New 406 Build is Pretty Quiet

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

RD_Racing
New 406 Build is Pretty Quiet

Post by RD_Racing »

New member here :D
Just fired up my new motor for my 73 back halved Vega and was pretty surprised to find its way quieter than the old motor that was probably 1/2 the power or less.. The old motor that came with the car was a bone stock 350 short block (flattop pistons) with thumper cam, iron eagle 200cc heads and 1-3/4" headers.. The new motor is a 406 with 6" rods, 11:7-1 compression (wiseco pistons +8cc), Pro Topline 220cc heads and a Lunati cam (Dur @ 050 .258/.268, LSA/ICL: 106/102, .620 lift) and the "same" headers.. Both motors used the same tunnel ram, carbs and ignition.. This new motor is about as loud with open headers as the old low compression motor was with mufflers. LOL.. Is it possibly the cam profile or the Topline heads? My old 65 Chevy II that had a 406 in it was probably twice as loud.. It just seems really weird that its so quiet like something isnt right.. It seems to run and idle perfect, I just wont be able to drive it until spring
fdicrasto
Expert
Expert
Re: New 406 Build is Pretty Quiet

Post by fdicrasto »

Based on what info you have given, quieter could be better.
gnicholson
Pro
Pro

Post by gnicholson »

Sounds like a good problem to have. Probably has to do with a change in the exhausts resonant frequency
RD_Racing

Post by RD_Racing »

Unless my 5" Autometer tac is off, I'm ideling at about 1400rpm, anything lower than that seems to low and almost sounds more like a extremely low compression gargling idle (it just doesn't sound right)
RD_Racing

Post by RD_Racing »

Here are a few videos

The old 350 motor with 3" pipes and flowmaster mufflers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VeagXGo_0A

The new 406 motor with open headers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T-BOfcg4IM

It just seems like the exhaust pulses are weak with the new motor
judgement_impared

Post by judgement_impared »

Did you degree the cam?
Who set the lash and at what?
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

High compression and retarded cams made my car much quieter and low compression and advanced cams made it a lot louder. It makes sense, but the change was larger than I expected.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Noise isn't power. A bit OT, but while at a vintage sports car race, a 911 Porsche was the loudest car in his class and was also one of the slowest.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

PackardV8 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:06 am Noise isn't power. A bit OT, but while at a vintage sports car race, a 911 Porsche was the loudest car in his class and was also one of the slowest.
There's a few Mustangs around here like that. Loud, overly obnoxious exhaust but they're hardly moving. Seems to be a common thing among the younger Mustang owners these days.

Only thing I can suggest is to compare it to the new motor with the mufflers back on and see how that changes it. It may sound more similar to the last motor and you don't even know it. Personally, I think it sounds better now.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
kimosabi
Pro
Pro

Post by kimosabi »

I noticed the same with my 400. Cam is 2degrees retarded because of close to limit on pump gas and compression. The stock ~8:1 350 was equally loud with restrictive mufflers. Stepping on it is a differnet story though.
RD_Racing

Post by RD_Racing »

judgement_impared wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:30 pm Did you degree the cam?
Who set the lash and at what?
Yes ICL is 102 and it was degreed at 101.
Lash is set per cam card .022/.024
RD_Racing

Post by RD_Racing »

midnightbluS10 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:29 am
PackardV8 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:06 am Noise isn't power. A bit OT, but while at a vintage sports car race, a 911 Porsche was the loudest car in his class and was also one of the slowest.
Only thing I can suggest is to compare it to the new motor with the mufflers back on and see how that changes it. It may sound more similar to the last motor and you don't even know it. Personally, I think it sounds better now.
I bolted the same flowmasters on and it toned it way down, it almost sounds like a stock 350, lol
NormS
Vendor

Post by NormS »

" Unless my 5" Autometer tac is off, I'm ideling at about 1400rpm, anything lower than that seems to low and almost sounds more like a extremely low compression gargling idle (it just doesn't sound right)"

I suspect that the duration of your new cam is considerably longer than your old thumper cam. That increased duration is going to need more initial ignition advance, and possibly small air bypass holes drilled in the butterflies to get them in the right position at idle. If you have less than 20° of initial now, try putting it somewhere in the 20-25° range, and see if that improves your idle, once you re-adjust your idle speed and idle mixture.
If that helps, then you would need to shorten the advance curve, so that you can run that increased initial and still have a reasonable amount of total advance.
Also, the thumper series of cams was meant to make noise, by way of their increased overlap, possibly putting more raw fuel into the exhaust.
Competition Fuel Systems Birch Run,MI. www.compfuelsystems.com/index.html 520-241-2787
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

RD_Racing wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:18 am
midnightbluS10 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:29 am
I bolted the same flowmasters on and it toned it way down, it almost sounds like a stock 350, lol
Why flowmasters and which models? I've been trying to get a low compression, early EVO engine quieter and I've ended up with different kind of muffler.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
RD_Racing

Post by RD_Racing »

NormS wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:30 am " Unless my 5" Autometer tac is off, I'm ideling at about 1400rpm, anything lower than that seems to low and almost sounds more like a extremely low compression gargling idle (it just doesn't sound right)"

I suspect that the duration of your new cam is considerably longer than your old thumper cam. That increased duration is going to need more initial ignition advance, and possibly small air bypass holes drilled in the butterflies to get them in the right position at idle. If you have less than 20° of initial now, try putting it somewhere in the 20-25° range, and see if that improves your idle, once you re-adjust your idle speed and idle mixture.
If that helps, then you would need to shorten the advance curve, so that you can run that increased initial and still have a reasonable amount of total advance.
Also, the thumper series of cams was meant to make noise, by way of their increased overlap, possibly putting more raw fuel into the exhaust.
My distributor is locked out at 34 degrees. I did notice the new motor seems to burn allot cleaner at idle compared to the old thumper cam. I had a hard time keeping plugs clean at idle on the old motor. I don't see any adjustments for cracking open the secondaries on these old carbs so I may try drilling an 1/8" hole in the butterflies like we did back in the ole school days..