MSD won't repair there own products

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

oldhead
Expert
Expert

MSD won't repair there own products

Post by oldhead »

They said NO to my friends MSD 7-3, Sounds like a rip off?? Years ago they fixed my 6al at a very low cost. Oldhead
Quicker then most
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: MSD won't repair there own products

Post by mag2555 »

It's called making more money on hopefully selling you new stuff!
These are sad times!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
turbo2256b
Pro
Pro

Post by turbo2256b »

THAT WAS PROBABLY before they were bought out
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

I wonder if that box has some components that are no longer available? A few months ago I had a 6AL box repaired by MSD and it was one I bought in 1994. I think it cost about $60 to get it working as good as new.

I tend to think of MSD sort of Fender back in the 1970's. They had produced a lot of great guitar amps in the '50's and '60's and they still were working just fine even in the mid '70's. People who played in bands and stuff saw no real reason to buy the new equipment so Fender became their own worst competition. I think that's exactly what happened to MSD. If I bought a box in 1994, ran it for 75,000 miles and then used it on my dyno for another 15 years before it failed that's some tough competition.
andyf
Guru
Guru

Post by andyf »

oldhead wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:48 am They said NO to my friends MSD 7-3, Sounds like a rip off?? Years ago they fixed my 6al at a very low cost. Oldhead
They just fixed a 7AL box for me. Maybe your friend doesn't know how to ask nice for service.
Andy F.
AR Engineering
nickpohlaandp
Pro
Pro

Post by nickpohlaandp »

turbo2256b wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:57 am THAT WAS PROBABLY before they were bought out
I might be totally off on this, but isn't their new stuff made in China? I think I remember seeing somewhere that MSD and Pertronix stuff are the same.
Never half ass two things... Whole ass one thing!
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

Most likely the phone or computer you typed this on was made in China also...
nickpohlaandp
Pro
Pro

Post by nickpohlaandp »

cgarb wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:32 pm Most likely the phone or computer you typed this on was made in China also...
Don't get me wrong, I've got no issue with China. I like their stuff. Moo Goo Gai Pan, Mu Shu Pork, Chinese Checkers, and various engine parts. I was just posing a question more than anything.
Never half ass two things... Whole ass one thing!
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

Modern electronics are assembled by robots using surface mounted components and cost virtually zero to make.

Fixing things is a different story, most of the time it's impractical due to how they're made.

Just go buy a new one?
Or don't buy MSD.
shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Post by shoedoos »

Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

oldhead wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:48 am They said NO to my friends MSD 7-3, Sounds like a rip off?? Years ago they fixed my 6al at a very low cost. Oldhead
Does that unit have potted circuit boards? Far as I know, MSD has never repaired any of their products with potted circuits.
cgarb wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:32 pm Most likely the phone or computer you typed this on was made in China also...
What is the relevance of that?
Circlotron
Guru
Guru

Post by Circlotron »

7AL3 has some custom chips in it and most everything is covered in this tough clear lacquer. Several boards sandwiched together and a bit of a pig to get apart IIRC.
PFC1
Expert
Expert

Post by PFC1 »

I had a 7AL3 on my dyno a few years ago, lost the bottom end of my personal motor because of it. Would jump 15* in timing out of nowhere. Did not figure it out until I setup to dyno another motor and this time I caught it. Sent it in for repair. Paid the bill. And just accidentally caught it doing the same thing just as I was about to dyno another motor.

Westech told me a couple years ago they do not work on the 7AL3. Perhaps that has changed now.

Bret
Pullin' for Christ
emsvitil
Pro
Pro

Post by emsvitil »

If they can't repair it, they should sell you a new one for the cost of a repair.
Ed
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Early 2000 I had several friends with their boxs and retards, after sending them in MSD claimed their was nothing wrong with them but strangely they worked perfect once returned.

The thought was that they were fixing them but not admitting a problem in case someone wanted to sue for a damaged engine.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!