel rails - 31.5 lbs.
Assembled short block with heads, oil pan, timing cover, water pump and stock flywheel - 369 lbs.
That makes a long block about 400 lbs. without exhaust manifolds.
Alternator - 13.5 lbs.
Power steering pump with pulley - 7 lbs.
A/C compressor - 15 lbs.
Stock flywheel - 21 lbs.
Put Search Keywords Here
kimosabi
Pro
Pro

Post by kimosabi »

jet1 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:44 am Yes it is endurance boat racing using a jet not a prop. WE have had one person run the QC4 mercury racing engine without issues other than the massive weight. Considering that the class it had to go into pitted it against 1800 hp t58 turbines weighing 400 lbs it had an uphill climb.
Twin turbo LS 4.8 destroked to 4.25. Hands down the most cost, reliability and weight effective approach you have. That size engine is a real good twin turbo platform IMHO especially using jets as they don't hug the water like a prop does. What's the weight and length of the boat BTW?
jet1
Pro
Pro

Post by jet1 »

21 feet approx 1750 lb with a cast iron LS in it no fuel. so no motor approx 1150 lbs.
tt 383
Expert
Expert

Post by tt 383 »

Build it from an aluminum 5.3. same bore, cost more but weight problem solved...
Curtis Mc

Post by Curtis Mc »

Just throwing it out there as an honest question to those who know or have first hand experience - will a stock 4.8 block survive 800-1000hp in a high load endurance application? Seems like based on the situation this engine is expected to live in, an LSX block (if that's your direction) would make sense.

A lot of good roundy-round, drag, pulling, and road race experience on this board, but this is a bit of a different animal.