Cryogenic Treatment

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

DCal
Expert
Expert

Re: Cryogenic Treatment

Post by DCal »

I cryo tested a piston for a Pro Mod customer, he was interested in longevity and we wanted to know if it changed dimensionally. Ring grooves in particular. He then ran that piston with the untreated pistons with no appreciable difference. He didn't order any more so we did not push that process while not discouraging those who swore by it. Mondello in particular wanted to treat everything in the motor.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

From the reference point of absolute zero, cryogenic treatment is just 'heat treating' and I see no reason why all metals should respond the same.. :-k
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
4vpc
Pro
Pro

Post by 4vpc »

Is it possible to do a back to back test and what test would you perform?
Given we are dealing with 'durability' (I think) I guess it's a tough one hence no-one seemingly done it.
There is no S on the end of RPM.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Maybe something along the lines of changing up one front rotor, then when the first pair is used up, put a cryo part on the other side...
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

You need to do proper lab test for wear resistance, hardness, strength, fatigue etc and then look at the microstructure to see what is going on if anything. Field testing is a long way from being conclusive as it's always quite uncontrolled
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

My apology if this was answered in the previous posts... but does aluminum show any benefits from this treatment? The company that makes the rockers I use currently offers cryo as an upgrade for them, but I've never understood where the advantage for aluminum would be? Thanks - Brad
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

Schurkey wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:15 pm
fdicrasto wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:53 amAn interesting story at the time involved 5 hp Briggs and Stratton engines fully assembled being cryoed and claims that when run and oil changed, little or no contamination in oil compared to non treated engines. As far as documenting improvements, I can only say that after 30+ years that block is still in one piece making 1000+ NA hp as of this spring.
Mother Of God! A 5-horse Briggs making 1000+ NA hp, and doing it for thirty-plus years

:)
Haha...was think that too...impressive... :D
4vpc
Pro
Pro

Post by 4vpc »

digger wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:28 pm You need to do proper lab test for wear resistance, hardness, strength, fatigue etc and then look at the microstructure to see what is going on if anything. Field testing is a long way from being conclusive as it's always quite uncontrolled
If you put one treated rotor and one untreated on the front it would be quite a reasonable test. Wish i'd thought about it before as I've had a few done.
There is no S on the end of RPM.