Fram oil filters

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

oldhead
Expert
Expert

Fram oil filters

Post by oldhead »

I guess like me You would not ever use them again. I made a order to ROCK AUTO in it I asked for 2 WIX filters. They sent Fram, I sent message back to them saying WIX, I just recived 2 more frams free......They have NO phone...Would you use them???...Oldhead
Quicker then most
Baprace
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Fram oil filters

Post by Baprace »

IMHO they should be ok for street use.
Roundybout
Pro
Pro

Post by Roundybout »

There are a few sites (bobistheoilguy for that one) that people have cut open various brands and it's very informative how they're made. Some are crappy and glued together. Different filter media and area. Different bypass parts of cheap plastic.

This is one example of you get what you pay for. Seeing how inexpensive filters are and how vital, it's worth the couple bucks for a good quality filter.
mark_follweiler

Post by mark_follweiler »

why on earth would you order oil filters online? if you want wix, find someone with wix. if you do not have a wix dealer close by, go to napa!
woody b
Guru
Guru

Post by woody b »

Personally I wouldn't put a Fram filter on my mower.
I used to be a people person, but people ruined it.
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

I'm one who cuts open used filters. Do it on every new motor on the dyno. After comparing Wix , NAPA gold, Carquest (which are all made by Wix) to Fram, its easy to see why they are a couple bucks cheaper.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

oldhead wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:52 pm I guess like me You would not ever use them again. I made a order to ROCK AUTO in it I asked for 2 WIX filters. They sent Fram, I sent message back to them saying WIX, I just recived 2 more frams free......They have NO phone...Would you use them???...Oldhead
What application? What part # wix? Thanks.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
John Wallace
Guru
Guru

Post by John Wallace »

I'm one who cuts open used filters.
With the Fram, you cut it open 1st to see how good it is?

:D
John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com
Zmechanic
Pro
Pro

Post by Zmechanic »

SupStk wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:07 pm I'm one who cuts open used filters.
+1 to that. The 51061r wix filters have metal caps on the filter element, and I've pulled the element pleats apart hard and never torn one while inspecting. (I have cut the $%^& out of my fingers on the caps though! (no need to deburr on a part that's not meant to be exposed I guess). They are also one of the few that will publish flow rates and burst pressures.

IIRC some Frams have cardboard endcaps holding the element in place. no thanks.
turdwilly
Pro
Pro

Post by turdwilly »

woody b wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:00 pm Personally I wouldn't put a Fram filter on my mower.
This. I cut a few open myself many years ago. Fram, Motorcraft, AC Delco, Hastings, Purolator. All were very similar in construction except for the Fram. Very cheaply made, cardboard ends, stamped metal bypass as opposed to the actual coil spring bypass on the others. And a piece of kite string tied around the center of the filter media for some reason. No joke. My boss back then (who knew very little about things mechanical) thought Fram was the best you can get, presumably due to their heavy TV advertising campain. Our parts room looked like Halloween.

That was probably 25 years ago. Hopefully Fram has made improvements.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

mark_follweiler wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:37 pm why on earth would you order oil filters online? if you want wix, find someone with wix. if you do not have a wix dealer close by, go to napa!
Yep, go to Napa if you need Wix, just use the last for digits of the part number (leave off the "5")
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
oldhead
Expert
Expert

Post by oldhead »

Rock Auto WIX 51036 $3.87, Eleswhere $7 to $8 bought 4 saved $12.50, Shipping free cause it came with my brake drum :D :D :D :D Oldhead PS: For my 95 Chev. wagon
Quicker then most
novadude
Guru
Guru

Post by novadude »

Fram has been using fiber end caps since the 1970s. I'd use them and not worry about it.

I would not deliberately choose Fram, but if I had 'em, I'd run them without worry. Millions sold per year to people who probably do not even practice regular filter changes, and how many filter-related engine failures?

Dissecting filters is good, and all, but it doesn't tell you anything about media quality. I'd rather have a Fram than a china filter with metal end caps, and questionable media.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

I've had Fram filters collapse internally, several times. Only discovered because I had eliminated the oil filter bypass on the engines.

Call from a customer. "I have low oil pressure, and it goes lower when I rev the engine". I ask if it has a Fram filter and if so, change it and call back. Problem
Fixed!
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Post by shoedoos »

Have a look at the Jomar filters......