Who's making Jegs Oil Pumps?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

GARY C
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Who's making Jegs Oil Pumps?

Post by GARY C »

cgarb wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:25 pm I have a stock BBC pump on my stepbrothers 355, been working good for 3 years now. Everyone has a different theory with oil systems and when set up correctly most of them do work well. Kind of funny though how someone can have trouble and swear that a (example) high volume pump sucked the pan dry. Someone else won't use nothing but high volume pumps without issue ever.
True, I would not recommend this Milodon style pick up because the two I have ran the screen box broke off the tube.
The first one I just fished out of the pan with a coat hanger and kept running it on the tube alone...I would not recommend that either but I never had a problem with it. :D
http://www.jegs.com/i/Milodon/697/18312/10002/-1
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

I run the 16 dollar pickup tube that came with the 79 dollar Big End performance oil pan...lol. Never had any trouble with it. I did work on the trap door hinge a little and add an extra baffle. Works for bracket racing.
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

cgarb wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:25 pm I have a stock BBC pump on my stepbrothers 355, been working good for 3 years now. Everyone has a different theory with oil systems and when set up correctly most of them do work well. Kind of funny though how someone can have trouble and swear that a (example) high volume pump sucked the pan dry. Someone else won't use nothing but high volume pumps without issue ever.
The story about a high volume oil pump "sucking the pan dry is an old wives tale - just doesn't happen.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

I wouldn't believe that to be true either. I was just using it as an example. I would believe blocked oil drainback passages could cause that type of problem. I would also believe about high volume pumps causing aerated oil to give oiling problems. Foam does not lubricate well. I am not a believer in high volume pumps in race engines.
rapidride2
HotPass
HotPass

Post by rapidride2 »

I rolled the dice and bought a Milodon std. pressure/volume with hopes of it not being a re-boxed up-priced Melling. We'll see how it goes...
resurrectionjoe
Pro
Pro

Post by resurrectionjoe »

rapidride2 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:27 am I rolled the dice and bought a Milodon std. pressure/volume with hopes of it not being a re-boxed up-priced Melling. We'll see how it goes...
Milodons are not reboxed mellings.

Well at least not the SBC ones that I use.

Very nice pump for the money.

I use them all the time as an alternative to a melling select.
resurrectionjoe
Pro
Pro

Post by resurrectionjoe »

rapidride2 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:27 am I rolled the dice and bought a Milodon std. pressure/volume with hopes of it not being a re-boxed up-priced Melling. We'll see how it goes...
Since I was in the shop today I figured I'd provide a little photographic proof that milodon SBC pumps are not reboxed Mellings
milodonresize.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Melling performance pump.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
rapidride2
HotPass
HotPass

Post by rapidride2 »

Thanks guys....
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

related; I used a small block pump in a couple of BBC comp eliminator engines years ago.
Anyone ever do that?+
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

Dave, what was your reasoning for using the SBC pumps? I heard that the standard BBC pumps actually pump less volume than a SBC.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Can't speak to which flows more. No way to know at the time but we figured the stock SBC was enough but would also reduce some drag.
Had no way to prove it but it seemed logical at the time. Oh yeah and it was less weight.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

resurrectionjoe wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:15 pm
Since I was in the shop today I figured I'd provide a little photographic proof that milodon SBC pumps are not reboxed Mellings
I doubt that Milodon manufacturers their own oil pumps. The tooling and equipment necessary to manufacture parts such as this runs into the hundreds of thousands of dollars for each design and Milodon is not that large of an operation. A company who manufacturers parts on a private-label basis will often times cast the part with the customer's name and/or casting number. It's very easily done and the oil pump in your picture could very well be a Melling product too.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

cgarb wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:03 pm Dave, what was your reasoning for using the SBC pumps? I heard that the standard BBC pumps actually pump less volume than a SBC.
Thats interesting, most of the claims I have seen is that the BBC pump is about 10% higher volume than the SBC in stock form and the 12 tooth gear vs the 7or 9 tooth (I think thats the correct #) provides smoother flow and less negative effect on distributor.

I have not been able to find any data from Melling.
Please Note!
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Its links seem to be inoperative, but this article speaks to some of the preceding questions http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp-091 ... oil-pumps/

BTW, if you go online for a hydraulic pump power calculator and punch in say 70 psi, 8 GPM and 90% efficiency, the result is a remarkably small power requirment... :-k
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.