Spark Plug Recommendations...

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

PFC1
Expert
Expert

Spark Plug Recommendations...

Post by PFC1 »

In truck pull applications I've used many Autolite AR132s and AR133s. Does anyone have any recommendations other than NGK? I'm not an NGK fan but may have to try them a while if know one has any better recommendations.

Thanks, Bret
Pullin' for Christ
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Re: Spark Plug Recommendations...

Post by Geoff2 »

NGK are hard to beat...
Zmechanic
Pro
Pro

Post by Zmechanic »

What is making you want to try something else in the first place?
PFC1
Expert
Expert

Post by PFC1 »

Zmechanic wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:42 am What is making you want to try something else in the first place?
On high RPM big blocks with iron heads, detonation can be a problem. Even running them down a few degrees of timing from best dyno power and pretty fat. I am thinking that possibly the fact that the Autolite plugs are stainless that they may not be extracting the heat out of the ground strap well enough causing pre-ignition. However, after reading about the relatively quick destruction from pre-ignition, I'm thinking this is not the issue.

Thanks, Bret
Pullin' for Christ
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

Autolite do race series non resistor plugs ,to the best of my knowledge they also have non booster gap full continuity center electrodes , we used 2592's in fuel motors some years back because they would not haze the ground straps easily .Obviously you would run the heat range dictated by your circumstances .
Basically heat range required is based on the porcelain reaching somewhere around 400°c this is the self cleaning temp required by the porcelain , if the porcelain is white and blistered ,the next heat ranges up are required till the porcelain is clean but not blistered if the tune is know to be safe.Conversely if the porcelain is fouling and there is no physical reason for it {possibly running way fat or oil blow by} a hotter plug is required.
Ground straps hazing or burning {and porcelain is ok} is different and requires attention to tune or physical circumstances {pre ignition or dets} but a colder heat range can not necessarily make a ground strap stay in place.
We used NGK in earlier engines {B9EG} and they performed well in a dual plug application ,but when we went to single plug application the Autolite 2592 was physically stronger. These are only my experiences in what we ran at the time ,i'm sure others will have more pertinent knowledge to your application.

Cheers.